December 11, 2018, 04:15:33 PM

Author Topic: 1987 FC Ronin 8.8 Install?  (Read 948 times)

Offline lemasurier

1987 FC Ronin 8.8 Install?
« on: August 02, 2017, 12:20:50 PM »
Hey guys,

I am wanting to do the Ronin 8.8 rear end install. I am wanting to do this mainly for the gearing.  I currently have a Chevy 383 and a TH350 transmission.  The car is used mainly as a weekend street machine. I have a few questions about the install. 

I have searched and I have not found a good step-by-step write up on this install.  Is there one out there someone could link me to?

I am unsure of which gear ratio I want to go with.  Thinking either the 3.27 or 3.55.  Looking for more top end and hopefully better fuel economy.  Currently around 5 MPG.

I have been searching around for a used 8.8 without much luck.  Any suggestions?  Once I do find one do you think I should run it as is or rebuild it?

I am located in SE Florida if anyone would like to lend a hand for pizza and beer and a few bucks....

Thanks for any help/suggestions...

Offline largeorangefont

• Top Fuel
  • I steer with the gas pedal.
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
Re: 1987 FC Ronin 8.8 Install?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2017, 02:49:38 PM »
The Explorer comes with 3.55 or 3.73 gears. You'd want one with 3.55 gears to avoid extra cost and it will work well with the TH350. It is available with a Ford LSD, but is hit or miss if you will find one that was optioned with the LSD. You can read the tag and if it has an L, it has a limited slip diff. They are usually in ok shape to run as is, but if you want an LSD and yours does not have it, you'll be looking at a rebuild anyway to install one, so most times it is best to find one with an open diff, rebuild it the way you want it and be set.

A new Ford Trac Lok diff is $220 shipped, and there are more performance options available for a higher cost. The rebuild kit is around $70 shipped.

I can probably locate a diff, if you are interested, PM me.

As far as a how to, the Ronin instructions cover a lot. If you read through the Ronin FC 8.8 thread, there are many builds there. The general steps are there, but there are a few options as to how you set it up which is why you don't have a definitive step by step guide. For instance your driveshaft setup may be different because of your transmission.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 08:48:48 PM by largeorangefont »
Quote from: cool
Sell it to spacevomit.  He'll finish it.

Offline eage8

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2017, 05:57:48 PM »
'89 RX-7 TurboII - Ronin Widebody and Ford 8.8 - 13B lolz
'89 Corolla SR5 - 4A-GE 20 Valve 6 speed swap Megasquirt
'01 Impreza 2.5RS - Daily driver/rally-x car
'81 BMW R65

Offline Richard5657

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 09:57:05 PM »
How much of an issue/problem is it if the 8.8 doesn't have an LSD?   Currently working on the install of mine.  I didn't check if it does or doesnt.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

1990 RHD RX-7

Offline largeorangefont

• Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2017, 06:31:55 PM »
How much of an issue/problem is it if the 8.8 doesn't have an LSD?   Currently working on the install of mine.  I didn't check if it does or doesnt.

Does your rear end still have the diff tag on it? if it says 3L73 or 3L55 it has an LSD with 3.73s or 3.55s. If it is an open diff the car is going to spin only one tire when you floor it, and may unload in corners.

Offline Richard5657

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2017, 06:38:37 PM »

Does your rear end still have the diff tag on it? if it says 3L73 or 3L55 it has an LSD with 3.73s or 3.55s. If it is an open diff the car is going to spin only one tire when you floor it, and may unload in corners.
Here's my tag.  Paperwork I got doesn't say and I don't see any other identifiers.  If I open it up, will it be apparent which I have?

1990 RHD RX-7

Offline Cobranut

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2017, 10:39:49 PM »
That looks to be an open 3.73 rear.
I wouldn't run an open diff in any performance car.

Ford Motorsport sells the Traction-Lok LSD for a very reasonable price.  It's a good unit that seems to hold up well.
If you want more, there are several aftermarket LSD's and lockers available for the 8.8, at a great range of prices.

Any competent automotive mechanic should be able to do the install, or if you're inclined, there are tutorials online that will walk you through the procedure yourself.
As long as you're not changing the gearset, and your pinion bearings and seal is good, the only thing you'll have to set is backlash and side gear preload.

David
1995 FD, 7.0 Liter stroked LS3, T56, 8.8, Samberg kit.

Offline frijolee

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2017, 01:32:47 PM »
Looks like other folks already pointed you to the instructions.  We notify folks where those live on the shipping info, but sometimes it gets missed.

FWIW I really like the Detriot TruTrac for all around usage.  We generally recommend Drivetrain America for diffs and rebuild kits.  No afflilation but we've had good success with them on our own and customer cars (great prices, good selection, solid customer service).

-Joel Payne
(for RSW)
LS2 stroker FC, Mandeville big brakes, widebody, etc
Build thread:  http://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=1274.0
www.roninspeedworks.com

LargeOrangeFont says: "Joel is right, and I love Joel. But his car sounds like the wrath of God."   ;)

Offline largeorangefont

• Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2017, 10:54:52 PM »
Good price on a new Truetrac on EBay. I agree that these are the best bang for buck performance diff for the car. A OE Mustang Cobra Trac Loc is $219 shipped.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/202007938141