September 17, 2019, 11:08:23 AM

Author Topic: Ronin RX-LS Swap Headers!  (Read 9547 times)

Offline frijolee

Re: Ronin RX-LS Swap Headers!
« Reply #60 on: February 14, 2019, 02:15:12 PM »
Are you planning one set for all three chassis? The pics look like an FC.

I'm curious how much ground clearance there will be.

That's the goal.  We're doing a layout with an eye towards right hand drive guys as well.  FC chassis was the first at hand.  The goal on ground clearance is to be not quite kissing the floorboards.  I'm playing with clocking the bundle to get it as tight as we can.
LS2 stroker FC, Mandeville big brakes, widebody, etc
Build thread:  http://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=1274.0
www.roninspeedworks.com

LargeOrangeFont says: "Joel is right, and I love Joel. But his car sounds like the wrath of God."   ;)

Offline Exidous

« Reply #61 on: February 14, 2019, 08:30:51 PM »
Well now you're getting me all excited...damn it!
94 BB SBE LS1 Full Mamo top, MS3ProU with TC, RONIN 8.8 and another custom dual 2.5" stainless exhaust. Too loud, need bigger muffler....

Offline sonicgroove

« Reply #62 on: February 16, 2019, 10:37:35 PM »
I've been searching for 1 7/8" jtrs. Found a pair of 1 3/4" but haven't heard from the seller yet. If I dont hear anything from him before these are complete, or we otherwise, you can add me to the list. I would be wrapping them if that matters at all.

-groovin
1987 MAZDA RX-7 LS1 T56 | 1995 MAZDA RX-7 ST PORT BOLT-ON'S ADAPTRONIC PNP | 1994 MAZDA RX-7 TSP 416 LS3 T56 MAGNUM E40 ECM

Offline frijolee

« Reply #63 on: February 19, 2019, 03:39:24 AM »
I've been searching for 1 7/8" jtrs. Found a pair of 1 3/4" but haven't heard from the seller yet. If I dont hear anything from him before these are complete, or we otherwise, you can add me to the list. I would be wrapping them if that matters at all.

-groovin

Roger that.  I've never lived somewhere with weather gnarly enough to have headers fail from wrapping.  I kinds suspect wrapping is a bigger deal if you're doing the cut and weld approach as opposed to mandrel bends.  It sure does cut down the engine bay heat though...
www.roninspeedworks.com

LargeOrangeFont says: "Joel is right, and I love Joel. But his car sounds like the wrath of God."   ;)

Offline sonicgroove

« Reply #64 on: February 21, 2019, 02:16:33 AM »
To my surprise this winter has been showing us more moisture compared to the past few years. If I wasn't so sick I'd be snowboarding at every opportunity. What a great season this is... =(

I agree that we don't see enough moisture for wrapping to be too much of a concern.

Really looking forward to seeing these completed and having a pair for myself.

-groovin
1987 MAZDA RX-7 LS1 T56 | 1995 MAZDA RX-7 ST PORT BOLT-ON'S ADAPTRONIC PNP | 1994 MAZDA RX-7 TSP 416 LS3 T56 MAGNUM E40 ECM

Offline Stubbs

« Reply #65 on: February 23, 2019, 09:00:11 PM »
Looks really good, still planning on RX8 fitment?  I'm ready to toss my borla shorties in the trash.

Offline sonicgroove

« Reply #66 on: March 10, 2019, 07:21:03 PM »
My previous post mentioned about me waiting on an exchange but that situation amounted to nothing. As an update I'd like to make my position clear and officially request to be part of this endeavor. I agree to all terms and would be happy to provide Ronin and the community with details regarding the craftsmanship of the prototype, the installation process, and my final thoughts. If there is anything you need please feel free to PM me. I can also send you an email with a formal request if that method of communication is preferred. I appreciate your consideration of me as a possible prototype tester. I really look forward to its production and own (as a prototype tester or as a regular consumer) what I believe to be the future standard of long tube headers for LSX swapped FDs/FCs.

On a side note, would it be possible to make custom requests like welding extra o2 bungs or EGT bungs? If so would you happen to have an idea of costs for such a request?

-groovin

Offline bz7

« Reply #67 on: March 11, 2019, 06:24:55 PM »
What's the latest on pricing for these? Thanks!

