March 23, 2019, 01:20:37 PM

Author Topic: UNLEASHED 280z 350sbc  (Read 1259 times)

Offline bstallion

• In The Bleach Box
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
UNLEASHED 280z 350sbc
« on: December 15, 2018, 03:45:58 PM »
Not an rx7 but it is a V8 swapped build in progress. I know it would be a long time before I'll be driving my FD and wanted something to drive for now while I take my time building the rx7 so I starting looking into something else. After a few hours of searching I found a 1975 280z for sale on CL and moved forward into making a deal for it. It was described as perfect running and driving with only needing minor interior work and new brake pads. This will be picture heavy and a little bit may be out of order.

Will be making videos of Build on Youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPP12-0eBbevkz8mj8iIlOQ?view_as=subscriber

These were the images posted in the ad.

Went check it out, it had no major rust visible so that was a bonus. It ran and drove under its own power so I loaded it up and took it home.

Got it home and starting looking over everything more thoroughly.

Gave it a wash for the first time. Also removed those lights and spoiler.

Under the carpet most of the wiring was spliced, wire nutted, and taped together. After a little scraping on what looked like surface rust I found a few bad rust spots. The brake pads were fine, the calipers were seized. I ordered some new ones and replaced, maybe later I'll upgrade them and do a five lug swap. This car needed a lot more work than what was lead on to believe.

Moved the car under my carport to work on it out of the sun, need to strip the interior and some exterior to plan for POR-15 and Lizard Skin. For S&Gs i put an FD Seat in to get an idea of what it would look like.

InteriorStripping

Most of the interior has been removed. During the first few days i made a list and big order for replacement parts, most of it has arrived and stored until the car is ready for them.

After a few weeks of stripping the factory sound deadener, paint, and rust the interior was ready to be prepped for POR-15. I put an FD roll bar inside just for the fun of it, no plans on using it in this car.

I did order a roll bar made for the S30 but not sure if I'll use it or go with something else. Pulled the car out of the car port to give me some room to move about while applying the POR-15. I got new bumpers in so went ahead and removed the factory ones.

To make working in the sun bearable and to provide the cars with a little protection from the weather I ordered a canopy. With the wife's help I had it assembled and set into place within a few hours and was happy with the result. Will make working a lot easier during hot or rainy days, and I can reinforce it in the future to make it a more permanent set up.

There were a few small rust spots, I didn't see the need to cut a whole floor pan to weld in new pieces. I used fiberglass and resin for the repairs, it was only in 3 places. After the rust repair I used metal prep on the bare metal to get it ready for POR-15, this was my first time using it, I'm sure it won't be the last.

I applied two coats with a brush 6 hours apart. I think it came out good.

After giving the POR-15 a few days to dry I went right into masking and filling threads with tape before spraying the Lizard Skin, also my first time using Lizard Skin. I have another kit to use in my FD for later, I used Fat Mat originally for that car but will remove it for Lizard Skin.

I went with the sound deadener and ceramic coat kit, 2 coats of each. Pictures are between coats and cured of each. POR-15 and Lizard Skin are probably overkill.

Next thing to focus on is Wiring, being that the majority of the cars wiring was loose wires with wire nuts i removed everything and decided on a 21 Circuit E-Z Wiring Harness. The Harness using factory connectors but I didn't have much to go off of so order 3 prong and 2 prong connectors and some assorted grommets.

Got a new Air Dam in, still need to mount it. Decided on using Riv-Nuts to mount the 3 Piece Spoiler. Z battery tie down will be used, the battery was just sitting in place. Got some Z coasters just because.

The interior is mocked up temporarily so I get see where and how to route the wiring. I'm doing a lot for the first time on this car. The FD Seats fit good, almost a direct swap. I'm waiting on SpeedHut Gauges to come in to finish wiring up the dash.

The only thing keeping the car from driving is to finish the wiring and install the fuel tank, i took it off to clean it.

