September 24, 2018, 02:58:42 PM

Author Topic: Pros/cons of MKIV Supra TT or R33/R34 Skyline GTR over V8 RX7?  (Read 801 times)

Offline spacevomit

• Supporting Member
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
Re: Pros/cons of MKIV Supra TT or R33/R34 Skyline GTR over V8 RX7?
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2018, 11:32:39 AM »
Socialization tip: dont reveal embarassing personal info.  :poke:

Offline MPbdy

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2018, 01:10:55 PM »
You've gotta establish some sort of outcome/goal beyond "I like some stuff that's cool" or you're going to have a lot of trouble coming  up with a build strategy that's coherent.

Omg this should have been the first post in spacevomit’s thread :’D

Offline staticx27

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2018, 01:58:29 PM »

Hey man, I don't think anyone here dislikes you, and I don't think you really have a bad personality based on how you've expressed yourself here thus far.

I think the consistent theme I see with the people responding to you is that you have unrealistic expectations and faulty images in terms of what you want in a car.  A 1000HP car is unrealistic, unless you're looking for a purely drag race application car.  The cost of it is pretty impressive, likely requiring a lot of custom work.

If both of those align with your goals, then by all means, full speed ahead, I am greatly looking forward to reading your build thread.  That's one of the awesome parts about this forum, is people are very knowledgeable, willing to share that knowledge and are brutally honest about making sure everyone's feet stay grounded in reality.  That's all people are saying to you.  No one is making fun of you, ridiculing your idea, personally disliking you, etc.  We're just trying to get you to realistically manage your expectations and prepare you for the journey ahead, while trying to get you to confirm to yourself that this is truly what you want.

Your goals with cars (with life in general actually) should be specific, educated and realistic.  Bit of a tangent, but I used to be a high school teacher in Japan and every year I taught a lesson on making New Year's Resolutions.  I explained to a lot of my students that a goal like "Lose weight" is inherently worthless, because there's no specificity involved.  Lose 20lbs this year is a lot more powerful because it gives clear and concise goal points.  Even beyond that, you should set up mini-goals within the larger goal.  Lose 20 lbs sounds like a daunting task when you try to accomplish it, but losing 5lbs every 3 months sounds like a cake walk.  Both will get you to the finish line, but the difference is the mental approach you take.  Those are all things completely under your control, regardless of mental issues, personality defects, etc.  I mean I could write a whole book on the topic of goal realization and such, but to relate it to you, I think you should structure your project car goals with various steps in mind, regardless of how much extra time or money it costs.  Personally, I'd break it down like this:

1) Get platform you want
2) Swap said platform with the engine you want
3) Get it running at 100%: power steering, A/C; the works
4) Make it a low boost application (super charger, turbo; whatever)
5) Increase the boost / size of the turbos, etc
6) Rebuild motor to optimize boost application
7) Continue tweaking until you hit 1000hp

This process outlined above may take you 10 years, or even 20 years.  And realize, that anywhere along the path, maybe you'll find that you're enjoying the car around step 3 or 4 and decide to give up your goal and realize that 600whp is more than enough for you.  That doesn't mean you failed, it means you accomplished 4 / 7 of your goals and voluntarily stopped because of a realignment of your expectations.

Then you can also look into plenty of other things you can do to go faster without building a 1000hp engine.  Weight reduction is amazing.  One of the best mods anyone can make for their car is a diet and a gym membership.  I mean you can spend probably tens of thousands of dollars replacing every steel nut and bolt with titanium and save maybe 20lbs, or you can spend a year at the gym and lose 20lbs.  You can then focus on optimizing suspension geometry so you can actually put the power you have onto the ground. 

Cars (Especially the RX7) are such amazing machines with dozens of different systems working in perfect unison with each other.  It's a lot like listening to a symphony.  When everyone is working in perfect harmony, it's a work of art.  However, when the trumpets are blasting over everyone else, it doesn't sound very appealing, right?  You can increase the entire orchestra's skill level together and maintain that perfect harmony, or you can focus on one section and ruin the balance.  I mean, that's what makes the RX7 such an amazing platform.  It's not the power, it's not the weight distribution; it's all of it together working in perfect harmony.  I mean, how many LSx builds have you seen on an FC/FD that left stock suspension?  Stock wheels?  Usually, there are so many other aspects of the car that need to be upgrade to maintain that harmony and have a viable car.

