July 20, 2019, 12:19:26 PM

Author Topic: Home Theater Upgrade  (Read 663 times)

Offline Supe

Re: Home Theater Upgrade
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2019, 06:48:29 AM »
Oh man! That sucks. Were you present when the lightning struck? Where did it hit? The welder too!? I'd be so sad if that happened to me. The only good part is tech advances so fast you have the option of updating lineup with the latest tech or going with similar spec'd products at lower prices.

-groovin

In my living room - hit just outside the house!  Never seen a room light up like that in my life.  Tripped one breaker, but was enough to take out anything sensitive.  Not sure how it got the welder through the 220 line, but HDMI ports are no surprise.  They are a pretty terrible design in how sensitive they are to voltage spikes, even very minor ones.

I actually talked to my insurance agent about it.  Long story short, I got f*cked on a roof claim when I bought my house, and it wasn't worth risking losing my homeowners insurance over what would have been about a $3k delta after the deductible.  Agree totally on the power conditioner - have one of the APC's on my wish list.

Offline Cobranut

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2019, 11:57:24 AM »
You can also get whole house surge suppressors.  I'm looking into an Eaton unit, but I don't have time to look up the p/n right now.
1995 FD, 7.0 Liter stroked LS3, T56, 8.8, Samberg kit.

Offline sonicgroove

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2019, 03:39:45 PM »
Not to toot my own horn, but I have a MacPherson 18" Ported sub and 2 IS12x loudspeakers running off of a crown amp in my garage. :wave:

That's a good setup for a garage. Must be nice to work in there. Beer, music, car, maybe toss in a woman or two to finish off the perfect ambiance.

In my living room - hit just outside the house!  Never seen a room light up like that in my life.  Tripped one breaker, but was enough to take out anything sensitive.  Not sure how it got the welder through the 220 line, but HDMI ports are no surprise.  They are a pretty terrible design in how sensitive they are to voltage spikes, even very minor ones.

I actually talked to my insurance agent about it.  Long story short, I got f*cked on a roof claim when I bought my house, and it wasn't worth risking losing my homeowners insurance over what would have been about a $3k delta after the deductible.  Agree totally on the power conditioner - have one of the APC's on my wish list.

That must have been quite the experience. My balls would probably have climbed up into my stomach out of fear.

You can also get whole house surge suppressors.  I'm looking into an Eaton unit, but I don't have time to look up the p/n right now.

A power conditioner for the whole house, that must be pretty expensive. I have a monster power conditioner right now. I'd like to run the powered subs on a separate circuit and thinking about getting another conditioner just for them. Waiting for my ground isolation transformers to arrive and see if they resolve the ground loop hum when I connect the power cable to an outlet separate from the receiver. Afterwards I'll ponder the idea of another power conditioner.

-groovin
1987 MAZDA RX-7 LS1 T56 | 1995 MAZDA RX-7 ST PORT BOLT-ON'S ADAPTRONIC PNP | 1994 MAZDA RX-7 TSP 416 LS3 T56 MAGNUM E40 ECM

Offline sonicgroove

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2019, 11:23:37 PM »
The RCA Y-adapters and the blue jeans subwoofer isolation transformer solved my issues. On to the tuning. Hopefully I can find a balance I can enjoy. I normally shoot for clarity in dialogue and a fairly heavy hitting LFE.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

-groovin
1987 MAZDA RX-7 LS1 T56 | 1995 MAZDA RX-7 ST PORT BOLT-ON'S ADAPTRONIC PNP | 1994 MAZDA RX-7 TSP 416 LS3 T56 MAGNUM E40 ECM

Offline Supe

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2019, 01:11:52 PM »
Does your receiver have MCACC or similar?  That always seems to get me surprisingly close!

Offline sonicgroove

« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2019, 04:08:06 PM »
Yup, running MCCAC and manually tuning to taste afterwards. All I know right now is these subs are causing me a ton of anxiety. Every time an AV clip with a hard hitting LFE plays my house shakes and I hear a deep rumble. I get scared and excited. Similar to the sensation you get on a roller coaster as it slowly makes it's way to the top and you anxiously wait for the drop. I hate that feeling! but the fact I feel that way from these subwoofers is just awesome. Its a love hate relationship, lol.

-groovin

Offline Cobranut

« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2019, 04:07:42 PM »
Yup, running MCCAC and manually tuning to taste afterwards. All I know right now is these subs are causing me a ton of anxiety. Every time an AV clip with a hard hitting LFE plays my house shakes and I hear a deep rumble. I get scared and excited. Similar to the sensation you get on a roller coaster as it slowly makes it's way to the top and you anxiously wait for the drop. I hate that feeling! but the fact I feel that way from these subwoofers is just awesome. Its a love hate relationship, lol.

-groovin

I guarantee that wouldn't go over well with my wife.  LOL

When I built my house I incorporated a sub-woofer nook in the great room to keep it out of sight.
Though mine is only a little ported 10" unit, I placed a 2" thick pad of closed-cell foam on the floor, with another panel of MDF on top of that, with the sub on top of that.
It almost completely eliminates the vibrations transferring into the floor structure.
Together with insulated interior walls and sound-absorbing bedroom doors, it works pretty well to keep the bedrooms quiet.

Of course, I'm not really an audiophile, and keeping the equipment discreet was my major goal, but I do enjoy having a decent surround system for TV and movies.
1995 FD, 7.0 Liter stroked LS3, T56, 8.8, Samberg kit.

Offline sonicgroove

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2019, 02:23:26 AM »
That will definitely help minimize energy transfer to the room especially if its a raised floor. Acoustic foam in the corners would also help. I'd like to build a nook for these subwoofers with some sort of rear access. That would be awesome it would just take a lot of time and energy.

It's been some time since I last updated the cables I ordered a bunch of HDMI cables and appropriate length mono rca cables. Thinking about getting a pair of power conditioners. Currently have this in mind, CyberPower CP825AVRLCD. If you guys have any recommendations that are cheaper or better I'm all ears.

-groovin

Offline gnx7

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2019, 06:11:40 PM »
I've never seen subs that big!  My system is 100% Klipsch speakers with a Denon AVR-X6200W receiver and a single 12" self powered Klipsch sub.  9.1 surround and is all that I will ever need.
'93 FD: 441ci/AllPro LS7 heads/intake en route, T56 Mag, 8.8" IRS, HolleyHP, DavisTechTC 10.32@137mph cats/full exhaust. 165mph 1/2 mile (old LS7)
'93 FD LS9 turbo, T56 Mag, Samberg 8.8" solid axle, 9.35@163mph 197mph 1/2 mile
`69 Chevelle: alum 5.3, GTS76 turbo, ChiseledPerf A/W, T56 Magnum,Ford 35 spline 9".CTS-V interior http://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=18234.0
old yellar....440rwhp/FD sold but not forgotten: http://www.ponycars.net/scc.htm
I sell new T56 Magnums/McLeod clutch/T56 rebuild kits/Holley EFI/FIC injectors and all BrianTooleyRacing parts.  norcalmotorsport@gmail.com