December 13, 2018, 01:42:09 AM

Author Topic: Ronin RX-LS Swap Headers!  (Read 3512 times)

Offline 65imp

Ronin RX-LS Swap Headers!
« on: February 14, 2018, 01:26:57 AM »
Coming Soon:

Ronin RX-LS swap headers...  We're finally launching the long tube headers we've always wanted ourselves.  This has been in the works for quite some time now, but we're close enough that we wanted to share the details and start putting together a list of interested folks.  As per our usual we're planning to offer hook-ups to those who jump in first and are willing to give us feedback.

Basics:
-All stainless long tube headers.  We're not even bothering with mild.
-Made in the USA (Yes even the tubing.  This is both because America F-yeah and because we found it bends nicer than the imported stuff)
-Only one configuration planned for now
-1 7/8" mandrel bent primaries
-1/2" flanges
-Quasi Merge collectors w/ choke trumpeting back to 3" exit.
-02 bungs (duh)
-V band flanges with interlocking features (male female) 
-Intended to fit FC, FD, and RX8

Note on the quasi-merge collectors.  From a flow perspective these are effectively identical to slip-on merge collectors.  The difference is that we wanted to avoid the slip as it offers potential for leakage which can make tuning a PITA (ask me how I know).  These will use a full merge spike with a deep drawn stamped exterior, that lets us weld the spike first then burn them in all the way around.

Design...  well there aren't infinite options since we have specific length targets in mind and we need to keep these tucked tight.  Expect it to be clean.  Don't expect a bowl of spaghetti.  We will check triple check the spark plug clearances, we promise!  That said, we won't just be copying the existing players on the market either.  We plan to end up a bit longer than JTRs (and the Spooling knock offs) after all who doesn't want an extra inch or two?  This will shift the tuned RPM slightly lower and broaden the sweet spot for HP at the top of the RPM band. 

Joel's headers are the starting point but we have several tweaks planned.

absolute power corrupts absolutely  :yay:
93 FD widebody - destroked
69 Suburban - positive manifold pressure
65 Impala - 5.7
59 cad  - WIP
53 spartan - shed status

Offline 65imp

Re: Ronin RX-LS Swap Headers!
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 01:28:04 AM »
So here's the deal.  Anyone who's familiar with Ronin knows that Mike and I are perfectionists.  We want these to be perfect and if they're not we're going to keep tweaking them until they are.  That's just how we roll.  We already have a test chassis for FC, FD, and RX8 in place, but we're looking for 5 possibly 6 testers covering 1) as broad a spectrum of available mounting kits as we can.  2) RHD vehicles we can test since we want to check that for our international folks.

We're gonna make you a screaming deal to be sure we have our production sorted.  First articles will be kicking off shortly.  Best guess that puts us a couple months out until we're ready to start shipping.  We're going to prioritize folks who can get these into cars first rather than just first-come first-served.  That said, if you're one of the first 5-6 selected we're gonna sell you your headers for $700!  You can't find that deal used, much less in stainless w/ merges.

The rub...  You're going to owe us a write up with pics and details.  Since we've learned the hard way that life happens and not everyone follows through, this will be charged as $1000 with a $300 refund given when you hold up your end.  Best guess shipping should run about $50.

The guarantee.  If you're not satisfied with fitment we'll take them back and put your $700 toward a set of the second batch where in we'll have solved whatever is was you were concerned about.  We're optimistic that we won't need changes given the effort we're putting into to fixtures and verification, but there it is.

Who'd like to be on the list for the first ones?

1)
2)
3)
65 Impala - 5.7
59 cad  - WIP
53 spartan - shed status

Offline 65imp

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 01:28:43 AM »
While we're here, what feedback on existing header options do you have?  What did you like?  What drove you crazy?  We've been around these things for quite some time, but if their are specifics you're looking for now's the time to let your desires be known.
65 Impala - 5.7
59 cad  - WIP
53 spartan - shed status

Offline wickedrx7

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 08:06:49 AM »
Do you have any installed pictures?  How is overall clearance and ground clearance? 

