October 22, 2019, 03:39:09 PM

Author Topic: "Doda" '93 FD NASA TT Build  (Read 4104 times)

Offline PeakAlpha

Re: "Doda" '93 FD NASA TT Build
« Reply #45 on: August 13, 2019, 11:20:53 PM »
As a “quick” aside, this whole experience really taught me what building a project car is all about.

*pulls up soap box*

*AHEM!!*

For everybody out there who is either currently building a project car, or has the desire to build a project car; you have to BUST YOUR ASS!!! That’s what it ultimately comes down to. I know that for me there were many times where I would be working seemingly an infinite number of consecutive weekends on some pain in the ass project (wiring, *cough*) and it just seemed like I would NEVER get the stupid thing done. And then you run into mechanical problems, and oil leaks, and a million shitty little things that suck to deal with, and all the while your project car is just sitting in the garage. It can be very discouraging. But that last summer I just finally got tired of nothing ever getting done, so I decided to BUST MY ASS and just work through all of the bullshit RELENTLESSLY. And ultimately, it really worked out. Some people are better mechanics than I am, so maybe it’s easier for them, but at some point I think everybody just has to learn the hard way through trial-and-error, and not being intimidated about replacing that cam shaft or whatever. I know I have had QUITE my fair share of screw-ups, and getting something together only to realize that it had to come right back apart. It sucks. But it ultimately taught me some valuable things, and it ultimately allows me to drive the PISS out of my racecar which I built myself. And it all started in my shitty falling-down garage in Blowhio. But I am proud as Hell. And every time I pass the SHIT out of a fancy BMW or whatever on the track, it’s just another smile on my face and a reminder that it was worth all of the long hours in the garage, and the apoplectic temper tantrums over something that I had fucked up on the car, and not hanging out with friends at the bar because I had to get a little further on the wiring, and all of the trade-offs that had to be made. If you set a goal and RUTHLESSLY pursue it all the way to the bottom, it WILL ultimately be worth it guys. Never lose the faith Pistards.

Offline digitalsolo

• Administrator
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • LS1FC.com
« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2019, 03:36:02 PM »
That's a pretty concise explanation of building these things.  :D
Blake MF'ing McBride
1988 Mazda RX7 - Turbo LS1/T56/ProEFI/8.8/Not Slow...   sold.
1965 Mustang Coupe - TT Coyote, TR6060, modern brakes/suspension...  project car
2016 BMW 428i xDrive Gran Coupe - Completely stock...ish

Offline freeskier7791

« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2019, 12:14:20 PM »
That's a pretty concise explanation of building these things.  :D

I'd say so, it took me 2 engines and 6 years to make my car reliable enough to drive around, and it still vibrates like crazy above 70mph
https://www.youtube.com/thedriftingdad
1985 Mazda RX7 GSL Drift Car

CCVT

Offline PeakAlpha

« Reply #48 on: August 18, 2019, 11:32:23 PM »
Aaaaalllllllrightyyyy, so after the semi-disaster that was Buttonwillow, I dragged my sorry ass all the way back to AZ and went to sleep. Let the car sit for a couple of days to take a break and then I got to work. I had about a month to figure my shit out. The first thing I did was figure out my brakes. Turns out there wasn’t anything catastrophically wrong with them. I ended up purchasing an easy-bleeder that uses tire pressure to push fluid through the system from the master cylinder reservoir. Once I put that on there the system cleared whatever was pluggin it up on the left rear caliper. So I got the brakes bled no problem and then turned my attention to the shifting issues.

The transmission seemed to do really well for the first couple of laps of each session (especially the first session), but then it got pretty notchy after several hard laps. This being the case, my best guess was that the issue was most likely related to heat. Looking at my setup, I noticed that the headers run pretty close to the transmission and clutch line. So I did what any ricer would do and bought some header wrap. Believe me, I don’t think that the header wrap was going to add 50 HP or anything, I just wanted to dump the heat out of the exhaust tip instead of pouring it into my transmission. Gotta say, I actually am decently proud, I think I did a good job. But SON OF A FIREMAN’S DICK is fiberglass a pain to deal with. I literally sacrificed a pair of jeans just to get this shit done (extreme white girl problems, I know). What I ended up doing was getting a 5 gallon bucket, and soaking the wrap before I put it on the header. This helped to make it easier to work with since it was more flexible/stretchy when wet (just like my bepis!). Then, I started the wrap and secured the lead end in place with a stainless-steel zip tie. I tightened the zip tie with a needle dick pliers and then continued wrapping, laying the wrap over itself so that I covered 1/2-2/3 of the previous wrap with each successive wrap. Results are in the picture below. Oh, and finish it off with some SS zip ties as well to keep her all in place. Once the shit dries, it tends to shrink just a bit and hold more tightly to the header. Ended up using two different brands of wrap since I ran out of parts store wrap and then purchased some cheaper shit online. Hence the two-tone look to it. Both headers look about the same since I split the wrap I had between them.

