November 17, 2019, 08:16:09 AM

Author Topic: Watches  (Read 362 times)

Offline freeskier7791

Watches
« on: October 01, 2019, 07:56:14 AM »
Anyone else into watches?  I started wearing a cheap smartwatch I got for christmas a few years ago again, and it sparked my interest in getting something nice, I really enjoy not having to reach into my pocket to read the time off my phone.

I just bought one of these, and am already looking for another.  It seems like this new hobby could be as costly as cars!  :yay: Anyone else collect watches?

https://www.youtube.com/thedriftingdad
1985 Mazda RX7 GSL Drift Car

CCVT

Offline digitalsolo

• Administrator
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • LS1FC.com
Re: Watches
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2019, 10:02:59 AM »
I have a few, but absolutely nothing fancy.   A couple Citizens and an old, 1990s Tommy Hilfiger that a friend gave me in high school.

I wear a FitBit now though, so they donít get worn often.
Blake MF'ing McBride
1988 Mazda RX7 - Turbo LS1/T56/ProEFI/8.8/Not Slow...   sold.
1965 Mustang Coupe - TT Coyote, TR6060, modern brakes/suspension...  project car
2016 BMW 428i xDrive Gran Coupe - Completely stock...ish

Offline freeskier7791

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2019, 11:16:04 AM »
I have a few, but absolutely nothing fancy.   A couple Citizens and an old, 1990s Tommy Hilfiger that a friend gave me in high school.

I wear a FitBit now though, so they donít get worn often.

Citizen makes some cool watches, and the solar is cool.  I absolutely hate smart watches, I love all the engineering that goes into a mechanical watch

CCVT

Offline babillaracing

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2019, 11:43:29 AM »
I got 2 citizens ,1 tissot 1 movado and i want a tag heur
citizen makes a nice watch t good prices

Offline Venom13132

• Staged
  • 95 RX-7 LS1 T56 FEED Widebody
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • Venom Speed Shop
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2019, 01:12:54 PM »
I used to always wear Seko watches.  I wear a Garmin Fenix 5S plus now.  it looks more like a regular watch and has some pretty sweet features, was expensive though.
1995 RX-7 - LS1, T56: LS6 Intake, Feed wide body, Feed CF Side skirts, Ray's Gram Lights, K-Sport coilovers, 99 spec\ tails and spoiler, SpeedHut Gauges, Aeromotive fuel pump, TwinZ Rear Diffuser
2000 Ford Excursion - V10 Tow monster
2006 BMW 650i - 4.8l V8 6-Speed Manual - Daily Driver

Offline Bowtie7

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2019, 02:58:53 PM »
I've loved watches since I was a kid and have had a Rolex Submariner for over 30 years. Also have a TAG from around the same time, and a Gruen that is well over 100 yrs old. My go to rugged watch is a Luminox that Ive had for close to 10 yrs. Have not bought anything since the Luminox.
Mazcare build #10 1988 FC LS2 power now with Ronin Exploder diff setup

Offline nadeem

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2019, 10:45:35 PM »
Here's a watch you can own - But it will keep on breaking and you will have to keep on opening it up and fixing it.  And once you fix it - Some Fing else will break and you will spend more money to fix that and once that is fixed - Some Fing else will break and you will run into a Financial Disaster or FD.

Offline Supe

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2019, 07:24:21 AM »
My father is big into watches, and has some really nice ones (which is pretty funny, considering he's a super blue-collar guy who otherwise doesn't give a shit about what he wears so long as its clean-ish.)  He picked up the habit after a buddy of his got some screaming deals on used watches - he would watch for rich guys to trade in a generation-old model to upgrade, and grab it up on the cheap (cheap being a SUPER relative term, here).

I've got one really nice Tissot automatic with a ostrich leather band I had custom made from a guy up in Canada (Aaron Pimintel).  Never got into it too much other than browsing, though.  I hate jewelry/shit on my skin (my wife has to beg me just to wear my wedding ring as it is), so I only wear a watch when I have to dress up/go somewhere nice.

Offline frijolee

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2019, 05:07:13 PM »
Timex Ironman Shock edition for running and if I need one wrenching:

Citizen Calibre 5700 AT1000-50E for dressing up.  Eco-Drive (solar) power.  Second hand and stopwatch hand both have slipped though and don't reset to zero when using stopwatch.  My cell phone is a better stopwatch anyways...

Before I settle on the Citizen above I briefly ordered a  Citizen Calibre 2100 AV0021-52H Titanium also Eco-Drive.  It came in and 46mm was just way too big for me.  It felt pretentious since I don't have huge wrists so I sent it back.  Pretty bitching if you can pull it off though.

Have my father's auto winding mechanical Seiko he got in Vietnam somewhere but it has a crack and doesn't hold time.

I like watches, but I don't wear them enough to be into them and at the end of the day the more you have the more you have to maintain.  Seems like something always has a dead battery (or so I've been told).  Hell, that's why I've never gotten my Citizen's hands repaired.  Still has a nice band and looks dressy when required.  I do like the asymmetry of the layout with half moon bezels though.  I also dig the simple silver, black, red scheme.  I'll be running something similar for FJ40 gauges if I can ever finish the damn thing.
LS2 stroker FC, Mandeville big brakes, widebody, etc
Build thread:  http://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=1274.0
www.roninspeedworks.com

LargeOrangeFont says: "Joel is right, and I love Joel. But his car sounds like the wrath of God."   ;)

Offline freeskier7791

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2019, 12:32:50 PM »

Have my father's auto winding mechanical Seiko he got in Vietnam somewhere but it has a crack and doesn't hold time.

I like watches, but I don't wear them enough to be into them and at the end of the day the more you have the more you have to maintain.  Seems like something always has a dead battery (or so I've been told).  Hell, that's why I've never gotten my Citizen's hands repaired.  Still has a nice band and looks dressy when required.  I do like the asymmetry of the layout with half moon bezels though.  I also dig the simple silver, black, red scheme.  I'll be running something similar for FJ40 gauges if I can ever finish the damn thing.

Cool watches Joel, some of the bigger watches have great design but are hard to pull off.  I have been doing research and apparently you can get the tools to work on watches yourself, but I feel like that is a huge rabbit hole...I love watches for the fact that they can fit all that engineering, especially with an automatic watch, into something you wear on your wrist

CCVT