June 19, 2019, 10:52:30 AM

Author Topic: 04G35S 1JZGTE VVTI FD3S Build  (Read 3259 times)

Offline 04G35S

Re: 04G35S 1JZGTE VVTI FD3S Build
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2017, 04:13:35 PM »
And the way car sits now. Getting AEM Infinity wired in by a friend right now, inc an AEM CD7 Dash.

Offline 04G35S

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2017, 05:26:38 PM »
Nice work so far. Interested to see how this turns out.

I donít get why go to all the trouble when a V8 drops in, is lighter and makes more power, but anything is a upgrade from 3 blown rotories :)

LOL! Too each their own, but a couple reasons I went 1JZ:

1. I have driven a LS1 RX7 and was not impressed at all. I know there is a ton you can do to them but I have been an import guy my entire life and sticking a domestic V8 in this car just did not work for me.

2. It is not lighter nor makes more power than a 2/1JZ. Do your research. There is a guy on RX7 Club that has corner balanced a 2JZ, LS1, and Rotary car proving that the weight difference is not much over the rotary. The V8 came within pounds of the 2JZ. I wont get into the power comment, you sneeze and you make 500 wheel on a JZ, but it is the same with a LS.

Exactly, to each their own.

Those 3 cars werenít quite the same (that would probably never happen anyway), but close enough. By the time you add the supporting parts to make 500+ WHP the JZ car is heavier, but not by a wide margin.

I donít know how you werenít at least impressed by the V8, if by your own admission it makes the same power and is within pounds. But some cars are built much better than others.

This is not directed at you, but the idiots that whine and cry about the V8 ruining the car are the same ones that drool over the 1JZ/2JZ swaps that are demonstrably worse than the V8 for weight, weight bias and CG.

Again, good progress so far, it should be nice when you are done.

Quick question- is the CD009 gearing ok for use with 1JZ/2JZ and the 4.10 rear gear? I suspect it might be, but it totally sucks when used with an LS and T56. A rear end gear change is needed to a 2.73 rear gear to make the car driveable.

I can defiantly appreciate your opinion, and really appreciate your compliments. To say I wasn't impressed has to be in context, at the time I was driving my 550whp 13B which felt like way more of an animal all the way around. The torque was great, and a welcomed change from the rotary, but it just didn't pull like I thought it would. If I would have gone LS it would have had to be boosted.

I have not driven the car yet but I am also doing a Ford 8.8 rear end (working on it now) with 3.55 gears. Which with the math is almost the exact gearing as a 2JZ supra with the Getreg 6speed.

Offline largeorangefont

• Top Fuel
  • I steer with the gas pedal.
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2017, 07:23:17 PM »
I can defiantly appreciate your opinion, and really appreciate your compliments. To say I wasn't impressed has to be in context, at the time I was driving my 550whp 13B which felt like way more of an animal all the way around. The torque was great, and a welcomed change from the rotary, but it just didn't pull like I thought it would. If I would have gone LS it would have had to be boosted.

I have not driven the car yet but I am also doing a Ford 8.8 rear end (working on it now) with 3.55 gears. Which with the math is almost the exact gearing as a 2JZ supra with the Getreg 6speed.

Good deal on the rear end swap. That should work well.
Quote from: cool
Sell it to spacevomit.  He'll finish it.

Offline freeskier7791

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2017, 10:21:32 AM »
There is definitely a big difference between a turbo and NA car.  I like how this is turning out, 1Js sound so good! 

Offline 04G35S

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2018, 09:16:12 AM »
It has been a long time since I updated and I have to admit I have very little documentation. The car is on the ground with almost 150 miles on it now.

I got the Ford 8.8 conversion completed. I used a Ford Performance Traction-Lok differential. Nothing special here.

Wiring for the AEM Infinity is completed. I also got the CD-7 Dash wired as well. I am currently waiting on a Speedhut Fuel Level gauge to wrap it all up and paint the cluster to match the interior.

Driveshaft was ordered from Midwest Driveshaft in IL. I would suggest anyone looking for a driveshaft use Midwest. Awesome customer service and turn around was 5 days!

Offline 04G35S

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2018, 09:50:10 AM »
I finally got the car on the ground and took it for a test drive (after numerous calls to AEM Tech line to get everything set up to start the car). It drove great, until I tried to put it into 5th gear. It was like hitting a brick wall and it would not shift into great. After a call with FenFab (my shifter builder) I found out it is a common issue with some cut kits when adapting a CD009 to a JZ engine. There is a 5th gear rod that needs to come forward that the adapter does not allow. It was a very easy fix, once the trans was pulled out again. I needed to drill a 1/2" deep recess into the plate to allow this rod to move forward. I used Playdoh to check clearances, I knew my sons toys would come in handy some day! lol.

