January 17, 2019, 10:19:14 PM

Author Topic: Supe's NASCARX-7 (SB2.2 swap)  (Read 2986 times)

Offline Supe

Supe's NASCARX-7 (SB2.2 swap)
« on: June 27, 2018, 08:06:40 PM »
I know some folks have seen occasional shots of my car.  I'm the world's worst person when it comes to taking pictures, so I'm going to try to do better, since things are a bit more unique this time around in the engine department.

So here's the bulk of what the car was:

V1 - 383 carb'd SBC, JEEP swap headers, T5 Trans, bad T2 diff (as-bought)

V2 - 383 SBC with Holley EFI, T5 Trans, bad T2 diff, COT wing, snow shovel splitter, Koni coilovers, stock T2 brakes

V3 - 383 SBC w/Holley EFI, T101a 4 dog box trans, Ronin 8.8 IRS, COT/Singular wing, Wilwoods all around from Revolution Brake, Wilwood pedal assembly, Sweet steering column, extensive cage, ATL cell, tube front end, fiberglass door skins, fiberglass sunroof panel, glass nose, radiator airbox, blah blah blah blah blah

The important thing in all of that, is that the 383 was a piece of shit. 

V1
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

V2
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

V3
[ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ]
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 01:00:42 PM by Supe »

Offline Supe

Re: Supe's Engine Swap Thread
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2018, 08:19:27 PM »
So what was so bad about the engine?

Well, it was built by the guy who built the rest of the car, which when I bought it, had...

1) Broken toe links
2) Two burned up Holley blue pumps
3) Carb that was 4 jet sizes too rich
4) Non functioning headlights
5) Ignition that would not turn off if you didn't flip the headlight switch off.
6) Ghetto ass "race" seats that hit the headliner at full height
7) Blown T2 diff
8) A random, never used shitty NOS plate system
9) Bad ABS pump
10) EVERY CONCEIVABLE PART OF THE CAR BAD

The ONE thing I hadn't changed all these years... the motor.

Well a few sessions at Carolina Motorsports Park solidified that.  First clue - wouldn't rev, acting like its on the limiter.  First at 6200, then 6000, then 5800...  Thought it was a tune/fuel problem, fat, fouling plugs.  Turns out that, a) his solid rollers weren't so solid, b) the deck height was never checked, and was short on the passenger side, c) he used 2.08 intake valves on a 2.02 piston relief...

End result:

1) Super looking pushrods.  2) Lifters missing... parts.  3) Valve to piston contact in 5 of 8 holes, including all even cylinders. 4) Rockers that were punted back into the stud girdles upon said piston to valve contact. 5) Mangled oil pump driver and loss of oil pressure (you'll have to take my word on that one.)

Offline Supe

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2018, 08:24:15 PM »
Now, I'm not an LS guy.  I like things simple.  Good old fashioned SBC guy.  Already have engine cradle, already have nice Granny's big tube headers, etc. etc.

So, naturally, I said f*ck this sh*t, I'm done playing around. 

Aaaaand, this guy should be showing up next week.  SB2.2 built by RCR.  External wet sump oiling, being converted to EFI.  Need to upgrade fuel system, make everything fit, and I've got until mid September to finish.  This includes the manifold machining/welding, oil pan modification to fit my chassis, and a bevy of custom parts including a flywheel needed to adapt my ACE Powerforce twin disc clutch setup.

Offline freeskier7791

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2018, 09:35:19 PM »
Wait where do you live?  I live like 15 mins from RCR.  Also gotta love running stock 2 piece pushrods with a stud girdle and solid lifters.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Offline jwvand02

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2018, 10:06:26 PM »
What fenders and front splitter are you running in the last pics? I really dig the functional, not a show car ethos you've got going

Offline Cobranut

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2018, 10:15:12 PM »
So GM's version of the Cleveland head.   :poke:
1995 FD, 7.0 Liter stroked LS3, T56, 8.8, Samberg kit.

