December 15, 2019, 03:31:13 PM

Author Topic: I知 sick! Mystery hood dimple!  (Read 841 times)

Offline kinger

I知 sick! Mystery hood dimple!
« on: October 17, 2019, 08:57:24 PM »
Just noticed this morning, a flipping dimple which has appeared out of no where.  I haven稚 even opened the hood!  I知 just sick!  I値l be checking motor mounts guess. Look at those cracks!  The hood is like a black chrome mirror and was my favorite part of the car!  Some days just stink!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
93 Touring, 6.3L, T56 Magnum, Mamo RPS BC2 clutch, FAST 90, NW 90TB TB, 8.8, samberg everything, AC, PS, TC, Cruise, LED Tails, HID head lights

Offline wickedrx7

Re: I知 sick! Mystery hood dimple!
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2019, 09:12:54 PM »
Holy hell. I'm so sorry to see that. 

1993 Touring, 2012 L99, T-56, Ronnin 8.8, Ohlins, Speedhut, Samberg and lots of custom parts
Build Thread - http://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=19354.0
Pictures - www.flikr.com/wickedrx7

Offline kinger

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2019, 09:25:48 PM »
I know! makes me wanna puke  :barf:

Totally ruins the car for me until its fixed.  I was trying hard to store it in a couple of weeks with all the repairs, new trans, tuning, etc in pristine condition. 

Oh well maybe I'll remove the hood and take it to a body shop this winter for repair.  Still just kills me.  I would like to figure out what happened.  The support beam underneath has almost 1/4" of clearance so I don't think the motor can flex that much especially up and down in that spot I could maybe see on the side as the engine rocked, this is dead center on the TB. 
93 Touring, 6.3L, T56 Magnum, Mamo RPS BC2 clutch, FAST 90, NW 90TB TB, 8.8, samberg everything, AC, PS, TC, Cruise, LED Tails, HID head lights

Offline wickedrx7

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2019, 09:28:28 PM »
What kit, motor mount style? If it is the biscut style ronnin mounts, if you lost a nut the motor could definitely move that much.

1993 Touring, 2012 L99, T-56, Ronnin 8.8, Ohlins, Speedhut, Samberg and lots of custom parts
Build Thread - http://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=19354.0
Pictures - www.flikr.com/wickedrx7

Offline Gunnytron

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2019, 02:47:48 AM »
That really sucks. I know I'd be the same if I had paintwork like that. As it happens my paint is crap. Its a lot less stressful.
http://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=12880.0
FD, LS1 running 220 3.90 Trickflow heads, Comp Ultra-gold Arc 1.72 Rockers, 7.550 BTR Pushrods, BTR Stage II NA Cam 227/234 .614"/.576" 113+2, ARP Head Bolts, BTR Platinum Springs, Ported FAST 90, NW 90mm TB, FAST 60lb Injectors, Textralia Clutch/Flywheel, T56, Cobra 8.8, 31 spline, trac-loc 3.55 Diff, Holley HP EFI, Racelogic TC.

Offline Cobranut

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2019, 04:01:32 AM »
Ouch!  Hate to see that man. :(
1995 FD, 7.0 Liter stroked LS3, T56, 8.8, Samberg kit.

Offline 65imp

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2019, 05:35:07 PM »
or while the trans work was getting done it allowed the engine to rock back without support.  That could pivot the throttlebody up and into the underside of the hood. 
I hear ya about how much paint blemishes just make ya sick.  Best of luck with the repair.
absolute power corrupts absolutely  :yay:
93 FD widebody - destroked
69 Suburban - positive manifold pressure
72 Blazer - 6speed 4wd
65 Impala - 5.7
59 cad  - WIP
53 spartan - shed status

Offline MPbdy

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2019, 06:36:27 PM »
or while the trans work was getting done it allowed the engine to rock back without support.  That could pivot the throttlebody up and into the underside of the hood. 
I hear ya about how much paint blemishes just make ya sick.  Best of luck with the repair.

I think you nailed it.

People have been known to destroy their intake manifold when it gets squished into the firewall too.  The trans holds up the tail of the engine.  It is back heavy how it is mounted in the car.

Offline Cobranut

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2019, 08:32:27 PM »

I think you nailed it.

People have been known to destroy their intake manifold when it gets squished into the firewall too.  The trans holds up the tail of the engine.  It is back heavy how it is mounted in the car.

That's true.  I was warned about that possibility, and pulled the intake before I dropped the transmission.
It's really not much work to pull the intake, and gives a bunch more room to pivot the motor back and get at the bellhousing bolts.
1995 FD, 7.0 Liter stroked LS3, T56, 8.8, Samberg kit.

Offline paul_3rdgen

• Supporting Member
  • Launching!
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2019, 08:41:05 PM »
Shit!! That sucks.  Or could be what I found in my car.   I found the rubber engine mount biscuits compressed enough that it allowed my motor to move freely.  I had to stack 2 washers per to take up the slack.  1/4 total per mount.

93 RX7 R1 500rwhp
LS2, H/C combo... ARE drysump
Race Logic traction Control and 4 wheel Stoptech BBK
3.73 gears installed in the stock diff  :o

Offline kinger

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2019, 09:58:27 AM »
I had the intake removed for trans pull. That is why I swapped the FAST 90 on instead of my LS6 intake.  I figured it had to come off anyway. 

It literally appeared about 2 weeks from trans install and I have no idea why. There appears to be plenty of clearance under there. 

It痴 the Samberg C5 mounts with biscuits I think it痴 referred to as. I got a sympathy card from people at work that noticed it lol.  They know how hard I try to keep the car pristine.

The paint cracking like that!  You would think it would just dimple.  Gah!

Offline Esser

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2019, 08:52:17 PM »
I had something similar happen to mine... I had a tech inspection person at an auto-x slam my hood shut. I have no latch and use hood pins so there was no reason to slam it. It cracked the paint like that. Luckily I was able to fix it in the garage with clear coat and a buffer