1993 Touring, 2012 L99, T-56, Ronnin 8.8, Ohlins, Speedhut, Samberg and lots of custom parts
Build Thread - http://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=19354.0
Pictures - www.flikr.com/wickedrx7

Offline freeskier7791

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 11:01:37 AM »
Its cool that you guys are gonna start making headers, and I totally agree that longer collector length is better.

Offline largeorangefont

• Top Fuel
  • I steer with the gas pedal.
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2018, 02:53:02 PM »
If you need fitment testing Mike, let me know. I'll need my X pipe modified to make them actually work, but that is no big deal.

If the ground clearance is as good as my Spoolin headers I am in. Also not too close to the floor boards is a good thing too.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 02:58:57 PM by largeorangefont »
Quote from: cool
Sell it to spacevomit.  He'll finish it.

Offline MPbdy

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2018, 03:33:40 PM »
This is a down the road thing, but I plan on engine dynoing my engine next build. I have spoolin merge 1 7/8Ē to benchmark against if you want.

Offline paul_3rdgen

• Supporting Member
  • Launching!
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2018, 07:38:10 PM »
Iíd be down for a set!  I have jtr 1 7/8ís now.  Iíd like to see if thereís power left on the table. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
93 RX7 R1 500rwhp
LS2, H/C combo... ARE drysump
Race Logic traction Control and 4 wheel Stoptech BBK
3.73 gears installed in the stock diff  :o

Offline InevitableFD

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2018, 08:08:35 PM »
PM'd and trying to add my name to that list.

Offline fdrx7

• Pre-Staging
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2018, 09:59:12 PM »
Any possibility of a 2" primary setup for a ls7?

Thanks

Offline Negrok20r

• Pre-Staging
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2018, 11:44:16 PM »
So here's the deal.  Anyone who's familiar with Ronin knows that Mike and I are perfectionists.  We want these to be perfect and if they're not we're going to keep tweaking them until they are.  That's just how we roll.  We already have a test chassis for FC, FD, and RX8 in place, but we're looking for 5 possibly 6 testers covering 1) as broad a spectrum of available mounting kits as we can.  2) RHD vehicles we can test since we want to check that for our international folks.

We're gonna make you a screaming deal to be sure we have our production sorted.  First articles will be kicking off shortly.  Best guess that puts us a couple months out until we're ready to start shipping.  We're going to prioritize folks who can get these into cars first rather than just first-come first-served.  That said, if you're one of the first 5-6 selected we're gonna sell you your headers for $700!  You can't find that deal used, much less in stainless w/ merges.

The rub...  You're going to owe us a write up with pics and details.  Since we've learned the hard way that life happens and not everyone follows through, this will be charged as $1000 with a $300 refund given when you hold up your end.  Best guess shipping should run about $50.

The guarantee.  If you're not satisfied with fitment we'll take them back and put your $700 toward a set of the second batch where in we'll have solved whatever is was you were concerned about.  We're optimistic that we won't need changes given the effort we're putting into to fixtures and verification, but there it is.

Who'd like to be on the list for the first ones?

1)Negrok20r
2)
3)
dc2 k20 turbo
93 FD under construction
" If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over ? "

Offline AMorgan

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2018, 10:29:55 AM »
Iím pretty freaking excited for these.  Iím already collecting Ronin parts for my swap and these will just ice the cake.  I am sad I canít capitalize on this deal, but I canít swap any faster than I already am, hahaha.

Offline MPbdy

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2018, 11:11:03 AM »
Any possibility of a 2" primary setup for a ls7?

Thanks

I'm really skeptical if these will fit, but I'd probably swap my spoolin 1 7/8" for 2" primary for my stroker that I want to spin 7500.

Offline nkuhajda

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2018, 12:20:05 PM »
Oh man, I already committed to a Sikky Manufacturing mid-length setup that required a bit of "persuasion" on the passenger side to clear the subframe  :'(

Offline largeorangefont

• Top Fuel
  • I steer with the gas pedal.
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2018, 12:22:52 PM »
Oh man, I already committed to a Sikky Manufacturing mid-length setup that required a bit of "persuasion" on the passenger side to clear the subframe  :'(

Would longtubes that fit FCs and FDs even work with the Sikky kit?

Quote from: cool
Sell it to spacevomit.  He'll finish it.