March 22, 2019, 08:21:00 PM

Author Topic: Esser's LS3 FD RX-7 R1  (Read 11994 times)

Offline onefastrx7turbo

Re: Esser's LS3 FD RX-7 R1
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2017, 12:21:50 PM »
What a great build thread. I hope to be able to do this to an FD at some point...strip everything down and make it like new or better.  :chug:
2015 Nissan Leaf - DD
2006 Lexus GX470 For offroading
1986 RX7 - L92/T56 in progress
Past rides......
I don't really need them listed in my signature................

Offline Esser

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2017, 03:28:47 PM »
Car came back from the painter looking amazing, the pictures don't do it justice. I started installing all of the brake components when I got it back.

I went ahead and deleted the ABS system, for weight savings and the appearance factor. Not to mention I didn't have any of the sensors and I didn't want to put money into getting the system working. I chose to do the Rotary Shack's hard line abs delete kit, it took some manipulating but ended up fitting great. Installed a new gasket on the Booster and got it fitted up.

Found some nice sized rubber grommets to fit into the holes for the passenger line.

The kit included a Wilwood proportioning valve to control fron to rear bias:

« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 09:03:17 AM by Esser »

Offline wickedrx7

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2017, 03:30:59 PM »
Great looking build and nice start to your build thread!  One piece of advice is to make sure you do a good job insulating your tunnel (you might already be planning this).  I used Lizard skin on the underside with custom aluminum shields on the passenger side to match the drivers.  I know a bunch have guys have used the DEI adhesive backed stuff with good results as well. 

1993 Touring, 2012 L99, T-56, Ronnin 8.8, Ohlins, Speedhut, Samberg and lots of custom parts
Build Thread - http://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=19354.0
Pictures - www.flikr.com/wickedrx7

Offline Esser

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2017, 04:37:20 PM »
Great looking build and nice start to your build thread!  One piece of advice is to make sure you do a good job insulating your tunnel (you might already be planning this).  I used Lizard skin on the underside with custom aluminum shields on the passenger side to match the drivers.  I know a bunch have guys have used the DEI adhesive backed stuff with good results as well.

Thanks, ended up getting a bunch of the DEI adhesive tunnel shield, I did end up keeping the original shield that goes down one side of the tunnel already.

One of these days I may do a full interior removal and lizard skin the inside!

Offline MPbdy

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2017, 07:05:30 PM »
The previous owner of my car used a bunch of tar paper insulation...some kind of budget dynamat.  It can't hold up to the heat.  It is continually melting onto my exhaust and transmission and making a mess of absolutely everything.  The smell is horrible.  It is nearly impossible to remove.  I spent hours with a heat gun and scrapers trying to get it off last time I had my trans out.

An undercoat or fixed heat shield is my recommendation.

You're really making me consider doing some engine bay clean-up myself next time I have my engine out.  Very tempting!  My bay was painted right before I bought my roller but they didn't do a fantastic job by any means...

Offline Esser

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2017, 11:35:44 AM »
The previous owner of my car used a bunch of tar paper insulation...some kind of budget dynamat.  It can't hold up to the heat.  It is continually melting onto my exhaust and transmission and making a mess of absolutely everything.  The smell is horrible.  It is nearly impossible to remove.  I spent hours with a heat gun and scrapers trying to get it off last time I had my trans out.

An undercoat or fixed heat shield is my recommendation.

You're really making me consider doing some engine bay clean-up myself next time I have my engine out.  Very tempting!  My bay was painted right before I bought my roller but they didn't do a fantastic job by any means...

One of my goals fr the project was to get the engine bay "show worthy". Not only does it look good, but it makes working on the car much more enjoyable when things are nice and tidy.

I took some of the advice from Halfspec's build and went with the Toyota Landcruiser master clutch cylinder. It took minor modification to fit, and I did not end up doing any welding. I used the male to male thread pitch adapter and everything looks like it's going to work. The master cylinder itself is cast iron, should be pretty stout if the seals hold up over time.

I installed the lines, and started working on the subframe. I went with a setup from Ronin, and had the subframe powdercoated from them. Install went okay, I did end up having to grind down some welds on the top of the subframe so that it would sit flush to the chassis rails. I used my grinder and took off the bumps of the welds and all is good!

