July 21, 2019, 04:57:58 PM

Author Topic: Widebody wheel and tire recommendations  (Read 3760 times)

Online frijolee

Widebody wheel and tire recommendations
« on: November 05, 2017, 09:24:29 PM »
Ronin FC widebody (duh).

I need new tires.  My Yoko Advan AD08s are getting hard.  I put the car mucho sideways just getting on the on ramp and I swear I barely tipped into it.  Plenty of tread but they're just not up to backing an LS stroker.

Tires have changed a bunch in the past 7 years.  I'm also thinking hard about ditching the square setup and filling out the wheel wells properly.  Now it might be a day walking around looking at stanced rubber, but the lure of the 315/335 still is real.  For extreme preformance summer it looks like RE71R's are the tire to beat, but they only go to up 285s.  What's that weak sauce stuff?  No love for Vette guys who track it?  Right now my leading candidate is the BFG Rival S.  They at least come in the correct sizes.  However, to do it right I'd need new wheels as well.

What do you guys like these days that comes in a 18x11 12 or 13?  Let's cap it at $700 a wheel for the sake of argument (I'm not putting forgelines on a FC).  I looked at the Forgestar F14s, (Gold would look sweet on a white car) but a few guys have had bad track failures.  Seems like there are quite a few more folks making wide wheels these days. 

Where are you guys buying wheels these days?  Tirerack pisses me off in that I can't shop by specs like I do for tires.
LS2 stroker FC, Mandeville big brakes, widebody, etc
Build thread:  http://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=1274.0
www.roninspeedworks.com

LargeOrangeFont says: "Joel is right, and I love Joel. But his car sounds like the wrath of God."   ;)

Offline MPbdy

Re: Widebody wheel and tire recommendations
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2017, 10:23:19 PM »
I have the re71r right now and youíre not missing out on anything. NT01 or R888 probably the only tire Iíll put on mine again. I miss my old R888ís.

Your best bet for super wide JDM wheels will likely be some kind of 3piece that they can cut you custom offsets.

For 1p stuff WEDS has been putting out nice wheels recently.

Online frijolee

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2017, 10:54:05 PM »
I hadn't really thought about NT01's for a street car...  They do have them in 315/30 and 335/30 r18s though.

I like 1 piece wheels for the lack of complexity and weight over 3 piece.  They also tend to have bit more presence since a bolt pattern inside the wheel shrinks the face a lot.  I keep seeing angular gold designs I like.

Not sure who makes these but I dig them.

www.roninspeedworks.com

LargeOrangeFont says: "Joel is right, and I love Joel. But his car sounds like the wrath of God."   ;)

Offline MPbdy

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2017, 10:58:16 PM »
I agree with you on 1p vs 3p thing itíll just be tougher to find in your width and offset.

Offline largeorangefont

• Top Fuel
  • I steer with the gas pedal.
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2017, 12:36:40 AM »
Remember all the newer Vettes with huge tires run 19s or 20s these days. The C5s can run 315s, but it will be a very tall tire, probably too tall.

Forgstars are pretty strong for the weight, Iíd do those, especially if your offset fits in their range for the wheel size. I have them on my CTSV as well. If you drive over curbs for years, all wheels will break, they are considered consumables. Forgestar actually has revised the spoke design of the F14 as well to make the wheel stronger.

Also Forgestar is local, you can pick them up in Anaheim, and buy them from a distributor out of state so you donít have to pay tax. They are made to order, so be prepared to wait a couple months.

There is also the Rota P45 available in 18x12 :) Mike (eage8) runs them on his Autox car.

Your car needs 100 treadwear tires on it Joel, period. You might as well have a 400 HP engine in it otherwise. Iíd also look at R888s or NT01s Anything else is going to suck for traction. If you plan on keeping the car outside any good tire is going to go to crap after 18 months to 2 years, the stuff in the 180 to 200 treadwear range especially. The 100 treadwear stuff will too, but they seem to last longer before heat cycling/weathering out. NT01s are pretty reasonably priced. If you can get an NT01 to fit, do it, do not pass go, just buy rims that will fit the tires. R888s are more expensive but offer more sizes. They also get loud when they wear out. NT01s are surprisingly well behaved on the street.

Only buy your tires from discount tire direct on holidays. Their discounts are the steepest. Americaís/discount tire will about match their online promotion holiday pricing.

If you are forced to buy off holiday.. also check onlinetires.com. They are over by Knotts Berry Farm.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 12:57:19 AM by largeorangefont »
Quote from: cool
Sell it to spacevomit.  He'll finish it.

Offline largeorangefont

• Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2017, 12:37:47 AM »
I hadn't really thought about NT01's for a street car...  They do have them in 315/30 and 335/30 r18s though.

I like 1 piece wheels for the lack of complexity and weight over 3 piece.  They also tend to have bit more presence since a bolt pattern inside the wheel shrinks the face a lot.  I keep seeing angular gold designs I like.

Not sure who makes these but I dig them.

You picked about the most expensive wheel you could have.. those are HREs.

Online frijolee

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2017, 02:27:35 AM »
Ha, well I figured I have good taste...

