March 23, 2019, 04:23:54 PM

Author Topic: New Member with some swap questions  (Read 222 times)

Offline N3BP

New Member with some swap questions
« on: March 04, 2019, 08:21:41 PM »
Hi All,

New member here in the process of swapping an 02 LS1 into my 90 GXL.  I have a local shop that's going to install and fit the LS1/T56, but I am doing everything else.  I'm not a fabricator, but am very good with electrical.
I have all the parts needed, except for the cooling system.  I was originally planning to run the Jags That Run C4 setup.  But when I called, I was told they are no longer being made due to the builder passing away.  Can anyone recommend a good Radiator bracket kit for a C4 Radiator?

Also, I'm on the fence about to properly vent the gas tank.  This will be parked in the garage a lot of the time, and I don't want to smell gas fumes.  I'd really like to keep the charcoal canister, but don't know how to properly interface the canister with the intake without a continuous vacuum leak.  Any successful suggestions?

Thanks,
Brandon

Offline largeorangefont

• Top Fuel
  • I steer with the gas pedal.
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
Re: New Member with some swap questions
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2019, 09:55:57 PM »
With some research on this site you can very easily get a radiator mounted with very light fab work. Once you decide on a radiator and shroud, you may have to do some trimming of the stock rad mount area.

To retain the stock canister you will need to retain the OE purge solenoid setup on your LS1 and to hook that up to the existing can.
Quote from: cool
Sell it to spacevomit.  He'll finish it.

Offline sciff5

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2019, 12:04:19 AM »
My radiator was just a random Griffin circle track radiator. Held to the cross beam with 2 L brackets from home Depot.
I didn't put any shrouding around it and it worked ok. Put a Taurus fan in it and it never overheated even on track.

Honestly just stick it in the airstream put foam around it to seal air out from going around it if you need to and call it a day. You could use epoxy to hold the brackets on place if you really can't get access to someone with a simple mig welder but we're taking 5 mins of work that any basic mechanic could do.

Offline N3BP

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2019, 07:39:43 PM »
Thanks for the reply fellows.  I got my hands on the JTR mount kit instructions thanks to a member here, so I believe I can have something fabricated easily now that I know what parts came with the kit.

A little more research into the EVAP canister... I thought at first I could just wire the purge solenoid to a 12V source and manually force it to purge every once in a while.  However, it appears it's operated via PWM, so that's more complicated than I want to get into.  Looks like the three popular options are a vented gas cap, one-way check valve between the canister and throttle body, or a check / rollover valve installed in the tank vent line.  I'll have to make a decision when I get to that point.

On a different topic, does anyone know if a battery relocation tray is available for the FC?

Thanks,
Brandon

Offline DDv8

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2019, 01:35:08 AM »
All that is needed for the FC canister purge is the stock purge valve, ported vacuum and manifold vacuum sources.  If the LS doesn't have a ported vacuum( I run a carb) a part throttle switch operating a vacuum solenoid to manifold vacuum can emulate the ported vacuum.

https://www.norotors.com/pdfs/s5manuals/04A_Fuel_and_Emission_control_systems_non_turbo.pdf  (see purge valve) pg F1-6 

small top line is ported vac, small bottom line manifold vac, large bottom line goes to large canister line (shown going to crank case on a rotary but so does the canister line. Its about 2" apart on a rotor motor in the oil fill tube)

This works on my carbureted car perfectly.

DD
86fc old school 327, T5, converting to 8.8 tbird

Offline sciff5

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2019, 08:52:27 AM »

On a different topic, does anyone know if a battery relocation tray is available for the FC?

Thanks,
Brandon

I just used a universal taylor battery relocation box. There's no great spot to relocate a full size battery back there

Offline N3BP

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2019, 08:53:09 PM »
Well after some semi-lengthy research it appears I can run the RX7 purge line to the LS1 purge valve.  I was under the impression it wouldn't work do to some required sensors in the fuel take.  Turns out those can be turned off with tuning software, and still maintain purge function.

I agree about the battery Sciff.  I'm thinking of making a mold of the tray bottom then taking it to a fab shop to have something custom made.

Right now the heads are off getting ported and polished.  Motor goes in next for some bolt on goodies.  My goal is 500 at the crank.

Spent the past few nights removing unneeded wires and relays.  Stock fuel pump wiring made me laugh.  There must be 30FT of wire between the batter and pump.  It's amazing there is any voltage present at the pump at all.

I'm running the Supra pump and rewired with 12 AWG wire.  I bought a bulkhead fitting but realized there wasn't enough space on the cradle lid to fit it.  So I used two nylon bolts and drilled a hole slightly smaller than the wire and pulled it through.  It worked out well.  Pic attached

I'm on the fence about removing the heater core.  Everything about thew way it's setup is not in my favor to re-plumb out the pass side firewall.  This is going to be a sunny day summer ride anyway so I guess I'm going to ditch it.

Have a good one fellows,
Brandon