Another thing that I did at some point was to put a new clutch master cylinder in my pedal box. I originally had the stock size ¾” master in there. During my research about shifting issues on a T56, I had read that the stock size did not push enough fluid to fully disengage the clutch at high RPM, and that people were switching to a larger MC to solve this. I already had a pedal box, so I said F it and bought a 7/8” MC. Problem was, I didn’t want to over-travel the clutch if I could avoid it. So to help that problem, I had one of my welder bros at work weld a reinforcement plate on either side of my Clutch pedal (it is an I-beam shape), and then drill/tap a hole for a 3/8” bolt. The bolt runs through the pedal and the head of the bolt acts as a stop to limit the clutch movement. Didn’t get any pictures of this at the time. It’s a simple solution, but it works.

So, at some point my next track day finally came around. This one was down at Bondurant School Main Track in November 2018. Clearly I am friggen hooked at this point. Spending all of my time building stupid race cars. I actually gave up playing guitar to make more time for my stupid car. NO RAGRETS! (not even one letter). It is paying off big time now! Getting “stoked” to go down to Phoenix and hit the track again! EFF YEAHH!!!

So the big day finally arrived. I did it wrong this time and ended up driving down Friday night. To be honest, I had a pretty damn stressful week at work, so I was desperately tired as it was. Then, when I was loading up the car on Friday night, I was having some issues with the clutch not wanting to release all the way. Stupid new clutch cylinder didn’t seem to want to cooperate DAMMIT!!! But, I got it on the trailer and then moved my adjustment screw to give myself a little more travel. But I was in such a fkn rush, I didn’t have time to test it so I didn’t know if it helped, or if my gearbox was just wrecked from my few track days of potentially overheating. Oh well, SEND IT I guess. Got on the road and at some point I actually almost just pulled the plug on the whole operation because I was so discouraged. My shitty disasterful weekend at Buttonwillow the last time out wasn’t helping my attitude. But at this point I was already like an hour down the road so I figured I was pretty well committed. Got to the parking lot at the entrance of the track and set up the inflatable bed to lay down for the night. The track was in the damn middle of Phoenix, so pretty noisy and whatnot, and the night security dickweeds for the event were ripping around on a FUCKING MINI-BIKE until like midnight. So that was horse piss. Man, what a great night. Hope tomorrow goes better.

Woke up bright and early, pulled the car out of the trailer and sucked down some granola bars for breakfast. Got over to tech and got it out of the way. The trans seemed to be shifting better with the pedal adjustment, so I was thankful for that. Day was looking up already. Went to my morning HPDE2 meeting. One of the instructors explained that he would be leading a couple of slow-ish laps at the beginning of session1 to show us all the line and whatnot. This works better in theory than in practice unless you are directly behind the instructor because the clowns following get WAY off line, and then everybody following them just ends up really fucking confused as to what the Hell is happening. It’s like playing telephone as a kid, and the original phrase is something like “I wanna bake a pizza”, and by the end it becomes “Charlie’s Mom is a mentally challenged potato”. Never works out right. But after a few laps, I got a point by and FLEW into turn 1!!!

