February 18, 2019, 06:09:55 AM

Author Topic: UNLEASHED 280z 350sbc  (Read 804 times)

Offline Cobranut

Re: UNLEASHED 280z 350sbc
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2019, 07:56:45 PM »
Nice work.
You got a great deal on that blast cabinet.
I bought the same one when I went in Harbor Freight and they had a special on them, and I also used a 20% coupon.
I think I paid a little over $100 for mine.
It sure is handy.  :afro:
1995 FD, 7.0 Liter stroked LS3, T56, 8.8, Samberg kit.

Offline bstallion

• In The Bleach Box
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2019, 08:52:39 PM »
Nice work.
You got a great deal on that blast cabinet.
I bought the same one when I went in Harbor Freight and they had a special on them, and I also used a 20% coupon.
I think I paid a little over $100 for mine.
It sure is handy.  :afro:

Definitely, I've been using a portable one and it sucks.

I was supposed to get the fuel hoses done, I ordered 5/8" and was sent 1/4" so I'm put off another week from finishing my fuel system. Still have plenty to do so next on the plan was to get the wiring done. This week I was able to get the rear section done. This is the first time I ever rewire a car and I think I'm doing pretty good from the condition the wiring was in before. I reused the old connectors with new terminals where I could instead of splicing new wires with old wires. It doesn't seem like a lot but it took a lot of time to research and plan what wires from the EZ harness goes into factory locations. Next week I'll have the front finished then may need help from a buddy to do the ignition and dash.

I'm just saying, if I ever get rid of this car the next person will get a deal, the interior has been stripped, POR-15'd and Lizard Skin'd, new wiring and new interior ready to go in. And that's just a start.

Video below, Subscribe if you don't mind. I'm working at getting better at making them.

Offline sonicgroove

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2019, 02:13:04 AM »
LOL "you're my boy, blue!"

You know, its bad enough that you make me want to work on a car. Now you got to add making me hungry and thirsty on top of it all! Evil... just evil... especially the sweet tea part... damn you! :cheers: :chug:

I'm loving those side edits to the videos, lol. Very entertaining.

-groovin
1987 MAZDA RX-7 LS1 T56 | 1995 MAZDA RX-7 ST PORT BOLT-ON'S ADAPTRONIC PNP | 1994 MAZDA RX-7 TSP 416 LS3 T56 MAGNUM E40 ECM

Offline Cobranut

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2019, 08:13:10 PM »
Nice work on the wiring, and very entertaining video.   :afro:
One tip would be that there are better crimp tools out there if you're going to do a lot of wiring.  However, they can be quite expensive, so not usually worth it unless you use them a lot.  eg: https://www.newark.com/amp-te-connectivity/58628-1-cal-d/ratchet-hand-tool-26-14awg-contact/dp/08AC2373?st=crimper

Another thing is a heat gun is much better for heat shrink tubing. 
I use this one from Weller:   https://www.newark.com/weller/6966c/electric-industrial-heat-gun-120vac/dp/35F3074
It's faster and doesn't scorch the tubing like a flame can.

Offline sonicgroove

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2019, 12:02:02 AM »
One tip would be that there are better crimp tools out there if you're going to do a lot of wiring.  However, they can be quite expensive, so not usually worth it unless you use them a lot.  eg: https://www.newark.com/amp-te-connectivity/58628-1-cal-d/ratchet-hand-tool-26-14awg-contact/dp/08AC2373?st=crimper

I use this one from Weller:   https://www.newark.com/weller/6966c/electric-industrial-heat-gun-120vac/dp/35F3074

I'm usually the type to opt for top tier products but find it hard to swallow spending that much for a mechanical tool when alternatives that cost 15x cheaper with lifetime warranties are available and perform equally well. For many mechanical hand tools the users technique holds more value than the tool itself. For example a master welder could toss out better welds using a cheap chinese gas-less welder than a novice welder using one of millers top gas welders with the latest autoset feature. That said I've had great luck with the chinese b-crimpers sold online. I've had good experience with IWISS and have every crimper to perform B crimps ranging from 28g to 0g. I love B crimps. I feel they are the best type possible because you can crimp the wire and the insulation. Good crimps on the wire is important for obvious reasons but crimping the the insulation is often over looked and if you see whats readily available at autoparts store they don't normally offer terminals that crimp both. The insulation crimp helps with durability especially when your working with thin wires that are more prone to breaking after manipulating them only a hand few of times. Linked is one of the chinese B-crimpers offered online. Also attached is the B-crimps i've done with the iwiss crimpers. Again if the wire is thick longevity of the connection should be pretty good but for thinner wires I'd recommend finding terminals that crimp both the insulation and wire.

I hope I don't offend you in anyway, cobra. I'm just tossing my opinion out there with an alternative option for unleashed to ponder about.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OMMZ502/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

-groovin
1987 MAZDA RX-7 LS1 T56 | 1995 MAZDA RX-7 ST PORT BOLT-ON'S ADAPTRONIC PNP | 1994 MAZDA RX-7 TSP 416 LS3 T56 MAGNUM E40 ECM

Offline Cobranut

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2019, 08:32:39 AM »
Groove, that looks like a great deal on those crumpets. They look very similar to the Amp ones I have.
Mine came from a former employer that was closing.
If I were paying for them myself I'd definitely give those a try. 😊

Offline sonicgroove

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2019, 04:26:19 PM »
Groove, that looks like a great deal on those crumpets. They look very similar to the Amp ones I have.
Mine came from a former employer that was closing.
If I were paying for them myself I'd definitely give those a try. 😊

:cheers:

-groovin

Offline Cobranut

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2019, 06:14:48 PM »
How the fuck did spell check change crimpers to crumpets???   ::)

Offline bstallion

• In The Bleach Box
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2019, 08:46:37 PM »
LOL "you're my boy, blue!"

You know, its bad enough that you make me want to work on a car. Now you got to add making me hungry and thirsty on top of it all! Evil... just evil... especially the sweet tea part... damn you! :cheers: :chug:

I'm loving those side edits to the videos, lol. Very entertaining.

-groovin

Trying to mix it up a little instead of having time lapses for days.

If I do a whole car again I'd certainly consider one of those, I'd do a lot different in fact.

A fellow FD owner stopped by during the week, he offered to work out a deal on a CYM (salvaged title) for the 280z, was very temping but I waited a long time for an S30 that wasn't completely rusted out to come a long in my area.

Moved on to the front of the car, mainly the lights and horns. Will be deleting the side markers in the future so I didn't bother splicing them in the loom. I couldn't run wires directly to the turn signals, they have to be spliced and aren't pretty but you won't be able to see it from an airplane. After cutting wires to length and attached connectors I wrapped the front section, but I'm not a rapper. The alternator is wired, the starter needs to be finished, I need to find out how an HEI Distributor system works to finish that. The battery is in place and just need a few more wires added to it, its coming along, it takes me hours of planning and research just to get a few minutes of work done, sadly.

Next time I'll finish up under the hood and connect my fuel hose since it came in. The plan after that is to knock out the dash then move on to installing the rest of the interior, Sooooooooo CLOSE. Then of course there are things like paint, coating the wheel wells, 5 lug swap, manual swap, so much to do, but that can be done while the car is drive able.

Offline DDv8

« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2019, 10:39:50 PM »
Large cap HEI wiring

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/HEI-Distributor-Wiring-Pigtail-8-Inches,293937.html

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Red goes to key hot run 12v ~10ga wire,  no resistor wire or blocks needed.
green is tach signal wire

DD
86fc old school 327, T5, converting to 8.8 tbird