August 21, 2019, 05:32:49 AM

Author Topic: Does this count as "other swaps"?  (Read 676 times)

Offline Exidous

Does this count as "other swaps"?
« on: February 06, 2019, 12:03:16 AM »
So I had mentioned in another thread that I had quite a few plans for the house I bought less than a month ago. Closed on 11 Jan.

The house is nothing fancy. 1500sq ft in a nice location and no one behind me. San Antonio has notoriously hard water(10-30gpg). The house has a standard 50gal water heater and no softener(or even a loop for one). I didn't want to eat into my garage space so I took out the year old tank and replaced it with an electric tankless unit and softener. The house is all electric so the heater needed 3, yes 3, 40amp double pole breakers running at 240vac for a total of 27kW.

The garage just wasn't going to cut it, so the RX finally was going to get a decent home. I ground and etched the very poor concrete. Filled in the thin crack that ran across the room, filled in all the small holes and put down a new floor epoxy. I was originally going to use black, white and blue chips but decided to swap out the blue for hunter green. (Brownie points since it's the wife's favorite color)

Now I need your help. I need to pick a wall color. It will be semi or full gloss. The whole house is shades of beige. This must change. RX is black and may go to montego soon.

Pics coming shortly.
94 BB SBE LS1 Full Mamo top, MS3ProU with TC, RONIN 8.8 and another custom dual 2.5" stainless exhaust. Too loud, need bigger muffler....

Offline freeskier7791

Re: Does this count as "other swaps"?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2019, 07:11:31 AM »
Nice job, will filling in the crack affect the expansion of the concrete, and mess up the floor covering?  I have no idea but I know they put those seams in for expansion and contraction.

If you do something besides white for the walls, only do the color on the bottom half.  if you do the whole wall something else than white, your patterns do not work well. 

Offline digitalsolo

• Administrator
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • LS1FC.com
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2019, 09:17:40 AM »
I vote that you do white on the top half and medium gray on the bottom half, or, medium gray everywhere.   Dark colors absorb too much light that's useful in a garage.
Blake MF'ing McBride
1988 Mazda RX7 - Turbo LS1/T56/ProEFI/8.8/Not Slow...   sold.
1965 Mustang Coupe - TT Coyote, TR6060, modern brakes/suspension...  project car
2016 BMW 428i xDrive Gran Coupe - Completely stock...ish

Offline Exidous

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2019, 09:42:15 AM »
Nice job, will filling in the crack affect the expansion of the concrete, and mess up the floor covering?  I have no idea but I know they put those seams in for expansion and contraction.

If you do something besides white for the walls, only do the color on the bottom half.  if you do the whole wall something else than white, your patterns do not work well.

There is no expansion joint. The floor is part of the house slab. It's just a hairline crack that probably happened while curing early on.

You're right about the white.  I'll be adding quite a bit of lighting to the room but dark might also make it feel a bit smaller.
94 BB SBE LS1 Full Mamo top, MS3ProU with TC, RONIN 8.8 and another custom dual 2.5" stainless exhaust. Too loud, need bigger muffler....

Offline freeskier7791

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2019, 10:12:24 AM »

There is no expansion joint. The floor is part of the house slab. It's just a hairline crack that probably happened while curing early on.

You're right about the white.  I'll be adding quite a bit of lighting to the room but dark might also make it feel a bit smaller.

cool.  And all race shops have white on the top half of the wall for lighting reasons, dark on the lower half to hide dirt easier.  I need to paint my garage, just don't want to pull everything out...

Offline Exidous

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2019, 11:03:45 AM »
I have a very short window before all my stuff gets here. Thinking white top and a dark red bottom.

Offline digitalsolo

• Administrator
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • LS1FC.com
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2019, 12:38:08 PM »
That sounds like it'd look really nice.

Once my Mustang is mostly done (and drivable) I'm going to tear my garage apart, clean it and probably two tone the walls to make it mo' fancier.   
Blake MF'ing McBride
1965 Mustang Coupe - TT Coyote, TR6060, modern brakes/suspension...  project car

Offline freeskier7791

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2019, 02:05:12 PM »
I have a very short window before all my stuff gets here. Thinking white top and a dark red bottom.

Sounds good!  Put a gray or black stripe between the two colors and it will really pop

Offline Cobranut

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2019, 07:14:21 PM »
Floor looks nice, and I agree with the others on keeping the upper walls white.

What brand is that water heater?  Internally it looks VERY similar to mine.

I installed a 27kW American Heat unit when I built my house 10 years ago.
American Heat is apparently no longer available. 
Fortunately the only time I've had a problem was when it blew a 315ma internal fuse when we took a close lightning strike.  Fortunately the fuse protected the control circuitry and it's worked fine for the past few years.

I did change the sequence of how the stages turn on though.
Originally the first stage in the flow path came on at low flow rates, which meant the heated water had to make it through the other two chambers before exiting the heater, increasing the wait time for hot water.

I ended up swapping the first and third stages, and we get hot water much quicker now.
Overall I've been pleased with it, though if you have a power outage while showering, it gets cold right now! LOL
I installed a 30kW generator a couple years ago, so at least it takes over after a minute or so.
1995 FD, 7.0 Liter stroked LS3, T56, 8.8, Samberg kit.

Offline Exidous

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2019, 08:38:18 PM »
The cold water from a power outage sounds exciting.

It's an eemax. Sold at Lowe's among many other places. I looked over all the connections and solder joints. It seems too look pretty decent. Was about $450 for the until.

I'll be doing a solar array and battery backup once we move into our next home. This is the last base before I retire so I'll be moving again in 3-5years.

I won't be able to run a tankless electric off grid with solar though. Not without crazy costs. A normal tank makes more sense when you aren't paying for the electricity any more.

Offline Exidous

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2019, 10:59:55 PM »
Car is finally home and absolutely filthy.

Need to do a lot of organizing still.

Offline frijolee

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2019, 03:23:17 AM »
Nice job on the two tone!  That turned out great.
LS2 stroker FC, Mandeville big brakes, widebody, etc
Build thread:  http://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=1274.0
www.roninspeedworks.com

LargeOrangeFont says: "Joel is right, and I love Joel. But his car sounds like the wrath of God."   ;)

Offline Exidous

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2019, 07:04:54 AM »
Thanks!

Just have to fix the lighting in there now.

Offline digitalsolo

• Administrator
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • LS1FC.com
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2019, 07:50:55 PM »
+1, looks really nice!
Blake MF'ing McBride

Offline rajeevx7

• Pre-Staging
  • On the road since 2011!
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2019, 11:41:57 PM »

Fortunately the only time I've had a problem was when it blew a 315ma internal fuse when we took a close lightning strike.  Fortunately the fuse protected the control circuitry and it's worked fine for the past few years.

I did change the sequence of how the stages turn on though.
Originally the first stage in the flow path came on at low flow rates, which meant the heated water had to make it through the other two chambers before exiting the heater, increasing the wait time for hot water.

I ended up swapping the first and third stages, and we get hot water much quicker now.

Great idea! Mine went in with the house build of 2010. Ya, I was building a house AND v8 FD simultaneosly bc I’m short bus special like that. Find out what fuse protects your circuit board, and buy a pack of them! Also, the “inlet water temp sensor” is worthless:-(

Walls look good! Nice contrast and racey. I had a montego touring once, and miss it dearly just for the color and roof.
'93 BB R1 Ls6 - Done 2011
'93 MB Touring 13b-Rew -Crashed:-)