December 17, 2018, 11:23:42 AM

Author Topic: LS2 FD - RHD  (Read 4590 times)

Offline efiniste

• Pre-Staging
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
Re: It's home!
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2010, 05:07:04 PM »
Yeah, exhaust headers and clutch hydraulics were the worst bits, although Carl0s on here has since found a nice solution for the headers. Some of the plumbing routing is a bit convoluted too but nothing I can't live with :)

Offline efiniste

• Pre-Staging
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2010, 11:39:32 AM »
Dyno'd today. My suspicions about the air intake were correct. It's collapsing at 5000rpm and shutting off any airflow into the engine. hmmm. Back to the drawing board! It still peaked at 420 ft/lbs before shutting down, not too bad for a standard LS2 with 1.8 rockers and no alterations to the standard tune.

Offline GEAUX FAST

« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2010, 12:38:02 PM »
I have an LS2 with T56 in my FD and experience no noises from the transmission as you describe it (other than the "click"... "click"... "click"... when I'm rowing through the gears  :drive: ).

How many miles on the T56 and clutch?

same with mine, no rattling, shaking, vibrating, just clicks from the MGW shifter  8)
Although reverse is super hard to get into , its a two hand operation, no grinding or popping out, just a VERY firm feeling to get it in reverse

Offline SkEdY

• Pre-Staging
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2010, 06:51:21 PM »
Just a few quick questions as im building a RHD aswell.
with your dash cluster how did you wire in all the sensors?
speedo, alternator light, tacho, water temp and oil pressure light.
i have a s8 2001 rx7 and there is no info around about cluster pinouts as they where only released in japan!
all the instructions are for LHD and all the colours are different lol
It's never a pitty to LSx a FD. It's like giving a homeless guy a job and helping him be a productive member of society.

Offline efiniste

• Pre-Staging
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2010, 07:28:38 AM »
Water temp and oil pressure use the Mazda senders so you can keep the stock wiring for those.
Speedo and tacho were the same pins and colours as BurtonCR's LS2 wiring spreadsheet (search, I think it's a sticky somewhere on here).
Alternator light and oil pressure light (which is actually an oil level warning iirc) I don't have working yet. I'll be pulling my dash over the winter to chase the stuff like this that I couldn't work out from the LHD wiring diagrams.

Offline efiniste

• Pre-Staging
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2010, 07:32:45 AM »
I'll be changing the oil in my gearbox as soon as I get around to it. The shift from 1st to 2nd doesn't always go smoothly and there's a noticeable whine in those two gears that I don't hear in any other gears. I'm hoping some decent fluids will do the trick and it's not a bearing problem!

Offline efiniste

• Pre-Staging
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2010, 04:58:26 AM »
After thinking about my intake problem for a couple of days I've decided to bite the bullet and order up Samberg's V2 rad kit. I want to put AC in the car soon and there's just no room to run the pipework with the current setup. Added to this I don't have room to run a full 4" pipe and filter up to the throttle body. ho hum.

As this is turning into more of a build thread than I expected it to I'm going to pm Blake and ask him to move it to that section. Might rename the thread too if possible.

Offline digitalsolo

• Administrator
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • LS1FC.com
Re: LS2 FD - RHD
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2010, 03:01:15 PM »
You won't be sorry with a Samberg kit, that's fo' sho.

You're in the build area and renamed also, sir.  :)
Blake MF'ing McBride
1988 Mazda RX7 - Turbo LS1/T56/ProEFI/8.8/Not Slow...   sold.
1965 Mustang Coupe - TT Coyote, TR6060, modern brakes/suspension...  project car
2013 Focus ST3 - Stage 1 BPU

Offline Walt Kowalski

• Pre-Staging
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2010, 07:02:07 AM »
FWIW I found that Castrol Transmax Z Full Synthetic AUTOMATIC transmission fluid transformed my 235,000 klm SS Commodore T56.

It felt like a little Honda gearchange after the Transmax Z and noises disappeared.

The gun Tremec agent in Australia is Mal Woods and he will not warrant his race/street Tremecs unless they run the Transmax Z.

MIght be worth a try?
[Today 08:44 PM] ADJUST : im so stoked my car only did a side seal, has given me hope lol

Offline digitalsolo

• Administrator
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • LS1FC.com
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2010, 09:20:09 AM »
A friend of mine and I have been running 3 quarts of B&M Trickshift, which is a DexIII/IV equivalent with some light friction modifiers in it, + 1 quart of GM Synchromesh.    The Synchromesh is a little thick, and the tranny runs hot with it straight, but the B&M is thin enough to keep it cool, but the between the friction modifiers in the Trickshift and the grip in the synchromesh, it seems to really help the syncrhos "grab" better than straight synth Dex in it.

I know my friend does auto-X in his car (2003 Mustang Mach 1 w/ a T56 conversion and a Kenne Bell blower) and between my rebuild of his tranny and that fluid mix, he loves it.
Blake MF'ing McBride
1988 Mazda RX7 - Turbo LS1/T56/ProEFI/8.8/Not Slow...   sold.
1965 Mustang Coupe - TT Coyote, TR6060, modern brakes/suspension...  project car
2013 Focus ST3 - Stage 1 BPU

Offline efiniste

• Pre-Staging
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2010, 05:20:32 PM »
Thanks guys. I can't find a supplier of B&M trickshift over here and the Transmax comes in minimum 20 litre drums from the only supplier I can find. Believe it or not they only use it in buses and trucks here. However every review I've found of it raves about how good it is so I might stump up for a lifetime's supply 20 litre drum :)

Thanks for the pointers.

Steve

Offline efiniste

• Pre-Staging
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2010, 03:31:06 PM »
Update time.

Transmax Z fluid in the gearbox. Check. Much quieter and smoother changes. 1st to 2nd can still be a bit of a pig though. I'll give it a few miles to see if I get used to it or whether it's a genuine problem. Thanks for the heads up Walt.

Decent fluid in the clutch. Check. The old stuff was black within 200 miles. Clutch is noticeably better but still not right - see below.

Samberg rad fitted. Check. What an awesome bit of kit. Aside from looking beautiful it's also upped my dyno numbers from 427 ft/lbs to 477 ft/lbs and 395hp to 464hp!

Exhaust quieter. Check. Had a new system made up from the Y-pipe back. 1 mid-car silencer and a big one with twin 3" pipes at the rear. Sounds fantastic. Very quiet at idle and a lovely sound on throttle. I'm very impressed with it. It was made up by a local firm a stumbled upon while trying to find somewhere to fix a slow puncture one Sunday morning.

Problems:

The clutch is letting go at higher revs on the dyno. I'm not surprised really given the numbers it's now putting out. We couldn't really do any tuning today because of it. I'm going to order up an LS7 kit from sdparts. I could get one over here but I'm looking at nearly ?900 ($1440!) for the kit and a slave cylinder. Daylight robbery.

The front suspension camber plates are moving around under load. My subframe is one of Justin's originals with only one camber plate per suspension bolt. It's just not got enough clamping force to cope with the loads imo. I've ordered the extra camber and U-plates from Justin so hopefully that'll fix the problem.

All in all I love it. It's so much easier to live with than the rotary and the change in character from relaxed cruising to all out attack at the flex of an ankle is amazing. I find myself only using half throttle most of the time as frankly, full throttle scares me at the moment. A few more miles and I'll be asking about turbo installs no doubt ;)

Offline BrownBoy

« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2010, 04:38:33 PM »
Carl0s on here has since found a nice solution for the headers.

Do tell! :)

Offline efiniste

• Pre-Staging
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2010, 05:00:14 PM »