Aaaaannd right through it as it turns out. I ended up WAY too far on the inside of the turn and didn’t have enough tire to hack the corner. Ended up sliding right through an early apex and into the dirt heading straight for the tire barrier. I was still on the brakes at this point and the car spun around and stopped before hitting the barrier (PHEW!!!), and then my cabin filled with smoke, FACK!!!!! So, I quickly undid my seat belt and popped out of the car and ran to the tire barrier so I was somewhat out of the way. The fire extinguisher bros showed up and had me pop the hood since we couldn’t see any flames. Popped her, and a bunch of smoke poured out, but no fire. The issue ended up being a leaking valve cover. Between Buttonwillow and Bondurant, I had installed a catch can to avoid oil pissing all over the under side of my hood through the stupid cheesy breather cap. Well, one of my valve covers had a vent tube, but the other one didn’t so I had the aforementioned welder bro weld a little nozzle onto my left side valve cover so that I could put a tube on it and run it to the catch can. When he welded it, the cover must have warped because Aluminum, and the gasket wasn’t sealing quite right against the head. But, it was just smoking, so they let me drive slowly back to the pits. I got to work right away and popped the valve cover off. I cleaned it up as best I could and re-seated the valve cover just to see if it would work. It seemed to be okay actually. I took and ran a couple of circles at the back of the paddock to be sure, and the oil appeared to have mostly stopped leaking.

After the spin I was a little bit shaken. My first major screw-up on track, followed by a smoke-filled cockpit was admittedly a bit nerve-wracking for me. But, no time to feel sorry for myself, so I headed out for my second session. Second session went well, and my damn valve cover had stopped leaking. I started to get a bit faster this session, but mostly I started to feel comfortable with my car. Bondurant was a bit bumpy, and I was really noticing that my chassis was a bit twitchy. After my second session, I noticed that a bunch of fluid was leaking on my control arms. Eventually once I got home I tracked this down to the damper. I was still using stock dampers believe it or not. Don’t ask how that happened…

Third session went really well also and I was able to find some clear-ish track and put down a decent lap or two. From the video it looks like I was doing in the neighborhood of 55s per lap. Not terrible. The SUPER fast dudes in the race groups were down in the high 40’s if I remember right. So still off by a bit, but not too awful for stock size tires and shot-ass dampers.

The fourth and final session of the day is always my favorite. Half of the people take off early and don’t even participate, so there is always a bunch of free track. The session went really well, except that I almost pooped my pants on the front straight when I started to lose the rear and had to counter-steer all over the place (video below). WEEEW!!! That was a close one. But, I somehow survived with poopless shorts.

After my last session, one of the instructors came up to talk to me and ordered me to check ride into HPDE3. I tried to find an instructor before the last session, but it was too late. Oh well, next time I guess. Had a GREAT track day, car worked fine, and shifting issues were MUCH better with the heat wrap and the extra clutch throw. Crazy how much of a difference that heat wrap made. Seemed to keep everything much more under control with the trans temp. Still not monitoring trans temps at this point, but the shifting was much improved. So at the end of the day I packed up and went home. I could have stayed over and ran on Sunday, but I was beat and wanted to get some damn sleep. The track was pretty small and whatnot too, so not as much fun as, say, Buttonwillow. But still sort of a neat little technical track. Some pics from the day.

Sunrise... And no, this doesn't have any "filters" on it. The morning was just that damn beautiful. And the pic turned out for whatever reason.

Rotate my tires you lazy PRICK!!!

Mmm, yeah!!! Glamor shots!!

SUCK MY HORN MIATAS AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

And of course, I was over the damn moon that the instructors told me I could move up to DE3. That was a nice cherry on my dong for the next track day. All in all an insanely successful track day after a rocky start. Just goes to show that it is always ALWAYS better to stop being such a whiney bitch and just go RAYSKARR!!!! SO glad that I didn’t give up and go back home. What a day. Enjoy the short video everyone!!! Have a great night!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-HNKLFj2NI&feature=youtu.be

Offline digitalsolo

• Administrator
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • LS1FC.com
« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2019, 12:32:33 PM »
Sounds like a pretty successful overall day!
Blake MF'ing McBride
1988 Mazda RX7 - Turbo LS1/T56/ProEFI/8.8/Not Slow...   sold.
1965 Mustang Coupe - TT Coyote, TR6060, modern brakes/suspension...  project car
2016 BMW 428i xDrive Gran Coupe - Completely stock...ish

Offline PeakAlpha

« Reply #50 on: August 19, 2019, 09:32:51 PM »
Sounds like a pretty successful overall day!

Heck yeah mang!!! This was the first track day that I felt comfortable actually pushing the car since everything was working well. So pretty exciting because I could actually put in some hard laps without worrying about the stupid car!! 'twas a blast.