December 17, 2018, 11:23:37 AM

Author Topic: New Daily: Porsche 718 Cayman S  (Read 281 times)

Offline carlb

New Daily: Porsche 718 Cayman S
« on: December 01, 2018, 01:13:18 AM »
So I recently bought a 6,000 mile used 2018 Cayman S, 6-speed manual with PASM, in Sapphire Blue over black. Been driving around for about a week. My strongest impression is how smooth it is. It's almost too good. I really understand reviewers who say it makes you feel like a super hero. No drama, just fast.

My second major impression is how good the LS2 FD really is. It is definitely faster than the Cayman. Steering feel is so sweet even if the Cayman is sweeter defying its electrification. Mid-corner confidence in the FD is remarkable for a car of this vintage with zero electrical nannies. However, losing the FD in the corner is an event where in the Cayman it is fleeting, forgotten before it really began.

To use more colorfully accurate language, the LS FD is a shiv where the Cayman is a scalpel. The FD is the proverbial sledge hammer where the Cayman is the precisely programmed pneumatic gun. Everything about the Cayman feels precise and, when pushed too far, so very forgivable. My FD wants you dead along with anyone who ever looked at it without the appropriate reverence.

Despite that major difference in character, the FD is remarkably close to the Cayman's agility without the massive advantages of a better fundamental layout and 25 years of technical wizardry from the best wizard in the business. I'm sure that I can achieve significantly better lap times at my local track with the Cayman. It inspires enough confidence that that alone would account for whole seconds on a lap. I'm pretty sure, however, that I'd surprise a Cayman S driver of equipment capability if I were trailing in the FD. Hell, the sound at full song might scare them into submission (which is all I'll say about the muted 4 cylindar that otherwise is brilliant).

Note: If I had the PDK, the gap would larger.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Offline digitalsolo

• Administrator
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • LS1FC.com
Re: New Daily: Porsche 718 Cayman S
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2018, 10:09:59 AM »
Very nice!   I'd LOVE to have a Cayman.   I honestly think my next "fun car" if I replace the Mustang is either going to be a Cayman or 911, or maybe an Aston Martin.    The concept of still fast, but actually NICE seems like a good combo for my much less young than I used to be self.  :D
Blake MF'ing McBride
1988 Mazda RX7 - Turbo LS1/T56/ProEFI/8.8/Not Slow...   sold.
1965 Mustang Coupe - TT Coyote, TR6060, modern brakes/suspension...  project car
2013 Focus ST3 - Stage 1 BPU

Offline carlb

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2018, 10:27:48 AM »
Very nice!   I'd LOVE to have a Cayman.   I honestly think my next "fun car" if I replace the Mustang is either going to be a Cayman or 911, or maybe an Aston Martin.    The concept of still fast, but actually NICE seems like a good combo for my much less young than I used to be self.  :D
I've lusted after one since Gen 1. But, I purchased a Z4M Coupe when I needed a more comfortable hooligan. In fact, I almost bought an M2 Competition this time! I'm more a BMW guy than anything (I currently own 4 of 80's vintage). And, the M2 is exactly the kind of BMW I want. However, I couldn't find a manual and didn't want to wait for 9-12 months for an dealer allotment plus build/ship time. So the Cayman's time finally came. I'm sure it was the right call.

Offline paul_3rdgen

• Supporting Member
  • Launching!
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2018, 03:49:26 PM »
Can beat the German refinement!  One day Im hoping to pick up a 997 turbo. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
93 RX7 R1 500rwhp
LS2, H/C combo... ARE drysump
Race Logic traction Control and 4 wheel Stoptech BBK
3.73 gears installed in the stock diff  :o

Offline gnx7

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2018, 04:46:53 PM »
Those are great cars!  I love driving my buddies 997.2 GT3 RS in the twisties!  I drive it every month for about an hour.... Drove it soo hard one time my hands were trembling when I got out.... don't drive it that hard after that day!