Offline Track_FC

« Reply #68 on: May 16, 2019, 05:11:34 PM »
Are these still in development? Definitely interested whenever they get released but if it's going to be a long time I might go JTR or something else.

Offline frijolee

« Reply #69 on: May 16, 2019, 07:28:48 PM »
Status...

The longer grip we needed finally came in.  We also figured out an issue believed to be the machine's power supply that was affecting the clamp die (reminder this bender is fairly new at the shop we're partnering with)...

Updated CAD's been completed based on prior fit.  I just released cad for laser cutting so we can be sure our clocking when assembled is how I have it drawn.  Worst case we may need one more revision before we're ready for release.

We're definitely still pushing on it. 

Pricing?

Goal is to make this cost competitive enough with existing products to encourage some folks to upgrade.  JTR and Spoolin pretty much set the market so those are our comps.  More detail than that and we need to see where the production costs land.

Regards,
Joel
www.roninspeedworks.com

Offline sonicgroove

« Reply #70 on: May 19, 2019, 07:19:42 PM »
Thanks for the update. Patiently waiting and looking forward to its release.

-groovin

Offline frijolee

« Reply #71 on: July 22, 2019, 01:57:14 AM »
Header first articles done.   :yay:

How many changes can you spot?

Driver (prototype top, first article bottom)

Passenger (prototype bottom, first article top)

Merge for those curious:

We're happy with the fit on the FC test car.  Working on lining up a local FD to be sure on those.  We have a lead on a car (actually a 2nd car as this took a bit too long for our first choice).  If you happen to have one in the vicinity of Chatsworth CA, please give us a holler at roninspeedworks@gmail.com.

-Joel Payne
(for RSW)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 02:52:56 AM by frijolee »
www.roninspeedworks.com

Offline jwvand02

« Reply #72 on: July 22, 2019, 10:55:41 AM »
I am so extremely in for being one of the guinea pigs for these.

Offline Exidous

« Reply #73 on: July 22, 2019, 07:25:06 PM »
Hopefully the car you test on has F-body A/C. A couple options over the years were too close for comfort.
94 BB SBE LS1 Full Mamo top, MS3ProU with TC, RONIN 8.8 and another custom dual 2.5" stainless exhaust. Too loud, need bigger muffler....

Offline frijolee

« Reply #74 on: July 23, 2019, 03:25:04 AM »
I am so extremely in for being one of the guinea pigs for these.

Where are you located?  We're hoping to get together with the test car identified this weekend but fall backs never hurt.

So now lets get down to it...  Not to overstate it but I'm really happy at how these worked out.  Check out the tubes landing dead square to maximize the ground clearance!  Add in a Ronin trans mount and this should make for the easiest exhaust run ever.

This brings us to an interesting point.  In order to make this works we've made one intentional compromise we want to tip folks off on. 

Fitting a bundle of 4x 1.875" primaries is a bit of challenge on the driver side where the RX7 didn't have clearance for an exhaust.  We're already within about 3/8"-1/2" of the transmission and if I tuck it any tighter against the trans we'd be giving up some on the bitching placement of the merge.  We clear the firewall well (something I never understood why others didn't), so we think it makes sense to ask folks to massage the inside corner of their floorboards.  It's really only a few bumps down the edge of the tunnel that get dented in.  Staying outboard means the auto guys might have a chance, but that's TBD and we have an alternate idea for auto guys regardless. 

This is the location on an FC:

Brass tacks:  If this was my car, this would be the configuration I'd want (always a good measure of standard we hold ourselves to).  Dragging expensive parts on speed bumps sucks. 

We'll post back with how much it needs (if any) on an FD.

This is the only area where we made a compromise to fight for fit.  Case in point: clearance vs. the steering rack is bang on.

Looking at the power bulge on the firewall we think these should work for RHD as well (we tried anyways).  This was one of the changes from the prototype by the way: tucking primaries 4, 6, 8 closer to the block.

Hopefully the car you test on has F-body A/C. A couple options over the years were too close for comfort.

Does the above pic answer that for ya?  Technically a GTO compressor but same belt spacing.  :yay:
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 04:00:54 AM by frijolee »
www.roninspeedworks.com