Raised welds here:

Old subframe out and some heat shield installed:

Used some metallic tape to clean up the edges:

Offline Esser

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2017, 11:42:45 AM »
I had seen some reported failures of the samberg subframe camber rings breaking off. This was mainly due to other root causes such as the front camber bolts loosening up and allowing movement. I requested that Ronin beef up mine with some extra welds (Thanks Ronin!) and they provided. They put some extra beads around the perimeter of the ring.

In addition, I etched in some lines on the back faces of the bolt face to help "grab" the metal on the subframe. When this gets tightened down it should help hold the alignment during hard driving/bumps.

Offline Esser

« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2017, 09:06:24 AM »
Steering rack freshened up and installed:

I started working on the fuel system. I had previously emptied the tank, and had no clue of the condition inside. Being a metal tank, the possibility of rust was there, but once I pulled the stock pump I saw that everything was minty fresh!  :)

I installed my new fuel pump: a Walbro 400 lph. Should provide plenty for the LS3 even when I do some bolt-ons and cam and such.

I did decide to go ahead and use all new fuel line instead of re-using the factory mazda hard lines. I got a big box of all my aeromotive items:

I went 6an for everything and put the fpr up front return style. Mounted it right by the master cylinder.

Removed the tiny fuel outlet/inlets on the factory tank cover and replaced with 6an bulkheads:

Wrapped most my fuel lines near the bay in some adhesive backed heat sheild:

Evap canister vented:

Offline Esser

« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2017, 09:08:09 AM »
It was difficult to find a place to mount the huge aeromotive fuel filter, this thing is like the size of a soda can. Should flow excellent. Only spot that would really fit it was the factory filter location above the diff:

Offline VladtheSmiter

« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2017, 09:45:32 AM »
Really nice work so far. If you haven't installed the motor yet I'd suggest rivetting on the DEI heat shield, mine wasn't really sticking super well with the adhesive on its own.

Dig the wheels by the way.
93 RX7 R1:416 LS3 Stroker/T56 530whp/500ftlbs  :drive: <--Wrecked
94 RX7 <--Flooded  :banghead:  >:(
94 RX7: 416ci LS3 Stroker/T56 Magnum/ 3.73 8.8" IRS Widebody <--In progress (KEEPER CAR)
93 RX7: LS1/T56/upgraded stock rear<---SOLD
93 RX7: currently roller (future budget track car)

Offline kinger

« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2017, 12:44:43 PM »
Is your fuel pump inside the OEM plastic surge tank?  I didn't see it in your pictures. 
93 Touring, 6.2L, 415/425 Whp/Wtq, 8.8, samberg everything, AC, PS, TC, Cruise, LED Tails, HID head lights, immaculate interior and paint.

Offline Esser

« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2017, 01:04:38 PM »
Is your fuel pump inside the OEM plastic surge tank?  I didn't see it in your pictures.

Are you referring to the plastic baffle in the tank? This?

The fuel pump sits down in there yes.

Offline Esser

« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2017, 09:56:59 AM »
Trans has arrived! I went with a Stage 4 T56 Magnum. It is a new unit that has been torn down down and had carbon blocker rings installed and bronze fork pads installed. It's rated for 900rwtq! This one also has a Fbody tailhousing installed for ease of install into the FD chassis.

It fit in the trunk of my civic just fine ha!

Clutch also arrived, so I installed it onto the engine. I went with a Mcleod RXT twin disk clutch. It's supposed to hold 1000rwhp and drive like stock. It sure does look pretty tho.

I went with a Fidanza lightweight flywheel. I am eager to see how fast I can get this engine to rev!

Offline wickedrx7

« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2017, 10:13:13 AM »
Pretty stuff right there!  Who did you get the trans from?

1993 Touring, 2012 L99, T-56, Ronnin 8.8, Ohlins, Speedhut, Samberg and lots of custom parts
Build Thread - http://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=19354.0
Pictures - www.flikr.com/wickedrx7

Offline Esser

« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2017, 10:39:57 AM »
Pretty stuff right there!  Who did you get the trans from?

I went with D&D performance. They were having the best deal at the time!

Gotta get this thing in here!
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 10:45:58 AM by Esser »