April 26, 2019, 02:22:26 AM

Author Topic: Supe's NASCARX-7 (SB2.2 swap)  (Read 4805 times)

Offline freeskier7791

Re: Supe's NASCARX-7 (SB2.2 swap)
« Reply #75 on: January 22, 2019, 07:16:29 PM »
My FC had stock steering stuff.

My Mustang and Nick's FD have bumpsteer kits from Speedway Motors on them though.
My bad, which kit is on Nicks car? 

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Offline digitalsolo

• Administrator
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • LS1FC.com
« Reply #76 on: January 22, 2019, 10:32:11 PM »
I think itís a universal kit from Speedway.
Blake MF'ing McBride
1988 Mazda RX7 - Turbo LS1/T56/ProEFI/8.8/Not Slow...   sold.
1965 Mustang Coupe - TT Coyote, TR6060, modern brakes/suspension...  project car
2013 Focus ST3 - Stage 1 BPU

Offline Supe

« Reply #77 on: January 25, 2019, 01:54:31 PM »
Yeah - turned out that the FD ball joints were quite a bit bigger.  I will probably end up reaming them out, but I'm currently 9 days post-op on shoulder surgery, so it's going to be a long while before any updates!

Offline freeskier7791

« Reply #78 on: February 05, 2019, 07:26:56 AM »
Yeah - turned out that the FD ball joints were quite a bit bigger.  I will probably end up reaming them out, but I'm currently 9 days post-op on shoulder surgery, so it's going to be a long while before any updates!

I hope that shoulder heals up soon!

Offline Supe

« Reply #79 on: February 06, 2019, 02:41:34 PM »

Thanks!  Going well so far.  Today marked a mile stone - I could sort of wipe my ass right handed again!  Range of motion is coming back pretty good.  Next Wednesday I'm cleared to drive again provided I have enough motion/lack of pain to do it safely.  My wife is definitely tired of being my chauffeur!

Offline Cobranut

« Reply #80 on: February 06, 2019, 06:57:40 PM »

Thanks!  Going well so far.  Today marked a mile stone - I could sort of wipe my ass right handed again!  Range of motion is coming back pretty good.  Next Wednesday I'm cleared to drive again provided I have enough motion/lack of pain to do it safely.  My wife is definitely tired of being my chauffeur!

Glad to hear you're improving.  It's a real PITA when you can't wipe your ass. Been there.  :'(
1995 FD, 7.0 Liter stroked LS3, T56, 8.8, Samberg kit.

Offline Supe

« Reply #81 on: February 18, 2019, 08:21:07 AM »
Back in the office today, got the all clear to drive last week!  Nice to be out of the sling, too.

Will post pics when the stuff rolls in.  Big thanks to Pat Norcia at RAM Racing Clutches.  Old motor was 1 piece RMS, the SB2.2 takes the standard 2 piece RMS, so my flywheel wouldn't fit.  Of course, ACE has since redesigned my pressure plate and changed flywheel bolt patterns... aaaand, also happened to have zero of the old flywheels left in stock.  I was up shits creek, until Cale Aaronson of Black Magic clutches put me in touch with Pat.  Shipped off the old stuff, and Pat and RAM machined me a new clutch to fit the ACE pressure plate and clutch discs/floater plates.  Price was very reasonable, too (about 2/3 - 1/2 of what I thought it'd be)!

FINALLY got the intake shipped off for the EFI conversion, too.  I was going to go with Induction Solutions, but opted to go with Kevin Thompson at Hot Rod Solutions instead.  I prefer the ORB fuel rail style vs. the welded fittings that IS uses, and his work is immaculate.  Also < 2 week turnaround time!  Thankfully the only epoxy in the intake is in the SIDES of the runners, not the tops as I originally though, so I can get the injectors placed a bit lower for clearance.  I was worried there for a minute, as the cylinder heads have the ports moved roughly 1/4" using epoxy.  I was a bit amazed at that intake porting, too, especially how they reshaped the "clover" to tweak runner length for distribution.  Those NASCAR boys are clever...

Offline Supe

« Reply #82 on: February 18, 2019, 08:28:54 AM »
Also ordered a 7 degree tie rod reamer to fit the Speedway bump steer adapters.  It's still cheaper than most of the other options, and I like the fact that I can get circle track parts ASAP if I need them.  I did some checking, and there will still be a good bit of meat left in the steering knuckle after reaming.