Current build list:
Engine/Trans:
JTR Swap Kit
350 SBC
Holley Street Avengers Carburetor
Summit Racing 3 Row Radiator
New Battery/Tray/Cables/Connectors
Ceramic Headers (Need to Install)
TH350 Transmission
B&M Shifter

Interior:
Motorsport Auto Carpet
Motorsport Auto Floor Mats
RX7 FD Suede Seats
NRG Hub and Steering Wheel
EZ Wiring Harness
POR-15/ Lizard Skin
Zstore Vinyl Kit
Half Roll Bar

Exterior:
Side Skirts
Rear Louver
Honda Accord Wiper Motor
3 Piece Rear Spoiler
240z Front Bumper
240z Rear Bumper
Xenon 3125 Air Dam

Brakes:
Cross Drilled/Slotted Rotors
New Calipers/New Pads
« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 02:55:56 PM by bstallion »

Offline sonicgroove

Re: 280z 350sbc
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2018, 06:09:06 PM »
Nice find and great work to start out. I especially like the overkill on the interior. How much material in weight do you think the por15 and lizard skin totaled? That is going to be a very nice car to drive as an alternative.

-groovin
1987 MAZDA RX-7 LS1 T56 | 1995 MAZDA RX-7 ST PORT BOLT-ON'S ADAPTRONIC PNP | 1994 MAZDA RX-7 TSP 416 LS3 T56 MAGNUM E40 ECM

Offline digitalsolo

• Administrator
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • LS1FC.com
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2018, 06:35:57 PM »
That's some nice progress from where you started.   Interior is looking really nice.
Blake MF'ing McBride
1988 Mazda RX7 - Turbo LS1/T56/ProEFI/8.8/Not Slow...   sold.
1965 Mustang Coupe - TT Coyote, TR6060, modern brakes/suspension...  project car
2013 Focus ST3 - Stage 1 BPU

Offline bstallion

• In The Bleach Box
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2018, 08:50:54 PM »
Nice find and great work to start out. I especially like the overkill on the interior. How much material in weight do you think the por15 and lizard skin totaled? That is going to be a very nice car to drive as an alternative.

-groovin

Probably a 10-15 lb increase depending on how much the factory sound deadener weighed.

That's some nice progress from where you started.   Interior is looking really nice.

Thanks.

Offline freeskier7791

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2018, 05:04:11 AM »
Great job.  I think all projects you buy have way more work needed than the seller states.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Offline smeddler

• Supporting Member
  • In The Bleach Box
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2018, 06:53:02 PM »
Man for a 1975 Datsun that is in very nice shape!!

Offline Venom13132

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2018, 06:38:23 AM »
very cool.  I have always wanted one of those but didn't want to deal with the rust issues.
1995 RX-7 - LS1, T56: LS6 Intake, Feed wide body, Feed CF Side skirts, Ray's Gram Lights, K-Sport coilovers, 99 spec\ tails and spoiler, SpeedHut Gauges, Aeromotive fuel pump
2000 Ford Excursion - V10 Tow monster
2006 BMW 650i - 4.8l V8 6-Speed Manual - Daily Driver

Offline bstallion

• In The Bleach Box
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2018, 11:09:43 PM »
very cool.  I have always wanted one of those but didn't want to deal with the rust issues.

Man for a 1975 Datsun that is in very nice shape!!

Great job.  I think all projects you buy have way more work needed than the seller states.

Thanks, Luckily this one wasn't too bad on the rust and is in decent shape. I don't mind needing to put some work in, gives the opportunity to learn.

Since I'm waiting on Speed Hut gauges to finish this one off I did some moving around and cleaned it and the rx7 up a little. I also need a nice warm day to take the carpet and vinyl out to sit in the sun to fit right. The new interior went straight from the boxes to the install. Then I have the bumpers and front air dam to put on to complete the exterior. I'm thinking once its done I may list it to fund the rx7 once and for all, or at least trade it for a running one to be driving an FD again a little sooner, no telling.

