January 17, 2019, 10:44:54 PM

Author Topic: Supe's NASCARX-7 (SB2.2 swap)  (Read 2988 times)

Offline Supe

Re: Supe's NASCARX-7 (SB2.2 swap)
« Reply #60 on: December 06, 2018, 02:19:16 PM »
Unfortunately, that's another $1K+, and still doesn't really help since I would still need a lift pump for the surge tank and for priming.  I'll probably just pick up the pump, see what the mounting situation looks like, and hope that the pulley alignment is close enough to the balancer that I can get away with a new drive mandrel and crank pulleys only while keeping the LWP setup.

Offline freeskier7791

« Reply #61 on: December 07, 2018, 10:05:51 PM »
Check if DC power engineering makes a alternator for you.  Also could you run a driveshaft mounted alternator?

Offline Supe

« Reply #62 on: December 07, 2018, 11:50:30 PM »
Check if DC power engineering makes a alternator for you.  Also could you run a driveshaft mounted alternator?

Thanks, I'll check that out.

No way to run a driveshaft mounted alternator.  No room on either end.  As it is, if I want to run traction control, I will have to attach the collar on the trans slip yoke because its so tight at the rear subframe.  The 1350 series u-joints don't help.

Offline freeskier7791

« Reply #63 on: December 08, 2018, 08:41:05 PM »
I thought that space would be an issue, hopefully the DC power one works out

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Offline Supe

« Reply #64 on: January 01, 2019, 04:45:24 PM »
And the thrilling conclusion of the slowest header build ever.  This thing was a mother to fit and still leave room for the starter and wiring harness.  Still needs v-bands, O2 bung, and ceramic coat.

Next up, need to pull motor and subframe to send off the intake for the EFI conversion, and to get the subframe deburred, cleaned up, and painted.

Offline sonicgroove

« Reply #65 on: January 01, 2019, 04:58:44 PM »
All those measurements, slices, tacks, double, triple, and quadruple fitment checks before the final weld is done and hoping nothing warps out of place will be worth it in the end. Although its a huge pita, its got to be nice knowing you can build your own header. GJ, man. When I built my custom exhaust on my FC it was tough but rewarding at the end. I just wish I had a lift with plenty of underhoist stands. It would have made the job easier and my piping more linear. Do you plan to add flex pipes?

-groovin
1987 MAZDA RX-7 LS1 T56 | 1995 MAZDA RX-7 ST PORT BOLT-ON'S ADAPTRONIC PNP | 1994 MAZDA RX-7 TSP 416 LS3 T56 MAGNUM E40 ECM

Offline Supe

« Reply #66 on: January 01, 2019, 05:05:42 PM »
I have two short flex joints in the existing exhaust since it's rigid mounted from about the driver's seat back.  I don't have the time (or $$$) to order some large diameter oval tubing and fab a new exhaust from scratch, so the plan is to basically cut just forward of the flex pipes and splice into the existing exhaust from when the first gen SBC was in there. 

Offline freeskier7791

Re: Supe's Engine Swap Thread
« Reply #67 on: January 08, 2019, 02:45:39 PM »
Cool tool you made!  I struggle to make straight cuts, but I am using a grinder and hacksaw...need to invest in a bandsaw lol

I don't have enough room for a floor stander, so I bought the SWAG portaband stand and use one of the Bauer portabands from Harbor Freight ($99 with coupon).  It is one of the few tools in my garage I really kicked myself for not buying sooner.

I just bought one with a giftcard and coupon, love it!! Thanks for the tip.  I just have to build me a stand now, I'm not paying for the swag piece

Offline Supe

« Reply #68 on: January 08, 2019, 03:02:38 PM »
I contemplate the aggravation and said screw it.  Goes together in a few seconds, it's robust, and it's drilled correctly!  I also ordered the miter gauge with it, so that made it sort of a no brainer.

For what its worth, I fab'd up both headers including merge cones, etc. all using a single Bauer blade with no issue.  The only time I had problems with the setup at all was when I was doing something dumb (bound up the blade), or when a teeny piece made its way into the blade channel and bound it up.  Just had to pop it right back on and was good to go again.

One of the two headers now has a V-band flange on it and O2 bung.  I was going to do the other side, but I need to add about 1" to the collector so the clamp will clear the floor board on the driver's side.  Of course, I ordered the wrong size tubing, so now I have to wait on a fresh parts delivery from Speedway.

Offline sonicgroove

« Reply #69 on: January 08, 2019, 03:57:48 PM »
Waiting on parts is the worse especially if you're on a roll. I'm waiting on one myself.

-groovin
1987 MAZDA RX-7 LS1 T56 | 1995 MAZDA RX-7 ST PORT BOLT-ON'S ADAPTRONIC PNP | 1994 MAZDA RX-7 TSP 416 LS3 T56 MAGNUM E40 ECM

Offline freeskier7791

« Reply #70 on: January 10, 2019, 08:39:36 AM »
I contemplate the aggravation and said screw it.  Goes together in a few seconds, it's robust, and it's drilled correctly!  I also ordered the miter gauge with it, so that made it sort of a no brainer.

For what its worth, I fab'd up both headers including merge cones, etc. all using a single Bauer blade with no issue.  The only time I had problems with the setup at all was when I was doing something dumb (bound up the blade), or when a teeny piece made its way into the blade channel and bound it up.  Just had to pop it right back on and was good to go again.

One of the two headers now has a V-band flange on it and O2 bung.  I was going to do the other side, but I need to add about 1" to the collector so the clamp will clear the floor board on the driver's side.  Of course, I ordered the wrong size tubing, so now I have to wait on a fresh parts delivery from Speedway.

Cool!  I bought the Milwaukee blades cause they were cheaper.  I didn't know they had a miter gauge, that is super useful too.  Did you look locally for tubing?  I know Kooks sells scrap by the pound and I believe race city steel or stock car steel has stainless as well.  I miss living in Mooresville, waiting on some parts for the Camaro I'm working on now

Offline Supe

« Reply #71 on: January 10, 2019, 09:48:26 AM »

Cool!  I bought the Milwaukee blades cause they were cheaper.  I didn't know they had a miter gauge, that is super useful too.  Did you look locally for tubing?  I know Kooks sells scrap by the pound and I believe race city steel or stock car steel has stainless as well.  I miss living in Mooresville, waiting on some parts for the Camaro I'm working on now

I use Race City steel all the time, but for 3 1/2" exhaust tubing, it was still faster to order than to wait until the weekend to drive from the SC border all the way up to Denver.  I had no idea Kooks was in Statesville.  I'm still getting used to how many companies are around here - just found out BMRS is in Concord when I was looking for dry sump hose/fittings!

Offline Supe

« Reply #72 on: January 13, 2019, 03:48:12 PM »
Well, Pinto tie rod adapters are way too big for an FC.  You can't even fit the stud through the hole, never mind the taper.  Need an alternate solution unless I want to fork over $80 for a 7 degree reamer, and even then, I'm not sure how much meat will be left in the spindle.