July 19, 2019, 04:17:50 AM

Author Topic: Charge harness wiring and starter wiring  (Read 1140 times)

Offline ngeno626

Re: Charge harness wiring and starter wiring
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2019, 06:58:36 PM »
So frustrating!! I tried to jump it directly from the X11 black/red to see if itíd work and it didnít...
Iím looking to run a wire directly from the ignition switch to the starter, with a relay.
What wire is it at the starter?

Offline ngeno626

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2019, 08:43:57 PM »
I tried to jump it from the X11 black/red wire and nothing. Iím thinking of going direct from the ignition switch to the starter with a relay.
What wire do I need to tap in the ignition switch to make that work?

Offline freeskier7791

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2019, 07:32:42 PM »
Do you have a multimeter?  You should be able to find which wire gets 12v when the key is turned to the start position.  Also double check the grounding for the solenoid, I would put a ground wire from the engine block to the chassis near the starter

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Offline ngeno626

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2019, 11:06:33 AM »
Do you have a multimeter?  You should be able to find which wire gets 12v when the key is turned to the start position.  Also double check the grounding for the solenoid, I would put a ground wire from the engine block to the chassis near the starter

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
That is the plan as soon as I have someone to help me, I cant turn the key and hold two prongs by myself LOL.
I agree with the grounds i have the engine grounded in 3 places and the trans grounded on its own as well, it should be sufficent.

Offline ngeno626

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2019, 05:47:42 PM »
I had someone come over and help me check the voltage and it appears itís definitely supposed be the black/blue wire however that wire showing 0 V for all key positions including when I turn the key to crack
Anyone have any thoughts as to what the issue may be

Offline Chigliakus

• Staged
  • '09 STi grocery getter -- '93 FD LS1/T56 money pit
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2019, 06:38:31 PM »
I had someone come over and help me check the voltage and it appears itís definitely supposed be the black/blue wire however that wire showing 0 V for all key positions including when I turn the key to crack
Anyone have any thoughts as to what the issue may be

Did you power the front fuse box on the left side of the engine bay?  The one that used to mount to the positive post on the battery?

Offline ngeno626

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2019, 09:12:10 AM »
Yes, I have a 8ga wire running from the battery through a circut breaker to that fuse box.   

Offline Chigliakus

• Staged
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2019, 01:18:59 PM »
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

So time for you to start tracing the path between that 120A MAIN fuse and the ignition switch to figure out why the ignition switch is not getting power.

Offline ngeno626

« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2019, 08:21:06 AM »
Thasnk extreamly helpful!! Thank you! The strange part is the ignition switch is getting proper power just not the Black/Blue wire thats stays at 0v at all key positions

According to your wire diagram i need to tap into the B/L wire, corect. What color is this "L" ?
Im goign to start tracing it this weekend,
thanks for all the help

Offline Venom13132

• Staged
  • 95 RX-7 LS1 T56 FEED Widebody
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • Venom Speed Shop
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2019, 08:26:28 AM »
L is blue   B is black
1995 RX-7 - LS1, T56: LS6 Intake, Feed wide body, Feed CF Side skirts, Ray's Gram Lights, K-Sport coilovers, 99 spec\ tails and spoiler, SpeedHut Gauges, Aeromotive fuel pump, TwinZ Rear Diffuser
2000 Ford Excursion - V10 Tow monster
2006 BMW 650i - 4.8l V8 6-Speed Manual - Daily Driver

Offline AZieger

« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2019, 05:27:49 PM »
I generally bypass the clutch interlock because I've had them fail on me and piss me off.  :)

If you want to fuse the main lead, put a big f$&ker on it, like 400-500 amps, near the battery.   That's there to prevent your car burning to the ground, nothing else.    I'd rather do a Mega fuse then a circuit breaker.   If you're worried about it, put a buss bar and a couple spare fuses in the glovebox, then if you blow it (and it's not a "valid" blow) you can replace it or bus bar it to get home. 

My 0.02.

Do you think 400-500 amps is really necessary?  And is it even going to do anything at that point?  I am using a 150A mega fuse right off the battery (Lithium, 880 PCA) and haven't blown it yet in ~50+ starts of my stock compression LS3.  Battery is in the bin and I am using 2 awg wire down the transmisson tunnel right to the starter so there is very little restriction to current flow.

Offline cholmes

« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2019, 12:11:12 AM »
   [Do you think 400-500 amps is really necessary?  And is it even going to do anything at that point?  I am using a 150A mega fuse right off the battery (Lithium, 880 PCA) and haven't blown it yet in ~50+ starts of my stock compression LS3.  Battery is in the bin and I am using 2 awg wire down the transmisson tunnel right to the starter so there is very little restriction to current flow. /quote]

You're right, a stock compression LS3 (or any stock compression V8) is typically easy to turn over, especially if the battery is fresh. But if the battery voltage is a bit low, the current drawn by the starter goes up, not down. If it takes "X" amount of power to turn the engine over, and electrical power is "Volts times amps", then if the voltage is low, the amps go up. It's not quite that clear cut, as cranking rpm is less with lower battery voltage, but amps drawn by the starter will go up the longer you crank. If your fuse is a bit on the small side, it'll blow if you ever have to crank very long.

We (RobbMc Performance Products) build high performance starters for a living, and we load test every starter to simulate a high compression racing engine. Typical amp draw on these tests is 225 -- 240 amps. Interestingly, we used to use the Delco PG260 starter, which is the common LS1 starter, as the basis for our starter, before switching to a Ford based starter. The Delco drew more amps (240 -- 260) and cranked slower on our tests. The fact that it works well on most LS engines is a tribute to the easy starting of that engine design and control system, not because the starter is particularly good. The internal gear train on the Delco is downright weak.

As to fuse size, there's no way I'd use less than a 250 amp fuse. I'd feel a lot better with a 300 amp one. Also, your 2 gage wire is the smallest I'd use. You haven't had problems because you've probably never had a weak battery or gotten the battery cables very hot, and your stock LS3 starts very easily.

Offline cholmes

« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2019, 12:12:02 AM »
Sorry, did the quote thing wrong.

Offline ngeno626

« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2019, 09:11:45 AM »
I have 350amp circuit breakers and 0ga wire for the starter and the alternator, thatís should be plenty.

Right now Iím thinking the ignition switch is shot but Iím really not sure. The black/blue wire at the ignition getting 0volts at all key positions is throwing me for a loop

Push button start and move on?

Offline Chigliakus

• Staged
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2019, 01:05:41 PM »
A new ignition switch isn't that expensive and it's easy to swap out.