October 18, 2018, 02:47:58 AM

Author Topic: Manual Rack Question  (Read 147 times)

Offline Supe

Manual Rack Question
« on: October 03, 2018, 10:05:13 AM »
Can anyone confirm that there are no seals towards the center of a manual steering rack housing? (mid way down the tube between the pinion housing and the flare on the passenger side housing near the mount.)  Since I have to roll my rack forward a bit for my swap, I would like to weld a small locating tab to the center of the housing and need to make sure I'm not going to melt/damage anything on the backside.  Thanks!

Offline SLACer

• Supporting Member
  • In The Bleach Box
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
Re: Manual Rack Question
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2018, 10:19:38 PM »
Can anyone confirm that there are no seals towards the center of a manual steering rack housing? (mid way down the tube between the pinion housing and the flare on the passenger side housing near the mount.)  Since I have to roll my rack forward a bit for my swap, I would like to weld a small locating tab to the center of the housing and need to make sure I'm not going to melt/damage anything on the backside.  Thanks!

I haven't had to rebuild mine yet, but looking at the service manual, it does look like there is an o-ring there. Check page 10B-11, 10B-16, and 10B-18
https://www.norotors.com/pdfs/s4manuals/10b_POWER_STEERING_SYSTEM.pdf

Offline Supe

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2018, 05:26:13 PM »
There will be on a power rack because it has to seal for the hydraulic assist.  The manual rack doesn't really have a reason to have those seals internally, which is why I'm wondering.

Offline 90FC

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2018, 09:56:14 PM »
I currently have a manual rack disassembled. There are no seals or bushings in the center section of the rack, only on the ends.

Offline Supe

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2018, 10:52:22 AM »
I currently have a manual rack disassembled. There are no seals or bushings in the center section of the rack, only on the ends.

Thanks!  I ended up just drilling into the aluminum section and pinning it with a set screw, but if it moves on me, I will keep that in mind!