Long story short (too late), you probably should do a swapped car and make that 400hp, and optimize that, then determine if you want to continue on the road to 1000hp.  After you're done with that, try making 600hp with optimization and ask that question again and again until you know you want 1000hp.

Hell, you could do an LS swap on your miata,
https://www.flyinmiata.com/miata-performance-parts/v8-conversions.html
You can even search a build vlog on youtube called "Project Thunderbolt."  Turn that Empty Material Possession, as you called it, into a beast.  Then appreciate that your mother effectively bought it for you, so don't think of it as an "empty material possession" and into "the physical representation of your mother's love."  Perspective is everything, and it's entirely under your control.  And I'm sure everyone here will read your build thread and cheer you on because that's the kind of forum this is.

Again, I do apologize if my advice is unwarranted, but I do think it's something you should read and think about, because I promise you, most of us have gone through the same thoughts you have and had reality bitch-slap us in the face. :)  I'd really hate for you spend $150k to build a 1000whp LSx Supra, only to hate it.

Offline FourAces

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2018, 02:05:06 PM »
That's sort of the idea, I'll do my hometime not driving 18 wheelers when the test n tune Tuesdays at the quarter mile are going on.

Edit: I can't drive crazy on public roadways anyways, I have a CDL, and I get federal CSA points against my CDL if I dick around in one of my personal vehicles. You guys can do it and be fine with your ordinary drivers licenses, but I have a federal driver's license, if I drive crazy on a public road it essentially trashes my CDL and ability to find employment.

Sorry about the post yesterday, I get cabin fever being in this truck all the time, it weighs on your mental health. In some ways it's like a mobile prison and it showed in that post.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 02:46:03 PM by FourAces »

Offline spacevomit

• Supporting Member
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2018, 03:50:51 PM »
Nothing to apologize for. Dont overly pathologize yourself, you're probably being just being hard on yourself. You seem a lot more self-aware than many other people.

Offline jwvand02

« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2018, 06:32:41 PM »
You've gotta establish some sort of outcome/goal beyond "I like some stuff that's cool" or you're going to have a lot of trouble coming  up with a build strategy that's coherent.

Omg this should have been the first post in spacevomit’s thread :’D

some people can make chaos as a way of life work  :yay:

Offline ls3_rob

« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2018, 08:03:01 PM »
hahahaha  :popcorn:
07 tl type s daily
93 rx7 ls3

Online digitalsolo

• Administrator
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • LS1FC.com
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2018, 08:28:13 PM »
Static wins most well thought out and helpful post of the month!
Blake MF'ing McBride
1988 Mazda RX7 - Turbo LS1/T56/ProEFI/8.8/Not Slow...   sold.
1965 Mustang Coupe - TT Coyote, TR6060, modern brakes/suspension...  project car
2013 Focus ST3 - Stage 1 BPU

Offline freeskier7791

« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2018, 08:59:39 AM »

This!! I think that V8 swapping your miata may be the most economical thing to do.  Also to keep yourself honest on your build I recommend making a spreadsheet documenting all the parts you need and their price.  It will help prevent scope creep

Offline Cobranut

« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2018, 12:34:21 PM »

This!! I think that V8 swapping your miata may be the most economical thing to do.  Also to keep yourself honest on your build I recommend making a spreadsheet documenting all the parts you need and their price.  It will help prevent scope creep

If I did that on any of my projects, it's probably scare me so bad I'd give up on cars altogether.   :banghead:
1995 FD, 7.0 Liter stroked LS3, T56, 8.8, Samberg kit.

Offline FourAces

« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2018, 05:16:24 AM »
It feels like sort of a car crime to heavily modify and V8 swap a rare 2002 Mica Blazing Yellow Miata SE. They only sent 1,000 of them to the US, for one year. And finding one in good shape is super difficult, I had to drive 1,000 miles to Houston to get mine, namely because it was one of the only ones in super nice shape after 16 years, that said it could use a PDR technician to go over it and a detail job.

As recommended in the thread, not going to show up at the races and try to beat that douchebag with the 1000whp C7 Z06 from back in the day (man what a dickhead though, I'd sure make quite the name for myself if I beat his car, my friend in his 840whp CTS V lost to him, one of the few races he lost).