Everything is ready to rock and roll now. No leaks and everything works. I have a tuning appointment on 4/10/18 at Sounds Performance in Bensenville, IL. Will be a flex fuel tune.

Offline 04G35S

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2018, 09:51:33 AM »
Lastly I got some photos of my mounts and how my engine sits in the subframe. I have been getting quite a few requests for these.

Offline 04G35S

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2018, 09:52:25 AM »
Lastly, how the car sits now!

Offline digitalsolo

• Administrator
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • LS1FC.com
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2018, 10:09:58 AM »
Build is looking really good!   I bet that thing is a ton of fun to drive.
Blake MF'ing McBride
1988 Mazda RX7 - Turbo LS1/T56/ProEFI/8.8/Not Slow...   sold.
1965 Mustang Coupe - TT Coyote, TR6060, modern brakes/suspension...  project car
2016 BMW 428i xDrive Gran Coupe - Completely stock...ish

Offline W.tungsten

« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2018, 03:11:23 PM »
Great work. I appreciate keeping the stock hood!

Offline Four

« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2018, 02:23:30 PM »
Love it! Mine has met some unexpected delays.

Offline 04G35S

« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2018, 01:40:02 PM »
UPDATE:

I had my tuning apt at Sound Performance in Chicago on Tuesday. After about 4 hours of ECU setup we started to do some pulls. On the 3rd pull (gate pressure 15psi) the turbo started to smoke at high RPM. The 4th pull it smoked like crazy and started a fire on the exhaust manifold (put out quickly with the dyno fan). At that time we had thought the oil seals on my turbo let go. Off the dyno it went and I went home with my tail between my legs. On the plus side the car made just under 400 wheel at 15psi with very modest timing.

After talking to the guys at sound performance it was the consensus that my oil feed is too large and at high rpm (125-130 psi of oil pressure) the drain can not keep up. When I got home I switched everything to a -3an setup and what do you know, 0 smoking or oil leaking! See photo below for comparison between -4 & -3. While I was out testing this I noticed puffs of blue smoke at high RPM as well as on startup... I am assuming its valve guide seals which I will tackle this winter.

Lastly another issue presented itself once we started beating on the car. As the clutch warmed up and started to expanded it was evident that the clutch was not fully disengaging. In my haste to get the car up and running I never thought to measure the slave cylinder/throw out bearing tolerances (T56 slave). So the trans has to come out of the car for the 4th time so I can do this and install the proper shims to get an adequate disengagement of the clutch.

Needless to say, I learned a lot on my first dyno session. I am thinking I will run the car at 400 hp on pump gas all summer and see what other bugs I work out before retuning and switching to E85 and 600 wheel.

Offline digitalsolo

• Administrator
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • LS1FC.com
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2018, 03:59:50 PM »
Yeah, that's an awful lot of feed for the turbo, for sure.

Not bad numbers though!  Sucks to have to rip the tranny out...
Blake MF'ing McBride
1988 Mazda RX7 - Turbo LS1/T56/ProEFI/8.8/Not Slow...   sold.
1965 Mustang Coupe - TT Coyote, TR6060, modern brakes/suspension...  project car
2016 BMW 428i xDrive Gran Coupe - Completely stock...ish

Offline Cobranut

« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2018, 06:15:27 PM »
If your oil pressure is really that high, you need to find out why.   :o

Too much oil pressure can cause several problems, excessive load on the oil pump and drive, erosion of bearings, potential leaks and oil filter explosion, and power loss.

Check your relief valve and make sure it's free, and that the spring is not too strong, or shimmed up solid.
Also, you may be running too high a viscosity oil for your bearing clearances.

Most engines see no benefit from oil pressure above 80-90psi, even at very high rpm.

1995 FD, 7.0 Liter stroked LS3, T56, 8.8, Samberg kit.

Offline 04G35S

« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2018, 10:34:03 AM »
If your oil pressure is really that high, you need to find out why.   :o

Too much oil pressure can cause several problems, excessive load on the oil pump and drive, erosion of bearings, potential leaks and oil filter explosion, and power loss.

Check your relief valve and make sure it's free, and that the spring is not too strong, or shimmed up solid.
Also, you may be running too high a viscosity oil for your bearing clearances.

Most engines see no benefit from oil pressure above 80-90psi, even at very high rpm.

When I first started the engine, I too thought the oil pressure was too high. After a lot of research and talking with the guys at Sound Performance they didn't see any issues with hit. It is a brand new pump from Toyota. But thank you for the advise, I will pull the relief and make sure it is not sticking. I am running Mobil 1 5W30.

I should mention that I have an oil filter relocation run through the OEM dual R1 oil coolers. I have read that can cause slightly higher oil pressure. AEM sensor is between the block and oil filter before it goes out to the coolers.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 10:43:41 AM by 04G35S »