I'm eyeing 2017+ Z06 7 speed manual Corvettes as they are soon to be under $60K for low mile units with the C8 Corvette coming out next year. 
'93 FD: 441ci/AllPro LS7 heads/intake en route, T56 Mag, 8.8" IRS, HolleyHP, DavisTechTC 10.32@137mph cats/full exhaust. 165mph 1/2 mile (old LS7)
'93 FD LS9 turbo, T56 Mag, Samberg 8.8" solid axle, 9.35@163mph 197mph 1/2 mile
`69 Chevelle: alum 5.3, GTS76 turbo, ChiseledPerf A/W, T56 Magnum,Ford 35 spline 9".CTS-V interior http://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=18234.0
old yellar....440rwhp/FD sold but not forgotten: http://www.ponycars.net/scc.htm
I sell new T56 Magnums/McLeod clutch/T56 rebuild kits/Holley EFI/FIC injectors and all BrianTooleyRacing parts.  norcalmotorsport@gmail.com

Online freeskier7791

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2018, 05:42:10 AM »
Very nice car.  Love that blue.  How was it buyjng from Carmax?  They get surprisingly nice cars sometime

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Offline carlb

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2018, 11:22:05 AM »
Very nice car.  Love that blue.  How was it buyjng from Carmax?  They get surprisingly nice cars sometime

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
I thought it was great. The major benefit in this case was that this car was in Santa Ana, CA and they shipped it up here for a couple of hundred, without needing a commitment to buy. It was the right color, with the right options in manual for a price I couldn't beat locally. And I tried on similarly configured cars that weren't exactly what I wanted but all were higher priced after my negotiation attempts. So win, win, win.

Offline carlb

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2018, 10:51:19 AM »
I also considered a Jaguar F-Type. Mainly because it is absolutely gorgeous. Jaguar managed to take a basic form that they and Aston Martin, primarily, have been noodling on for more than a decade and they just nailed the form. They went beyond the visuals and got the aural design spot on too. It is a beautiful and reasonably fast GT car. It seems to be a car that generates emotions. In the end, the F-Type was third on my list behind the M2 Competition and the 718 Cayman S. The Alfa Romeo 4C was the passion play, wildcard on the list. Luckily, you can't get the 4C in manual. I might have one instead of a Cayman, if they did.

Online freeskier7791

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2018, 11:16:30 AM »
Very Cool,  That's nice they sent the car up to you.  Could you not find an M2 competition?  My dad absolutely loves his M2, and the competition looks even better.

Offline carlb

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2018, 10:38:00 PM »
Very Cool,  That's nice they sent the car up to you.  Could you not find an M2 competition?  My dad absolutely loves his M2, and the competition looks even better.

I could find an M2 Competition in Arizona and another on the east coast that weren't already spoken for, both were autos (even though both said they were manual in the ad... "automated manual" get out of here. Yes, I know "technically"...). Anyway, couldn't find a 2019 M2 Competition anywhere where you can row your own. I'm sure in a year or so, that won't be a problem. I didn't want to wait the 3-4 months it would've taken to get an build allocation from a dealer plus the 4-6 month build time after the allotment is taken.

Offline MPbdy

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2018, 12:04:54 AM »
I bought an m235 in August and it is the best daily I could ask for. I absolutely love it. I thought Id be an idiot and dump a bunch of money to tune it, but honesty dont mind the power level stock. Its a very high 12, low 13 second car stock. Very fun with the stick.  Only thing Id want different is it needs an LSD and it needs more loud.

caymans always catch my eye on the road. Id love one, but I worry about the too good feeling you mentioned taking some enjoyment away. Congrats on the new ride!

Online freeskier7791

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2018, 11:36:35 AM »

I could find an M2 Competition in Arizona and another on the east coast that weren't already spoken for, both were autos (even though both said they were manual in the ad... "automated manual" get out of here. Yes, I know "technically"...). Anyway, couldn't find a 2019 M2 Competition anywhere where you can row your own. I'm sure in a year or so, that won't be a problem. I didn't want to wait the 3-4 months it would've taken to get an build allocation from a dealer plus the 4-6 month build time after the allotment is taken.

Yea, my Dad did the whole build thing with his, but still got an auto  :(  I am gonna push him to get some power mods once the warranty runs out.