If I could still beat some lightly modified Dodge Challengers, Camaros, Corvettes, and Mustangs I'd still be happy.

400-500whpish is a nice baseline to start off with, still maintains streetability too. I'd like a car I can also take a woman on a date in every now and then, assuming I try to get back into that game again. I've noticed women dont really like autistic men. But if men gained dick weight when they got fatter, man the entire game would change dramatically.

I actually have been thinking about working out again, as a means of weight reduction for the vehicle. The last time I hit up the gym regularly was when I had my 330whp MR2 Turbo, I was religious about weight reduction, even took the A/C out (man that car SUCKED ASS in the dead heat of summer, but I know there were some races where it made the difference between a w and a l). I remember I had the car running super perfect one day, and accelerating hard onto the interstate, that was only 330whp in a 2700lb vehicle, but I noticed it was getting to the point that the power levels I was putting down wasnt really useful without putting the public or my drivers license at risk. So I understand what you guys are saying g about 600whp+ beasts.

Just finished up another 2 weeks in the truck, man I tell you this new job requires massive amounts of personal sacrifice, and it really does weigh on you. I'm in this shitty top bunk, where all the humidity and heat collects up here, its 2:28 am in LA and I can't sleep worth one God damn.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 05:30:23 AM by FourAces »

Offline FourAces

« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2018, 05:33:09 AM »
Duplicate post. Interneting from a phone in the sleeper berth of an 18 wheeler sucks
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 06:16:19 AM by FourAces »

Offline Cobranut

« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2018, 11:01:59 AM »
"It feels like sort of a car crime to heavily modify and V8 swap a rare 2002 Mica Blazing Yellow Miata SE. They only sent 1,000 of them to the US, for one year."

My 1995 FD Base in Vintage Red is one of SEVEN.  Hell, they only imported 500 FD's TOTAL the final year.   :D
1995 FD, 7.0 Liter stroked LS3, T56, 8.8, Samberg kit.

Offline FourAces

« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2018, 11:28:52 AM »
The RX7, I mean, it's not a huge crime to swap those. The swap makes them more fuel/oil efficient, more reliable more powerful, cheaper costs of maintaining the engine.

I'm sorry but those rotaries, I've written them off as trash engines for going on 2 decades now.

I once was late to an exam and failed a class in college due to a broken down FC blocking a lane of traffic on my commute.

My neighbor bought an FC, and basically the engine was shot when he bought it and the car was only 8 or 9 years old at the time.

Btw Cobranut, saving up some money here and there, mind sharing some photos of your car with me? I particularly like the CCW classics. I might have to talk to my banker if you decide you want to try something different.

Offline kinger

« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2018, 12:54:50 PM »
While its fun to talk about 1000+ hp cars, I have been daily'ing my 7 all summer and honestly I am that guy that wants a 1000hp and its just not needed in a 7.  My 420+ish WHP/TQ is INSANE.  Like insane to drive you can't understand until you get behind the wheel for weeks and weeks to find all the situations.  Not something you drive once a week.  Getting around town, stop lights, round abouts.  Experiencing all of that in my 7 and I just can't see the need for a massive hp upgrade.  The car with AC, PS, Cruise, TC, is literally turn key drive anywhere in relative comfort and ease.  The sounds is like sex with long tubes into a single borla with J pipe to eliminate the drone.  I know its subjective but if you want the most FUN street car this is it.  I mean this exact one, with the lizard skin body, the immaculate interior, no rattles, all the creature comforts, mid range audio with subs, etc etc etc.  Would I lose in a drag race to a 1000whp vette yep probably, but do I care?  Not really.  This car is WHY swaps should have ever started.  Again subjective but I can't think of a better driving car ever created that I would appreciate more.  Its uncanny how good this thing is at EVERYTHING. 

Keep saving, keep looking for a 7, and get something 400-500hp and you will be one happy man.  It will make all your past toys feel like just that...a toy.  Stay the course!
93 Touring, 6.2L, 415/425 Whp/Wtq, 8.8, samberg everything, AC, PS, TC, Cruise, LED Tails, HID head lights, immaculate interior and paint.