October 13, 2019, 03:58:48 PM

Author Topic: 5.3 baffled oil pan, what is the best for a drift setup?  (Read 508 times)

Offline Marley4us

5.3 baffled oil pan, what is the best for a drift setup?
« on: July 05, 2019, 06:07:19 PM »
Hi Guys and Gals of NoRotors!

I am building a 5.3 swapped FC. I have done some skid pads in my 5sgte mr2, and SR20det Swapped AE86. But I wanted to have a car I can take to drift days and actually start to learn more with, since I have only done it here and there. I have a lot to learn but wanted to build this budget project proper and thought I should ask what some of the more dedicated drift guys are using for there oil pan setups?

I have a 5.3 swapped to a F-body pan, I wanted to know if there any good kits to add baffling, or aftermarket pans that people recommend? Dry-sump would be best, but I am not sure I will need to go that far, as I am very much a amateur drifter.

anyone with personal experience recommend any products?

here are some of the things I found. Just not sure where to go or what would be best.

1)  Improved Racing EGM-200 Trap Door Oil Pan Baffle for GM LS Engines $239
     https://www.amazon.com/Improved-Racing-EGM-200-Baffle-Engines/dp/B00G5T2U8K

2)   Improved Racing Baffled Racing Oil Pan for LS1 Camaro / Firebird (F-Body)
      [Part # EGM-400] $574.95

I would love some suggestion.

Offline jwvand02

Re: 5.3 baffled oil pan, what is the best for a drift setup?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2019, 10:10:45 PM »
I have the EGM-200 in my car, that's what I'd recommend. Also while you're in there do the improved racing pickup tube brace (EGM-500) and a new pickup o-ring.

Offline largeorangefont

• Top Fuel
  • I steer with the gas pedal.
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2019, 10:20:42 AM »
I have the EGM-200 in my car, that's what I'd recommend. Also while you're in there do the improved racing pickup tube brace (EGM-500) and a new pickup o-ring.

Yes buy the Improved baffle, and run 1 quart extra oil. It will be fine after that. Just monitor your oil level.
Quote from: cool
Sell it to spacevomit.  He'll finish it.

Offline lsx88fc

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2019, 12:23:53 PM »
I have a stock fbody oil pan and itís been mint so far. They make a baffle to add to it but I havenít had any issue with oil pressure so far and I crank on my setup.

Offline Marley4us

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2019, 08:26:20 PM »
I might have messed up i got the Chevrolet Performance Musclecar Oil Pan Kits 19212593   https://www.summitracing.com/parts/nal-19212593

I thought this was a aftermarket option for the F-body Pans for 5.3 swap and ronin mount kit I have. I have not installed the motor yet.

I emailed Improved performance but I dont think they make baffleds for this pan. Anyone have any info? would love help. Will I have fitment issues with this pan and the ronin kit in my fc? and would any of ya recommend baffleds for this pan?

thanks everyone.

Offline largeorangefont

• Top Fuel
  • I steer with the gas pedal.
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2019, 08:31:45 PM »
You absolutely need the Fbody oil pan in a FC, period.

Buy the Improved drop in baffle for the F body pan. Also buy the Fbody dipstick and windage tray. The F body pan does not use a full windage tray because it is so shallow in front. You can cut down a full windage tray and it will work in lieu of the F body windage tray.
Quote from: cool
Sell it to spacevomit.  He'll finish it.