November 17, 2019, 05:35:00 AM

Author Topic: Shaving SBF manifold hood fitment  (Read 184 times)

Offline darthmayndawg

Shaving SBF manifold hood fitment
« on: August 28, 2019, 07:56:50 AM »
Can anyone shed some light on history of persons shaving a few inches from an upper intake manifold of say... an sbf...

The Ford kits from Granny's new supposedly are spaced blah blah so the stock FC hoods can cover the motor normally...

Being that I have older used swap mounting from forum members I was wondering if machining down an intake manifold would work? Would it even help the fit (hit the fuel rails?)

Better yet is there a write up on how to shim the kit mounting ?

Thanks in advance and Apologies if I sound stupid

Offline freeskier7791

Re: Shaving SBF manifold hood fitment
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2019, 11:11:22 AM »
I wonder how that would affect engine performance since the runners will be shorter.  I think a T2 scoop would help clearances.  I have a friend that did a 302 in an FC I can ask him
https://www.youtube.com/thedriftingdad
1985 Mazda RX7 GSL Drift Car

CCVT

Offline darthmayndawg

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2019, 12:19:10 PM »
I have a giant hood scoop on my blue FC and it still doesn't fit. The guy I got it from had it carved before.. ITBs would probably fix it but $1000 vs the Cobra intake and theme I'm trying to do. I think it would work obviously change performance better or worse but I'm not sure if the fuel rails will fit.. if they do then I might try it.. the T2 hood my second sbf has wont clear it

Offline freeskier7791

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2019, 12:53:31 PM »
I have a giant hood scoop on my blue FC and it still doesn't fit. The guy I got it from had it carved before.. ITBs would probably fix it but $1000 vs the Cobra intake and theme I'm trying to do. I think it would work obviously change performance better or worse but I'm not sure if the fuel rails will fit.. if they do then I might try it.. the T2 hood my second sbf has wont clear it

he ran a carb intake and put a FiTEch throttle body on.  He said he spaced the subframe down about 1"
https://www.youtube.com/thedriftingdad
1985 Mazda RX7 GSL Drift Car

CCVT

Offline Supe

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2019, 01:28:52 PM »
I'd either cut and weld mounting kit or space the subframe down.  The latter is by far the easiest.

Offline DDv8

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2019, 08:10:31 PM »
Not much down on the mount kit, the pan and oil pump will hit (Ford).  subframe first.  I couldn't get my carbed sbc to fit under a flat hood.  With frame down 3/4" may just have cleared.  I run TII style scoop.

DD
86fc old school 327, T5, converting to 8.8 tbird