January 17, 2019, 05:17:08 PM

Author Topic: FD with powerglide??  (Read 169 times)

Online Ls2swap

FD with powerglide??
« on: January 08, 2019, 02:28:04 PM »
Just put a powerglide in my 93 Fd and the headers are definitely not fitting on the drivers and the passenger side is touching the trans.
Anybody ever run a powerglide and found headers that will work? Or is my only option to rework the current set?

Offline digitalsolo

• Administrator
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • LS1FC.com
Re: FD with powerglide??
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2019, 04:55:50 PM »
I've not seen any off the shelf that will clear.   Maybe Hinson mid-length?
Blake MF'ing McBride
1988 Mazda RX7 - Turbo LS1/T56/ProEFI/8.8/Not Slow...   sold.
1965 Mustang Coupe - TT Coyote, TR6060, modern brakes/suspension...  project car
2013 Focus ST3 - Stage 1 BPU

Offline Powaah

• In The Bleach Box
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2019, 07:25:34 PM »
I would think Hinson mid-length 1 3/4 would fit pretty easily.
I bought the hinson 1 7/8 full length setup and it fits with a glide but it took quite a bit of work.  The collector on the header nearly touches the powerglide pan. I had to use the wide band clamps for my exhaust. Also, on the driver's side I had to make a new bracket to hold the shifter cable as otherwise it would hit the header.
In addition to that there's also the nightmare of making hinson headers fit any car. I had to grind the steering column, ding the header on a few spots. Also had to weld on additional O2 bungs because the ones on the 1 7/8 would not work with my glide.

It is certainly doable and the best off-the shelf option for maximum power. Which, if you have a glide I'm assuming that is what you are after.

Online Ls2swap

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2019, 07:47:44 PM »
yeah my glide has a  deep finned pan and its right where the Spoolin' performance long tubes would run. Next time i set the motor and trans in I'll get a pic. There is just no room between the trans pan and trans tunnel. I wouldn't  mind cutting the floor to make room, but it would interfere with my foot placement for the gas pedal. If I run the header below the floor/trans tunnel would hang down super low!!!!

Offline Powaah

• In The Bleach Box
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2019, 08:49:12 PM »
Posting this incase someone else has questions. My setup isn't perfect but it does work ok.

That's the shifter I use and the cuts I had to do to the center console to make it work. I had a junked up center console so that's why I went with that route. I do still need to fix it but otherwise its a great shifter.

Here are a few views of the hinson headers with a standard glide pan

I had to modify part of the shifter linkage so it wouldn't hit the header

And this is the new bracket I put together

Online Ls2swap

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2019, 09:45:39 PM »
Powaah thanks for posting the pics