February 18, 2019, 05:41:27 AM

Author Topic: FORD 8.8 IRS Conversion V2  (Read 255 times)

Offline justinsamberg

• Staged
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sambergperfomance.com
FORD 8.8 IRS Conversion V2
« on: January 30, 2019, 12:45:44 PM »
intro price $800 plus shipping (axles not included)

axles and inner cv kit. $1350

3.5 alum driveshaft $525

« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 12:51:33 PM by justinsamberg »
http://www.rx7v8.com/
Samberg Performance Fabrication
Pleasant Hill, CA
justinsamberg@gmail.com
925-484-5800

Offline ljt

Re: FORD 8.8 IRS Conversion V2
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 09:32:45 PM »
Hi Justin what are the benefits of this over the V1?

Offline Exidous

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 09:35:26 AM »
I'd imagine the same as the Ronin setup. Better exhaust clearance and strength in the direction of torque. Bar over the diff rather than below.
94 BB SBE LS1 Full Mamo top, MS3ProU with TC, RONIN 8.8 and another custom dual 2.5" stainless exhaust. Too loud, need bigger muffler....

Offline 65imp

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2019, 12:54:38 PM »
Hey Justin,
Looks like you have been busy!  It looks like this is for the FD, correct?  Will you also have a version for the FC?

Your new 8.8 kit seems to have some very notable differences from the V1 version.  Since I am currently running your v1 design I was hoping you could shed some light on the changes to your new version.  This could better help myself and other repeat customers make the decision to upgrade.

1.  You have moved from the ford cobra IRS case and cover that you used to use to an explorer 8.8 case.  Is there a particular reason you made such a drastic departure?  It was a pretty decent cost to have my diff rebuilt and setup in the cobra case, and I would have to eat that cost and find an explorer case in order to update.  Or will your new design allow me to use the cobra case with an adapter? 

2.  Your old design was a bolt in setup, but it appears that the new design requires welding in order to install.  Was there a reason you went with a more involved and costly weld-in design? 

3.  The new design has the front mount support the differential from above, as opposed to the previous mount that was supported from below.  Seems like a pretty notable design change.  Just wondered why such a departure?

4.  It looks like You have a custom cover for the new diff case, is that included in the $800 price point?  I imagine the front and rear mounts are included.  Are you at all concerned about the loss of case stiffness with a stamped sheet metal cover versus the heavily ribbed version, that the Explorer originally came with?  I can't find this item in your store yet, so I was curious what all is included. 

5.  What sort of horsepower numbers are your axles able to support?  If I break one are they covered by a warranty?  It looks like I will need to run the FD outer CV with these, correct?  Does the FD outer CV also hold up to those power numbers? 

I would imagine that you have some good reasons for the upgraded features.  Do you have a policy or a discount for your repeat customers who are running your v1 design?  I would image those of us who were early adopters of your products are valuable to you as repeat customers.  I actually still have your v1 radiator kit, and have been meaning to send it to you so you can modify it to be current to the v2 setup.  I decided to post my questions because when I have called you multiple times over the last months I have not reached anyone, and have yet to hear back from you.  It looks like you have been too busy making new stuff, but i know many people are very interested in answers to these questions. 

Input is appreciated. 
absolute power corrupts absolutely  :yay:
93 FD widebody - destroked
69 Suburban - positive manifold pressure
65 Impala - 5.7
59 cad  - WIP
53 spartan - shed status