October 22, 2019, 02:53:23 PM

Author Topic: T56 Transmission Fluid for Track Application  (Read 337 times)

Offline PeakAlpha

T56 Transmission Fluid for Track Application
« on: October 07, 2019, 12:24:21 AM »
Fellow Pistards,

I wanted to ask a question of the track freaks on here. In the past I have run Valvoline Dex III synthetic which shifted horrible. After that, I read a bunch of stuff about how synthetic fluids didn't work great with the synchros on the T56 for whatever reason, so I switched to regular Valvoline Dex III. At the same time I did that, I also had heat wrapped my exhaust. At my next track day, the shifting was GREATLY improved, but the trans still tended to get a bit "sticky" at the end of a track session. What I mean by that is it would not want to go into gear on upshifts with the clutch fully depressed, and not synchronizing smoothly on downshifts (which gave me an opportunity to learn how to match my revs on heel-toe downshifts much more precisely, but still a pain in the schlong).

Anyways, I dealt with this most of last season, and then over the summer I have rebuilt my T56, so it is now installed without fluid atm. I bought a temperature sender so that I can start reading trans temperatures, and while I am waiting for that to arrive, I am wondering about fluid. I emailed Tick Performance and asked about which fluid they would recommend. I put the newer style carbon blocker rings in there. Here is what their rep said;

"We recommend the conventional Dex III when running carbon blockers. They don't agree well at all with the synthetic fluid. As far as a trans cooler, that's never a bad option per se. It isn't required but if heat seems to be your issue, that may solve the problem"

So I guess my question is; does anybody have some actual experience with this? Does synthetic not work with the carbon blocker rings? What is the best fluid for the track? I have heard synchromesh works for street driving, but is it hard on the synchros? Anybody with actual testing please chime in! Looking for people who have run their trans on a road course and put some heat into it. Thanks pistards! :police:

Offline Exidous

Re: T56 Transmission Fluid for Track Application
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2019, 11:32:18 AM »
I used Redline D4 in my T-56 at Spa, the ring and brands hatch. All were on cool days and I do not have a cooler. It held up well and does great on the street. I was never going more than 80%. On a hot day a cooler might be necessary but otherwise was fine.
94 BB SBE LS1 Full Mamo top, MS3ProU with TC, RONIN 8.8 and another custom dual 2.5" stainless exhaust. Not too loud with the new resonators!

Offline Supe

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2019, 01:55:53 PM »
With carbon blockers, the Redline D4 is the ATF I hear with the LEAST complaints.  The Amsoil Syncromesh fluid is good for the track, but some complain it feels "notchy" in the cold because its at the high end of the kinematic viscosity index for trans fluids.  Some like the regular Amsoil ATF which ends up sort of upper-mid on the viscosity index. 

Synthetics were ALLEGEDLY an issue with the old style paper blocker rings, not the carbon ones, but I personally think that's BS and never met someone personally who had damage that couldn't be attributed to normal wear and tear.

Offline Exidous

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2019, 10:32:51 PM »
None of the Amsoil products worked for me as anecdotally as that is. A close second to the D4 is the AC Delco syncromesh. Not quite as nice cold but decent hot.
94 BB SBE LS1 Full Mamo top, MS3ProU with TC, RONIN 8.8 and another custom dual 2.5" stainless exhaust. Not too loud with the new resonators!

Offline PeakAlpha

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2019, 03:33:00 PM »
Awesome! Thanks for the info guys. Yeah I am skeptical about the claims of synthetic being inexplicably evil. I am going to pick up some D4 and give her a shot next weekend at BW. I will report back on what I find.

Offline Exidous

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2019, 11:00:18 PM »
Looking forward to your results.