Offline v8what?!

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2018, 01:44:16 AM »
I agree, this look is darn manly.  Function over form.  Wait, does it function?  Cause I kinda like the form no matter. 

Offline Supe

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2018, 08:35:17 AM »
Wait where do you live?  I live like 15 mins from RCR.  Also gotta love running stock 2 piece pushrods with a stud girdle and solid lifters.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I'm in Charlotte.  This is an older RCR build.

Cobranut - doesn't say Ford on the valve covers, so I'm covered!  I don't discriminate though, as long as its not a rotary...

JWV: The splitter is a modified COT splitter that I'll be replacing with something a bit bigger down the road.  That was basically a test case to see how bad the front/rear balance was.  Rear wing needs moved way back for leverage.  The entire nose is a one piece custom deal derived from a E production piece that is spaced out and vented for wheel well airflow.

I only run SCCA TT and hillclimb events, so I couldn't give two shits about what it looks like!  For next spring, the car will be flat bottomed and have a rear diffuser.  I'll be using .040 aluminum and angle as a test pilot for performance and temperatures before switching to composite.  The side skirts will also be different.

Offline freeskier7791

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2018, 08:57:49 AM »
Cool, I have always liked to hear your opinion on things, and the car looks great.  I used to live in Mooresville, are there any hillclimb events in NC? 

Offline Supe

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2018, 09:26:47 AM »
Cool, I have always liked to hear your opinion on things, and the car looks great.  I used to live in Mooresville, are there any hillclimb events in NC?

SCCA and SVRA both have hillclimb events (same hill) in Robbinsville, NC every year, just off the Tail of the Dragon.

Offline largeorangefont

• Top Fuel
  • I steer with the gas pedal.
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2018, 10:48:35 AM »
It lives! I have been hounding this guy for YEARS for pictures of this thing!
Quote from: cool
Sell it to spacevomit.  He'll finish it.

Offline Supe

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2018, 12:22:09 PM »

Well, it lived for < 1 weekend as V3 before the motor grenaded.

Offline AKINA FC

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2018, 10:28:05 AM »

No kidding! He better wear that camera out now that he's made a official post.  :cheers:
[smg id=6531]

Offline Supe

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2018, 01:49:05 PM »
Nothing new to report.  Engine made its way to the garage yesterday.  Step one will be pulling the intake to send off to Induction Solutions for the EFI conversion.  I also need to drop the oil pan - it appears it has several broken studs, and I need to figure out what I will need to do for surgery on the pan to make it fit with a Granny's cradle (kickout on the pan won't clear passenger's side motor mount) and clear the rack.  I was going to use a pan from Champ, until I realized that the GM SB2 block does not have dipstick provisions, so a standard pan rail won't seal due to the dipstick kickout.  I may still have to go that option, but would need to weld a piece into the dipstick kickout.  The current pan is a nice Moroso aluminum pan with the external wet sump conversion already plumbed and has a nice billet rail, so I'll make it work if I can.

Offline freeskier7791

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2018, 04:55:55 PM »
Nothing new to report.  Engine made its way to the garage yesterday.  Step one will be pulling the intake to send off to Induction Solutions for the EFI conversion.  I also need to drop the oil pan - it appears it has several broken studs, and I need to figure out what I will need to do for surgery on the pan to make it fit with a Granny's cradle (kickout on the pan won't clear passenger's side motor mount) and clear the rack.  I was going to use a pan from Champ, until I realized that the GM SB2 block does not have dipstick provisions, so a standard pan rail won't seal due to the dipstick kickout.  I may still have to go that option, but would need to weld a piece into the dipstick kickout.  The current pan is a nice Moroso aluminum pan with the external wet sump conversion already plumbed and has a nice billet rail, so I'll make it work if I can.

Have you talked to champ?  they may be able to make you a pan without a dipstick kickout.  It seems like on a lot of their pans that is available just not advertised.  I like the champ pan I have