April 02, 2020, 12:55:48 PM

Author Topic: FD LSx swap subframe - RONIN's design  (Read 5262 times)

Offline fastfalcon94

Re: FD LSx swap subframe - RONIN's design
« Reply #90 on: March 20, 2020, 09:47:12 PM »
Can you give more details when you say the engine placement is similar to to the samberg setup? Will it place the engine higher? lower? More forward? More backwards? I had my hood modified to help with clearance before paint. Even in the second pic you can see some white grease where it still barely hit. I trimmed the coupler to make it half an inch shorter and it doesn't touch right now but has to be very close.

Offline frijolee

« Reply #91 on: March 23, 2020, 07:42:12 PM »
Out of curiosity, will there be an option if we only want the subframe or will this be an entire kit only with say transmission brace, diff brace, and subframe?

I ask because some of us have the diff brace or 8.8 conversion and transmission brace already.

Subframe only will be an option.  We're thinking about folks who want to upgrade not sure new folks.

Can you give more details when you say the engine placement is similar to to the samberg setup? Will it place the engine higher? lower? More forward? More backwards?

To help with backward compatibility we're mounting the engine almost dead nuts were Samberg had his.  There was a bit of irregularity in scan data, so I did bias on the low side but best guess it's 0.040-0.060 lower and the same fore/aft, left right.

We need the engine as high as is reasonable to help be sure we have enough range for steering correction.  As found testing the factory subframe, we no longer trust Mazda as having optimized bumpsteer, so we need to leave some margin in how much correction is needed and that meant keeping things close to the hood.  For what it's worth, we're actually exploring making our own engine mounts so we can play with durometer.
LS2 stroker FC, Mandeville big brakes, widebody, etc
Build thread:  http://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=1274.0
www.roninspeedworks.com

LargeOrangeFont says: "Joel is right, and I love Joel. But his car sounds like the wrath of God."   ;)

Online MPbdy

« Reply #92 on: March 23, 2020, 07:48:13 PM »
Joel you might want to consider putting isolated engine mounts on the block and running a solid pedestal to the subframe.

You’ll get way more real estate for an actual bushing that way.

Offline frijolee

« Reply #93 on: March 23, 2020, 08:25:08 PM »
Joel you might want to consider putting isolated engine mounts on the block and running a solid pedestal to the subframe.

You’ll get way more real estate for an actual bushing that way.

True but we'd really like to maintain as much backward compatibility as we can and the pedestals we offer better clearance for installation for headers from below and such.  There are always more ways to skin a cat, but I do have some distinct thoughts on how I'd improve the biscuit isolators (while keeping compatibility).  If we were jumping into making bushings we'd of course have to make some for the 8.8s as well.  The Ford housing has surprisingly few options.

www.roninspeedworks.com

LargeOrangeFont says: "Joel is right, and I love Joel. But his car sounds like the wrath of God."   ;)

Online MPbdy

« Reply #94 on: March 23, 2020, 10:36:25 PM »
Oh I’d love some exploder front bushings

Offline MerkLs2

« Reply #95 on: March 24, 2020, 12:42:22 AM »

Subframe only will be an option.  We're thinking about folks who want to upgrade not sure new folks.

woo WOO  :)
93 FD • 6.0 LSx • T56 Magnum • Brilliant Black

Offline frijolee

« Reply #96 on: March 24, 2020, 03:03:19 PM »
Good news.  The cut flat parts have shipped from our supplier.  I was getting worried they might get hung up in all the lockdowns.  Puts the onus back on me to finish up the trans mount, but it's good news either way.  Cut tubes are already on hand. 
www.roninspeedworks.com

Offline Exidous

« Reply #97 on: March 24, 2020, 05:58:05 PM »
Any pics of the trans bar? You planning on using the Samberg morning points?
94 BB Sleeved gen IV LS7, MS3ProU with TC, RONIN 8.8 and LT's with custom 3.5"single to VAREX muffler.

Offline dtsan

• Pre-Staging
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 25, 2020, 12:15:40 PM »
Woohoo! Some good news among all this CORVID chaos right now. Thanks for pushing on with the work folks!
My FD is empty and ready for the subframe. Looking forward to putting the 5.3/tr6060 in so I can build my trans mount and everything else. :)