Offline Supe

« Reply #83 on: February 19, 2019, 07:05:09 AM »
Old (one race) clutch, but shiny new flywheel from Ram.  I forgot how friggin heavy this package is (no more than any other full size twin disc really, but it's still heavy!), but it will take whatever you throw at it, including those clutchless shifts from the T101a.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Offline digitalsolo

• Administrator
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • LS1FC.com
« Reply #84 on: February 19, 2019, 09:00:23 AM »
Niiiiiiiiiice!
Blake MF'ing McBride
1988 Mazda RX7 - Turbo LS1/T56/ProEFI/8.8/Not Slow...   sold.
1965 Mustang Coupe - TT Coyote, TR6060, modern brakes/suspension...  project car
2013 Focus ST3 - Stage 1 BPU

Offline Supe

« Reply #85 on: February 19, 2019, 09:38:05 AM »
I should note that the primary reason I run a twin disc setup like this as opposed to a small diameter road race clutch is that I also run hill climb events.  Several of them have no return road, and you're often stuck doing horrid 5 point turns from downhill to uphill in the paddock.  I'd be burning up clutch discs every year if I went that route. 

The HUGE downside to that pressure plate (their old style) is the reinforcing ribs.  They stick out so far, running a regular slip on style throwout bearing is totally out of the question, because it hits the AN lines.  Consequently, I'm forced to use the McLeod bearing that bolts on in place of the input shaft bearing retainer.  Not only is that thing a HUGE PITA to bleed, but the required master cylinder size makes the pedal grab SUPER high, and with the twin disc, has way too much throw without a very short pedal stop, causing the clutch to reengage from overtravel of the pressure plate fingers (boy did I have fun troubleshooting that one, since it would slam into gear and stall at idle).  I plan on adding one of the RAM hydraulic adjusters this go-around which lets me fine tune the engagement point with an allen key. 

Offline Cobranut

« Reply #86 on: February 19, 2019, 02:08:05 PM »
I should note that the primary reason I run a twin disc setup like this as opposed to a small diameter road race clutch is that I also run hill climb events.  Several of them have no return road, and you're often stuck doing horrid 5 point turns from downhill to uphill in the paddock.  I'd be burning up clutch discs every year if I went that route. 

The HUGE downside to that pressure plate (their old style) is the reinforcing ribs.  They stick out so far, running a regular slip on style throwout bearing is totally out of the question, because it hits the AN lines.  Consequently, I'm forced to use the McLeod bearing that bolts on in place of the input shaft bearing retainer.  Not only is that thing a HUGE PITA to bleed, but the required master cylinder size makes the pedal grab SUPER high, and with the twin disc, has way too much throw without a very short pedal stop, causing the clutch to reengage from overtravel of the pressure plate fingers (boy did I have fun troubleshooting that one, since it would slam into gear and stall at idle).  I plan on adding one of the RAM hydraulic adjusters this go-around which lets me fine tune the engagement point with an allen key.

I've had luck with shortening the master cylinder pushrod to fix over travel.  It also moves the clutch pedal closer to the floor, which I like with a short travel clutch setup.

Offline Supe

« Reply #87 on: February 19, 2019, 02:15:16 PM »

I've had luck with shortening the master cylinder pushrod to fix over travel.  It also moves the clutch pedal closer to the floor, which I like with a short travel clutch setup.

I'm using an adjustable Wilwood pedal assembly to move it as close to the floor as I can, and it's still way too much.  I can go down a size in MC's, but fear that may put the pedal way past center to full disengage.

Offline Cobranut

« Reply #88 on: February 19, 2019, 05:53:09 PM »
It's all about balancing pedal vs T/O bearing travel.
Another advantage to going to a smaller M/C is reduced pedal pressure, less strain on your leg as well as easier on the pedal and linkage.

Offline Supe

« Reply #89 on: February 20, 2019, 06:33:05 AM »
It's all about balancing pedal vs T/O bearing travel.
Another advantage to going to a smaller M/C is reduced pedal pressure, less strain on your leg as well as easier on the pedal and linkage.

Yep.  The other stink is that it's a 3/4 bore, so I'd have to go down a full 1/8" (based on MC availability that will fit) as opposed to going down only a 1/16", which I think would be the magic number.  The pedal effort is pretty manageable, and I only use it (for now) on downshifts anyways.