December 11, 2018, 03:04:25 PM

Author Topic: FC "Mandeville" Big Brake Kit  (Read 19040 times)

Online MPbdy

Re: FC "Mandeville" Big Brake Kit - group buy
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2010, 03:06:44 AM »
Wish there was such a nice solution for the fd.

Offline V8-rx7

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2010, 01:25:39 AM »
There will be one soon enough.
86 RX7 Under reconstruction Twin Turbo LS1/T56 8.8 IRS  
93 RX7 MB Touring Stock Rotary with some bolt ons

Offline frijolee

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2010, 11:18:10 AM »
There will be one soon enough.
   :D
LS2 stroker FC, Mandeville big brakes, widebody, etc
Build thread:  http://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=1274.0
www.roninspeedworks.com

LargeOrangeFont says: "Joel is right, and I love Joel. But his car sounds like the wrath of God."   ;)

Offline nemesis

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2010, 02:55:51 PM »
What's the status on these? I've been dreaming of big brakes for my FC for years. I'm in when they are available.
1990 RX-7 GTu Blk/Blk (LS6/T56)
2015 RAM 2500 Megacab
Austin, TX

VOTA Racing
Structural Integrity Tester

Offline frijolee

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2010, 03:23:15 AM »
Parts are built...  We'll take names for the list but we haven't been pushing these since we agree that we want to have business formalities 100% squared away before we can ship brake parts.  Good news is that we just got confirmation of LLC status and that was the major milestone needed so we could go for the business license and insurance.   

If you want them sooner rather than later it takes signing a pretty hefty waiver but we could make it happen.  Shoot me a PM if you want details.

-Joel
www.roninspeedworks.com

LargeOrangeFont says: "Joel is right, and I love Joel. But his car sounds like the wrath of God."   ;)

Offline jkrueger

« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2010, 11:27:56 PM »
When you get ready to sell these I will buy a set.  We are getting ready to do some engine mods to our FC that we race in the One Lap of America race and would very much like better stopping power.

Any chance of getting a set before Feb 2011 so we could test them before the race in May?

JC

Offline burtoncr

« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2010, 09:57:45 AM »
Serious business guys. I need something to reinvigorate my interest in the FD. Whens the brake kit coming out?

Offline frijolee

« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2010, 12:36:58 PM »
JC,
Good chatting on email.  Pardon me for missing this. 

burton,
I'm planing to do most of the FD development over the Christmas holidays.  I already have the parts for mockup but most of our R&D focus recently has been on the FD fenders and RE-amemiya wing.
www.roninspeedworks.com

maczpayne

« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2010, 04:01:30 PM »
I was one of the guinea pigs during the testing of this setup :)

It is by far the best investment I have made to my car - I grinned ear to ear at the last track event I went to (even though I had an unrelated accident).

The kit is on the new car, and it is my daily driver / fun toy.  I do bi-weekly inspections now and everything's been perfect.  Got an auto-x after thanksgiving next week: new stickies, can't wait to abuse them again! 

Offline jparker7

« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2010, 10:14:24 PM »
whats the word on these.  How much are the brembo rotors and what pads do you all run. 

Offline frijolee

« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2010, 02:12:48 AM »
whats the word on these.  How much are the brembo rotors and what pads do you all run.

We've got parts standing by however folks still get to a sign a waiver for now.   Shoot me a PM if you need more info.  You need +1" of clearance to your spokes.

Rotors for the 350z are ~$100 a pair for a basic setup.  $150 gets you slotted zinc plated version.  Haven't priced out Brembos.

Pads fit the OEM Mazda calipers.  Personally the best I've tried are Carbotech XP8s but they didn't last very long at full clip so I may try something else next time.
www.roninspeedworks.com

Offline DeaconBlue

« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2010, 08:12:51 PM »
Group buy or not - I am not waiting any longer.  I just signed the waiver and ordered my FC Mandeville front upgrade kit   :D

Thanks Joel!

Offline jkrueger

« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2010, 09:31:30 PM »
I'm going to get one too as soon as I save up some $$$.  I just spent $1000 on engine upgrades (cam, rockers, TB....)

I do have one question, Joel.   You said you need an inch of space on rims to clear the new set up.   I looked up the specs on the new rotors and they are only offset 5/8" more towards outboard compared to the rx-7's.  I have just an inch now so I was wondering how much clearance I would have?????

JC

Offline largeorangefont

• Top Fuel
  • I steer with the gas pedal.
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2010, 10:02:58 PM »
JC,

It is the spoke profile that can get you. If you have inboard swept spokes on your rims, or deep set lips, the caliper could come in contact with the spokes, even if it is fine now with your current wheels. This will be really easy to look at and figure out if your wheels will clear or not. You could even make a template out of a piece of cardboard to simulate your caliper being mounted an inch further from the center of the wheel.
Quote from: cool
Sell it to spacevomit.  He'll finish it.

Offline frijolee

« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2010, 11:41:42 AM »
A template has been on my to do list for far too long.  Problem is that my to dos make for a pretty long list and work is crazy these days.

The inboard face of the 350z rotor is about 5/8" more toward the spokes.  However the rotor is also 8 mm thicker so the outboard face of the caliper moves more.  The last smidge in the 1" I require is just allowance for clearance.  The proper measurement is 1" clear moved ~1" radially (which should account for spoke curvature).
www.roninspeedworks.com