February 19, 2019, 08:50:34 PM

Author Topic: Looking for a turbine hvlp paint gun  (Read 128 times)

Online Exidous

Looking for a turbine hvlp paint gun
« on: February 08, 2019, 10:15:25 PM »
Ideally I'd like to rent one. $1500 seems to be where all the decent ones are priced.

Anyone have experience with them? Looking to paint the RX and not have it end up like a B is for build hack job.
94 BB SBE LS1 Full Mamo top, MS3ProU with TC, RONIN 8.8 and another custom dual 2.5" stainless exhaust. Too loud, need bigger muffler....

Online digitalsolo

• Administrator
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • LS1FC.com
Re: Looking for a turbine hvlp paint gun
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2019, 10:38:10 PM »
Konig sponsoring that B is for Build dufus is why I didnít buy their wheels.   Did you know he wanted almost 20k for that FD?  Sorry, off topic.
Blake MF'ing McBride
1988 Mazda RX7 - Turbo LS1/T56/ProEFI/8.8/Not Slow...   sold.
1965 Mustang Coupe - TT Coyote, TR6060, modern brakes/suspension...  project car
2013 Focus ST3 - Stage 1 BPU

Online Exidous

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2019, 11:49:53 AM »
Not off topic at all. I stopped following him or watching any of his videos. That z was almost acceptable then I saw the drive shaft. The things he does are just such a hack job. I feel bad for all the cars.

The Aston was okay. Then does an evora in a single stage...

Not sure on the order of thing but a lot of it is his paint jobs that make me want to be better. See how I tied that back in?!
94 BB SBE LS1 Full Mamo top, MS3ProU with TC, RONIN 8.8 and another custom dual 2.5" stainless exhaust. Too loud, need bigger muffler....

Offline freeskier7791

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2019, 10:07:44 PM »
Konig sponsoring that B is for Build dufus is why I didnít buy their wheels.   Did you know he wanted almost 20k for that FD?  Sorry, off topic.
Lol, high schoolers think his car is cool.  No idea how he got to SEMA.

I know I'm probably not much better though

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Offline sciff5

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2019, 10:19:02 PM »
Why wouldn't you just go to harbor freight and get a $40 2 pack of hvlp guns, along with either buying or renting an air compressor. Did this in my garage, theres really no reason in the world to use anything ele:

This primer was coming out of the spray gun super smooth despite the large tip size

Online Exidous

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2019, 11:37:47 PM »
After I get it painted and cured I want to "dipyourcar" to help protect it. Once you have the gun you can use it for all sorts of things like painting my fence. Did I mention I have a crazy to do list? Lol

Oh, the dipyourcar is about $250 for materials if you don't need a gun.

Or I may just ceramic coat it. Who knows...

Offline sciff5

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2019, 08:44:24 AM »
After I get it painted and cured I want to "dipyourcar" to help protect it. Once you have the gun you can use it for all sorts of things like painting my fence. Did I mention I have a crazy to do list? Lol

I would stay away from anything Dip your car related. It's all junk.
I had the professional version done to my car for a couple grand and it was a nightmare + it doesn't look like paint even when it's professionally applied from an HVLP gun.

What are you trying to do at the end of the day?
I just went through all of the body work and paint prep on my Lotus and it was a MASSIVE fucking nightmare and I threw more money at it and did it way more professionally than it sounds like you're planning on doing.

You don't need much money to paint a car. Paint and body work is all time and OCD it's not even difficult from an expereience/ability perspective.
You can paint a car in your garage with a $40 HVLP gun and have it come out show quality if you take the time. You could even have it come out OEM pretty easily.

This turbine HVLP is garbage though, and anything on Dipyourcar is garbage too, especially if you're not planning on spraying their Autoflex line through a real HVLP gun, and at that point you might as well just paint it, it requires the same equipment.

Offline sciff5

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2019, 08:47:16 AM »
Heres my "removable" autoflex (professional dip):

Online Exidous

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2019, 10:37:08 AM »

I would stay away from anything Dip your car related. It's all junk.
I had the professional version done to my car for a couple grand and it was a nightmare + it doesn't look like paint even when it's professionally applied from an HVLP gun.

What are you trying to do at the end of the day?
I just went through all of the body work and paint prep on my Lotus and it was a MASSIVE fucking nightmare and I threw more money at it and did it way more professionally than it sounds like you're planning on doing.

You don't need much money to paint a car. Paint and body work is all time and OCD it's not even difficult from an expereience/ability perspective.
You can paint a car in your garage with a $40 HVLP gun and have it come out show quality if you take the time. You could even have it come out OEM pretty easily.

This turbine HVLP is garbage though, and anything on Dipyourcar is garbage too, especially if you're not planning on spraying their Autoflex line through a real HVLP gun, and at that point you might as well just paint it, it requires the same equipment.

The paint will look just about perfect by the time I'm done. Not black though. I don't think I could ever pull that off. I managed to patch up the back with rattle cans and had it look perfect.

I have zero intention of buying the turbine system from dipyoucar. It's something like 5.5psi and 90 CFM. I'm looking at a used professional system. 9.5psi and 130cfm. A compressor and regular HVLP gun are mobility limited. Not to mention can be loud and difficult to power. The turbine will net the same result with less waste and I can easily use it to paint the house or fence if I'm so inclined with just a tip change.

I already have an HF HVLP gun but no compressor. I'll probably be moving to Australia in 3-4 years so I won't be able to take it with me. (230VAC 50Hz) Plus I don't really have another use for it. I won't be able to use the turbine there either really but they seem to be pretty easy to sell used.

The dipping was just something to try out to experiment with crazy colors. They do a good job on their videos of making it look easy to mask, spray and remove. Always brand new cars. If you pay close attention, it's not all that great apprearance wise and I know that. I also would never pay someone to dip the car. Paint maybe but not dip. I think it's crazy the prices people pay for wraps.

Online wickedrx7

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2019, 12:57:22 PM »
To answer your original question, I have always used Graco turbines and guns, mainly for wordworking projects. But I did spray my engine bay and interior panels and they both turned out great. Their new 7.0 system looks like a good option but be sure to match the cfm with the paint you are using. 

Another thing to think about is the used market for these systems is pretty good meaning you should be able to sell pretty easily and not take a huge hit. Especially if you keep it in good condition.

1993 Touring, 2012 L99, T-56, Ronnin 8.8, Ohlins, Speedhut, Samberg and lots of custom parts
Build Thread - http://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=19354.0
Pictures - www.flikr.com/wickedrx7