January 17, 2019, 10:00:53 PM

Author Topic: Weird issues installing stereo in Mazda 6, Come in car computer geniuses...  (Read 133 times)

Offline wickedrx7

I know this isn’t RX-7 related but I am hoping for some car computer expertise…
I recently installed an aftermarket amp and speakers in my Mazda 6.  I wanted to retain the stock stereo so I purchased a line level adapter - https://www.amazon.com/PAC-AOEM-MAZ2-Interface-Replacement-Amplifier/dp/B001715RQS/ref=asc_df_B001715RQS/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312068849209&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=7361671424430784515&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9021498&hvtargid=pla-522375246904&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=67623312452&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=312068849209&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=7361671424430784515&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9021498&hvtargid=pla-522375246904

This is basically a jumper harness that pulls out the speaker wires and converts them to a line level.  I plugged it in and everything worked fine initially but then after about 6 hours the car wouldn’t start.  It appeared that the immobilizer had been tripped. I thought I might have done this because I unplugged a main wiring harness to get it out of the way and I didn’t disconnect the negative cable.  I let the car sit overnight and still in the AM, it wouldn’t start.  Then all of the sudden my key fob stopped working but the car started.  I honestly thought I had messed up the computer so I took it to the dealer to have them diagnose.   They proceeded to unplugged the line level harness and all was good. 
After verifying with the manufacturer that this would work with my year Mazda 6, I suspected the unit had a bad connection or something so I ordered another.  Installed it and all was good initially.  Car started and ran, no weird things at all.  I drove it to work today and go out to go to lunch and bam, it wouldn’t start.  I unplug the unit and the car still won’t start, it is acting like the immobilizer is on. 
I am letting it sit with hopes it will start later.  Any thoughts on what could cause this?  Why is it happening over time and not immediately?  The only thing I noticed is there are a few wires on the harness that are considerably smaller than the factory wires? 
I should also note, I am on the Mazda 6 Forum and lots of guys use this and I can’t find any instances of issues. 
Any thoughts?

1993 Touring, 2012 L99, T-56, Ronnin 8.8, Ohlins, Speedhut, Samberg and lots of custom parts
Build Thread - http://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=19354.0
Pictures - www.flikr.com/wickedrx7

Offline digitalsolo

• Administrator
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • LS1FC.com
Inducing a ground loop/circuit path through disparate power input locations/bad isolation?

Edit, I see the unit is self contained, wonder if they isolated the ground plane for the RCAs.    I’d be curious if the issue happens with the box in and no RCAs connected?   
Blake MF'ing McBride
1988 Mazda RX7 - Turbo LS1/T56/ProEFI/8.8/Not Slow...   sold.
1965 Mustang Coupe - TT Coyote, TR6060, modern brakes/suspension...  project car
2013 Focus ST3 - Stage 1 BPU

Offline wickedrx7

Inducing a ground loop/circuit path through disparate power input locations/bad isolation?

Edit, I see the unit is self contained, wonder if they isolated the ground plane for the RCAs.    I’d be curious if the issue happens with the box in and no RCAs connected?   

Not sure, I didn't hear any alternator whine which usually indicates a ground loop issue, I would assume.

So the car is still in immobilize mode... GRRRR. I am about to get it towed to the dealer, I can't figure out how to get it out of this mode.  Even with the jumper unplugged. 

1993 Touring, 2012 L99, T-56, Ronnin 8.8, Ohlins, Speedhut, Samberg and lots of custom parts

Offline wickedrx7

I got the car running.  I left the ignition on for around 10 minutes and it seemed to reset itself and I was able to restart it.  I was supper happy about this. 

So my plan now is to buy a separate line level converter and tap into each speaker wire individually and not use a jumper harness.  This way I will only be messing with the speaker wires and nothing else, so I shouldn't have any issues....hopefully.

Offline digitalsolo

• Administrator
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • LS1FC.com
I'd agree, that's a safer path.
Blake MF'ing McBride
1988 Mazda RX7 - Turbo LS1/T56/ProEFI/8.8/Not Slow...   sold.
1965 Mustang Coupe - TT Coyote, TR6060, modern brakes/suspension...  project car
2013 Focus ST3 - Stage 1 BPU

Offline Cobranut

Your problems are all due to Mazda's new hearing protection system.  All other manufacturers will be rolling out similar systems in the bear future.
It is designed to prevent you from damaging your hearing by installing a nice sound system in the car.  ::)
1995 FD, 7.0 Liter stroked LS3, T56, 8.8, Samberg kit.