May 29, 2020, 06:12:47 PM

Author Topic: One more...for my US murder capital hometown  (Read 1396 times)

Offline FourAces

One more...for my US murder capital hometown
« on: October 06, 2019, 08:07:27 PM »
This japan man car looks like a fish out of water in the US murder capital

I just want to ask the RX7 ppl here...you guys own a flagship car...I don't.

Could you ever foresee adding an SW20 to your garage? I've never owned a flagship 90s jap car, budget never allowed for it, so I just assumed once you get to that level, you're only looking for other flagship cars like Supras, NSXs, Skyline GTRs, RX7s, and (ugh) 3000gt vr-4s.

I mean we had a local, he had a clapped out GST eclipse back in the day. He got a Z06 brandnew, and he never went back to DSMs after that with seemingly no regrets.

Plus you guys are working with 3 2 liter mountain dew soda bottles for engines, I only have 1 2 liter mountain dew soda bottle for an engine, so even if my engine is built for Class A WRC and has a stock transmission built like a block of granite, it'd still be a downgrade compared to ur guys setups.

Im in kind of a sad pessimistic mood something happened on the homefront, ill get over it buy my autistic pessimism transfers over to postings here and social media.

Oh btw im kind of a weirdo, I was talking to another mr2 person i tell i dont really open up to people unless Im comfortable around them, such is the nature of autism, if I went to a car meet Id probably sit inside the car playing gran turismo on the playstation on the jvc 6.8 instead of socializing Im bad at socializing.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 08:14:39 PM by FourAces »

Offline staticx27

Re: One more...for my US murder capital hometown
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2019, 07:00:07 PM »
So, here’s the thing...

I don’t give a damn about owning a flagship car, I care about owning a car I love.

If I was in love with a DSM Eclipse, I wouldn’t give a damn about what other people thought about it.

I don’t like how the sw20 looks, but I can see why people love them, and wouldn’t disparage them, or someone’s love for them.

I would however look less favorably on someone who only collected a car for a notch in their belt, so to speak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline FourAces

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2019, 01:57:06 PM »
One thing I like about my SW20...even laymen can know about MKIV Supras and Skylines.

The SW20 was more or less ignored, it really shouldn't have been though. But it was.

https://driving.ca/toyota/auto-news/news/30-years-later-the-toyota-mr2-is-still-an-unsung-marvel

This article talks about what I'm referring to.

Offline Tomo

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2019, 04:37:40 PM »
Your photo shows St. Louis arch, but Murder Capital says Baltimore.

In any case, SW20 is a good car I've loved them and they are on my full 'dream garage' list. GF of mine in college picked up a N/A SW20 after we were dating (in manual) for a bit because she got inspired by the sports car life. It's a great car, fun to drive. Though I didn't love the way the electric steering adapted to speed (particularly its slow response to slowing down).

I've always thought the SW20 was a great car for track driving and great for adapting the car to track conditions. That said, I think you'd be better off with something like a V6 Swap into the SW20 given the smaller engine bay and space. There's a lot of work already done to document that swap and it mates with transmissions that don't require immense modifications (if not working with the Turbo trans).

As far as other cars go. I'm in agreement with others. I own cars because they are the cars that inspire and excite me. I can't get my wife to understand, she asks why it can't be a 'newer' car that I have interest in...pretty much all the time. (Though I did have a 2016 Mustang). But to me, I don't want a R32 Skyline...just to say I've touched one. I don't want a FD so I can say "I've owned one of the greats"..it's really more because of all the reasons it is 'one of the greats' that I've been sold on it.

In the end, a lot of my 'hero' cars I want in a ultimate garage comes from the era when I was learning about cars. Some of those cars, I've unfortunately had to accept have too many faults or are too difficult to source to be worth the effort. GC8 Impreza WRX for example. I'd love to have built a 2.5RS and throw WRX parts at it, and have this AWD older style Subaru and have a piece of WRC legacy. But...the chassis rust out particularly around the rear fenders and rockers too easily, there aren't that many in good shape, and getting parts would be a pain.