If the forgestars redesgined their spokes on the F14 that might be my winner.  Looks like they'll be under $500 each.  Available in both 18x11 and 18x12 in a low offset of my choice.  They also have an 18x13 but it's lowest offset is a +36 and it is the semi concave spoke.

Still digging the race gold color.

www.roninspeedworks.com

Online frijolee

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2017, 02:42:15 AM »
Damn good reading on the forgestars updates (from one of their most famous failures)

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-racing-competition-11/forgestar-f14-17x10-data-thread-1072676/

Bending moment of intertia (stiffness) is 1/12 b *h^3.  So increasing spoke thickness (h in the above) from 19 to 24 mm is a factor of 1.263.  1.263^3 = 2.01 so this  change doubles the bending strength of the spokes.  That feels much better.

Joel

www.roninspeedworks.com

Offline ZDan

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2017, 08:34:17 AM »
Replace your AD08s with NT01s.  I've been streeting on NT01s for years now and for me they're about perfect.

I don't think 315/335 widths are going to help for grip on the street, and might be worse for grip as they'll never be anywhere near optimal temp.   IMO, tire width is HUGELY overrated for grip on the street.
'94 RX-7 / 6.8 LS3 / T56 Magnum
0-184.8 in 5280'  :)  (with the old 6.0...)

Offline largeorangefont

• Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2017, 10:26:47 AM »
Damn good reading on the forgestars updates (from one of their most famous failures)

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-racing-competition-11/forgestar-f14-17x10-data-thread-1072676/

Bending moment of intertia (stiffness) is 1/12 b *h^3.  So increasing spoke thickness (h in the above) from 19 to 24 mm is a factor of 1.263.  1.263^3 = 2.01 so this  change doubles the bending strength of the spokes.  That feels much better.

Joel

That was the failure I referenced. That guy beat the crap out of those wheels for awhile, they didnít just break. Many many people use Forgestars for time attack and competition with tons of success. The spoke change makes them even stronger as you noted.

Let me know, I can give you my contact @ Howey Industries to order them through. Gold or bronze would look great on your car.

I would go square 315/30/18 on 18X12 if it was me. Makes life a little easier. Unless you cant run the same offset front and rear without a minor spacer.. then go nuts with 315/335 :)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 01:37:17 PM by largeorangefont »

Offline kinger

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2017, 12:21:20 PM »
Double ++ on the NT01s LOF talked me into them and with my 410/430 hp/tq stroker I don't even use traction control anymore.  This is all street, some rain, some cold (20-30 degree days).  Tires have been flawless.  I think I have around 5000 miles on them and they look bald but seem to actually be getting stickier.  They are quiet, comfortable, and grip like mad.  My only complaint is the rain performance, or lack there of on the street.  I pay close attention to the weather  ;)

The car is a fair weather toy so rain is a small complaint.  I love the NT01s and they will be my go to replacement going forward. 
93 Touring, 6.2L, 415/425 Whp/Wtq, 8.8, samberg everything, AC, PS, TC, Cruise, LED Tails, HID head lights, immaculate interior and paint.

Offline gnx7

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2017, 03:18:14 PM »
NT01's are great on the street especially in SoCal weather.  Don't be afraid to run a 100 tread wear tire or less like Ashley said on the street.  You need it!

I have a set of silver shot peened CCW C10 18x10 (2 of them) and 18x12 (3 of them) for an FD offset running stock front fenders rolled and Pettit rear flares.
$2200 picked up   They are $850+ each new

Fronts are +50mm.... rears are whatever adding 2" outwards lip to that offset is.
'93 FD: 441ci/AllPro LS7 heads/intake en route, T56 Mag, 8.8" IRS, HolleyHP, DavisTechTC 10.32@137mph cats/full exhaust. 165mph 1/2 mile (old LS7)
'93 FD LS9 turbo, T56 Mag, Samberg 8.8" solid axle, 9.35@163mph 197mph 1/2 mile
`69 Chevelle: alum 5.3, GTS76 turbo, ChiseledPerf A/W, T56 Magnum,Ford 35 spline 9".CTS-V interior http://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=18234.0
old yellar....440rwhp/FD sold but not forgotten: http://www.ponycars.net/scc.htm
I sell new T56 Magnums/McLeod clutch/T56 rebuild kits/Holley EFI/FIC injectors and all BrianTooleyRacing parts.  norcalmotorsport@gmail.com

Offline ZDan

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2017, 09:21:34 AM »
Fronts are +50mm.... rears are whatever adding 2" outwards lip to that offset is.
That would be +50mm - 1/2(2") = +25mm
'94 RX-7 / 6.8 LS3 / T56 Magnum
0-184.8 in 5280'  :)  (with the old 6.0...)

Offline largeorangefont

• Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2017, 11:17:49 AM »
Unless Joel added some thick spacers,heíd need to rebarrel those to make them work.

Online frijolee

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2017, 01:38:51 AM »
C10s are one piece wheels.  No re-barrelling possible.  Thanks for the idea Mark but I think I'll pass.
www.roninspeedworks.com