Videos from when I first got it home.
Engine Running

Walk Around

« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 12:33:51 AM by bstallion »

Offline Cobranut

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2018, 03:34:22 AM »
Threads like this make me wish Blake would remove the option to post full-size images in the page.
This page takes 5 full minutes to load, and every time I check the site from my phone, and this page has a new post, it burns up a shit-ton of data.   :banghead:

Posting thumbnails which open when clicked is drastically more efficient.

Not everyone has unlimited, or fast, data access, you know.  :'(  Some of us live out in the country.
1995 FD, 7.0 Liter stroked LS3, T56, 8.8, Samberg kit.

Offline 90FC

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2018, 03:37:29 AM »
I love the old Z's! That dash looks to be in surprisingly good shape. Is that the original?

Great progress so far! Excited to see what more you have in store for it. :)

Offline bstallion

• In The Bleach Box
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2018, 02:09:51 PM »
Threads like this make me wish Blake would remove the option to post full-size images in the page.
This page takes 5 full minutes to load, and every time I check the site from my phone, and this page has a new post, it burns up a shit-ton of data.   :banghead:

Posting thumbnails which open when clicked is drastically more efficient.

Not everyone has unlimited, or fast, data access, you know.  :'(  Some of us live out in the country.

I cut out some pictures that kind of show the same thing.

I love the old Z's! That dash looks to be in surprisingly good shape. Is that the original?

Great progress so far! Excited to see what more you have in store for it. :)

The dash is original but has a plastic cover on the top half, its cracked bad under it.

Offline N2v8fcs

Re: UNLEASHED 280z 350sbc
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2019, 05:40:47 PM »
nice work man!
:drive:
new personal best 11.45 @ 120 mph N/A car...9.11 @152 mph for the turbo car.

1987 FC  355 SBC, T-5, T2 rear        retired 5-4-11
1991 FC  383 SBC, sold to Dad. Now 5.3 w 76mm turbo, G-force T-5, 8.8 Ronin rear 
1990 FC  370 CID 6.0 w 88mm turbo, Powerglide, Ronin 8.8 w 3.15 gears

Offline bstallion

• In The Bleach Box
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2019, 07:24:50 PM »
nice work man!

Thank you, kind of picked back up on it today.

Got a Lizard Skin hat since I used there product for my car.

Received my Speed Hut gauges and brackets after a few weeks of ordering.

I let the vinyl and rx7 carpet sit out in the sun to make them easier to work with. Haven't had a sunny day in weeks.

Roll bar is powder coated black

Got some JLs for a little extra bump in the hatch

Took all the interior parts out of storage to clean and have ready for when they go back in.

Designed a Logo and printed it from my Cricut

That's where I leave it for now, I'll get working on the wiring again next week.

Offline sonicgroove

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2019, 04:32:58 PM »
Man... That 280 makes me jealous... very very nice car. I'm very much enjoying those updates and looking forward to seeing each stage of its evolution.

-groovin
1987 MAZDA RX-7 LS1 T56 | 1995 MAZDA RX-7 ST PORT BOLT-ON'S ADAPTRONIC PNP | 1994 MAZDA RX-7 TSP 416 LS3 T56 MAGNUM E40 ECM

Offline bstallion

• In The Bleach Box
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2019, 05:12:57 PM »
Man... That 280 makes me jealous... very very nice car. I'm very much enjoying those updates and looking forward to seeing each stage of its evolution.

-groovin

Thanks, Trying hard to have it back on the road in a few weeks.

So pretty much was two issues from being good to go, fuel tank being put back in and wiring. This week I finished cleaning the tank and put it back in. I originally took the tank off to get the rear bumper struts out then couldn't put it back in as is being it looked disgusting.
A sand blasting cabinet came up for sale for $75 and I had to get it, I've been keeping my eye out for one before buying a new one. The EZ diagram only has two wires for the fuel and the car has a 4 prong connector and it is almost impossible to find a correct diagram online for these cars. I sourced help from the s30 group on facebook and they pointed me in the right direction to terminate the wiring.

Fairlady-FD