If you really love your SW20 (which based on the photo, you totally should TypeX lights give it a great look) I'd hold onto it. Regardless of whether it has the attention of the rest of the car community. It's one of the last "real" sports cars that Toyota made during their golden years. If you find yourself getting tired of the car, or uninterested. Ask yourself what you want it for, to look at? to enjoy the driving? to scare you and get a rush? Do you lust after other MR-2s? Are other people spending money on parts you want but can't justify? What in the end will make you happy is most important, and it probably should not depend so much on others. (the caveat being...having driven NSXs around..part of the grin factor is the head turning).

1990 RX-7 FC LS1 Swap
2016 Ford Mustang Ecoboost

Offline kukri

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2019, 09:07:46 AM »
I think it also depends on your budget and needs (or a combination of both).

I used to drive a 560 HP V8, now I drive a stock S2000 (weekend car).  I used to think that I would get back into the V8s by now, but after having test driven a few Z06s in the 600 HP mark, I didn't see much point anymore.  I can afford one, but rather just... not. Maybe the age has made me boring...  :scratch:

'08 C6 Z06
'00 S2000
'01 Golf VR5
'93 Base LSX 485 whp - sold
'93 Touring LS1 - sold
'90 TII 383ci SBC - sold
'88 GTU 302ci SBF - sold

Offline FourAces

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2019, 05:30:55 AM »
Your photo shows St. Louis arch, but Murder Capital says Baltimore.

In any case, SW20 is a good car I've loved them and they are on my full 'dream garage' list. GF of mine in college picked up a N/A SW20 after we were dating (in manual) for a bit because she got inspired by the sports car life. It's a great car, fun to drive. Though I didn't love the way the electric steering adapted to speed (particularly its slow response to slowing down).

I've always thought the SW20 was a great car for track driving and great for adapting the car to track conditions. That said, I think you'd be better off with something like a V6 Swap into the SW20 given the smaller engine bay and space. There's a lot of work already done to document that swap and it mates with transmissions that don't require immense modifications (if not working with the Turbo trans).

As far as other cars go. I'm in agreement with others. I own cars because they are the cars that inspire and excite me. I can't get my wife to understand, she asks why it can't be a 'newer' car that I have interest in...pretty much all the time. (Though I did have a 2016 Mustang). But to me, I don't want a R32 Skyline...just to say I've touched one. I don't want a FD so I can say "I've owned one of the greats"..it's really more because of all the reasons it is 'one of the greats' that I've been sold on it.

In the end, a lot of my 'hero' cars I want in a ultimate garage comes from the era when I was learning about cars. Some of those cars, I've unfortunately had to accept have too many faults or are too difficult to source to be worth the effort. GC8 Impreza WRX for example. I'd love to have built a 2.5RS and throw WRX parts at it, and have this AWD older style Subaru and have a piece of WRC legacy. But...the chassis rust out particularly around the rear fenders and rockers too easily, there aren't that many in good shape, and getting parts would be a pain.

If you really love your SW20 (which based on the photo, you totally should TypeX lights give it a great look) I'd hold onto it. Regardless of whether it has the attention of the rest of the car community. It's one of the last "real" sports cars that Toyota made during their golden years. If you find yourself getting tired of the car, or uninterested. Ask yourself what you want it for, to look at? to enjoy the driving? to scare you and get a rush? Do you lust after other MR-2s? Are other people spending money on parts you want but can't justify? What in the end will make you happy is most important, and it probably should not depend so much on others. (the caveat being...having driven NSXs around..part of the grin factor is the head turning).

I like the 3rd gen 3sgte...you can bump this up 50% more whp over stock with pretty much an ebay intercooler and a .50 trim kit turned up to 18lbs. That's a good amount of power for basically an intercooler and a turbokit.

I wanna build for some decent hp really. I like a good healthy amount, and I like the 5sgte. It's power delivery may not be as smooth as a V6, but you can get it up to an extra .3l of displacement, and increase the C:R for more useable power at the lower rpm's. Most people don't swap their Evo's or WRX STi's, evo's 4g63 is generally widely considered the ideal engine for the chassis, and my car uses Toyota's version of essentially a 4g63 and a couple hundred pounds lighter than an Evo, so by virtue of light weight even with less useable power in the lower end of the powerband it still has an easy time propelling itself.

Currently I'm using an OEM CT20b and that has plenty of power through the entire RPM band.