October 21, 2018, 02:24:14 PM

Author Topic: Ronin RX-LS Swap Headers!  (Read 3188 times)

Offline frijolee

Re: Ronin RX-LS Swap Headers!
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2018, 09:56:45 PM »
Could you make a set with 2" primaries that increase to 2 1/8" with 3.5" collectors based upon your piping CAD design?

It's not very likely unless you want to spend $28,000 in dies.  Screws up the spacing where tubes run together as well so it'd be quite a  bit of CAD work.  For one off things like that, cut and splice is still probably the way to go.
LS2 stroker FC, Mandeville big brakes, widebody, etc
Build thread:  http://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=1274.0
www.roninspeedworks.com

LargeOrangeFont says: "Joel is right, and I love Joel. But his car sounds like the wrath of God."   ;)

Offline SLACer

• Supporting Member
  • In The Bleach Box
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2018, 11:23:11 PM »
Who'd like to be on the list for the first ones?

1)
2)
3)

Yes! Put me down for a set

Offline Exidous

« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2018, 03:54:00 AM »
I'll be on board for a set but not until Novemberish.
94 BB SBE LS1 Full Mamo top, MS3ProU with TC, RONIN 8.8 and another custom dual 2.5" stainless exhaust. Too loud, need bigger muffler....

Offline frijolee

« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2018, 02:28:24 PM »
I have some good news.  The fab shop we have a long standing partnership with is using the Ronin header project as a reason to upgrade their entire mandrel bender.  The new version will be full CNC, including clocking (which solves the issue we were running into above).  It's a huge investment but is going to take their bending capabilities through the roof.  The owner is stoked.  I'm stoked.  And you guys should be stoked too!

Mandrel bending is damn cool to watch.  The one they had was already bigger than most cars.  The new machine is supposed just be a monster.  As point of reference, the new machine is electric instead of hydraulic which avoids variations in flow rates and improves consistency.  It has a 40 hp motor for the bend head, another 20 hp motor driving tube, and a 3rd 20 hp motor for clamp dies.  It takes 200 amps of 480V three phase just to run!   :cheers: 

It also comes with quite a bit of tooling.  No idea how it'll time out but @gnx7, this might reopen our ability to make custom variations.  It would still have to be a healthy upcharge to cover the time, but I imagine should a good bit less than the $3k that full custom long tubes tend to run.  No promises, as I know I'm getting ahead of myself, but needless to say it's good news.

Best yet, the tolerances this new machine is capable of are blowing my mind, I can already tell we're going to need a Y-pipe design to match, so folks can run the catback of their choice.

It all should be setup and running sometime mid next month.

Regards,
-Joel (for RSW)
www.roninspeedworks.com

LargeOrangeFont says: "Joel is right, and I love Joel. But his car sounds like the wrath of God."   ;)

Offline Exidous

« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2018, 05:08:47 AM »
3" merge to 3.5" as close to the driveshaft as possible please and thank you.
94 BB SBE LS1 Full Mamo top, MS3ProU with TC, RONIN 8.8 and another custom dual 2.5" stainless exhaust. Too loud, need bigger muffler....

Online digitalsolo

• Administrator
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • LS1FC.com
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2018, 09:28:46 AM »
Damnit, I wanna see some pictures, or I'm gonna have to start banning people.  :D
Blake MF'ing McBride
1988 Mazda RX7 - Turbo LS1/T56/ProEFI/8.8/Not Slow...   sold.
1965 Mustang Coupe - TT Coyote, TR6060, modern brakes/suspension...  project car
2013 Focus ST3 - Stage 1 BPU

Online wickedrx7

« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2018, 09:33:49 AM »
Damnit, I wanna see some pictures, or I'm gonna have to start banning people.  :D

I agree with this statement!

1993 Touring, 2012 L99, T-56, Ronnin 8.8, Ohlins, Speedhut, Samberg and lots of custom parts
Build Thread - http://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=19354.0
Pictures - www.flikr.com/wickedrx7

Offline Exidous

« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2018, 03:56:39 PM »
I third this motion!

Offline celer

« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2018, 01:02:01 PM »
Any updates? I'm interested as well, I have a 93 FD / LM4 / T56 Magnum, fully caged race car which I was trying to keep the power down on for endurance racing, but now I wanna go play around in time trails. I have been using stock manifolds with v-bands welded ....

Thanks!

Offline SLACer

• Supporting Member
  • In The Bleach Box
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2018, 10:09:06 AM »
Yes, I'd would like to know when they might be available too.

Offline celer

« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2018, 01:54:20 PM »
Oh man, I already committed to a Sikky Manufacturing mid-length setup that required a bit of "persuasion" on the passenger side to clear the subframe  :'(

Did you modify the exhaust or subframe to make it fit? Do you have any pictures?  Did it require cutting the tubing on the subframe or the plate?

Offline Exidous

« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2018, 10:16:43 AM »
I had to modify the subframes for the sikky mid-length. I suppose I could have modified the headers but really didn't want to. Sliced almost down to the bushing. Still a ton of meat on the frame though.

I just want to swap them out because of the loss of low end torque and thin 18ga bell sounding metal.

Offline SLACer

• Supporting Member
  • In The Bleach Box
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2018, 01:33:09 PM »
I'm pretty much at a holding point until I put headers in to see where I need to route my exhaust piping. let me know when you get closer. I excited for the new headers

Offline frijolee

« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2018, 07:06:03 PM »
Update:  On Friday our fab shop took delivery of the new bender...   Setup will be happening this week.  I'm heading up next weekend to spend a day and see if we can get prototypes done.

This bender is a monster!

And since folks asked for pics, here's the final CAD design we're working to (flanges not shown)...

Mostly a teaser, but it is a scratch design that's exclusively Ronin's.  Really hoping I have real pics for you in a week and half.
www.roninspeedworks.com

Offline paul_3rdgen

• Supporting Member
  • Launching!
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2018, 10:16:46 PM »
Looking forward to seeing the prototype!  Iím definitely buying a set!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
93 RX7 R1 500rwhp
LS2, H/C combo... ARE drysump
Race Logic traction Control and 4 wheel Stoptech BBK
3.73 gears installed in the stock diff  :o