October 13, 2019, 04:31:55 PM

Author Topic: Finally Got A New Toy To Replace The RX7  (Read 29686 times)

Offline freeskier7791

Re: Finally Got A New Toy To Replace The RX7
« Reply #390 on: July 10, 2019, 07:21:45 AM »
wow, you're crazy if you sell the car after this!!

I could see myself selling it. It's taken this long just to get it the right color and while I know it's a Lotus... it's been VERY LOTUS'Y
So if it keeps up the constant antics I will likely get rid of it. My hope is that I can stop putting money into it for a while and enjoy it. It is a very fun car when it's running well.

I'd imagine so.  I know my friend likes his, but he doesn't drive it much.  With that new paint I bet you would sell it very very quickly
https://www.youtube.com/thedriftingdad
1985 Mazda RX7 GSL Drift Car

CCVT

Offline sciff5

« Reply #391 on: July 11, 2019, 12:17:29 AM »
Got the car today.
And it even started first time and drove on and off the trailer, which was shockingly undramatic for this car. They're still finishing the doors but loading and unloading the car without the doors on it, kinda made me want to drive it doorless A LOT more often. Felt more like a T-REX which was cool.

Paint job overall looks pretty flawless. I've been studying paint now for 2 years and did the whole first round of prep and learned a lot. This paint job was done well and it shows. And the color is more gold than I thought it'd be. I'm still processing it and everything's still too much in limbo but I think when it's all together it's going to look amazing.
Some preiminary shots, and a quick video from my painter, but his camera I noticed washes out the color. It's darker than this in person:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lz_QJtR7Egk&feature=youtu.be

Here's the one shot my buddy took of the car on his iphone and it better shows the color. (Don't mind my ride on lawn mower battery bungee corded to the top of the engine.)

Offline radiomike

• Supporting Member
  • Staged
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: July 11, 2019, 05:26:21 AM »

I could see myself selling it. It's taken this long just to get it the right color and while I know it's a Lotus... it's been VERY LOTUS'Y
So if it keeps up the constant antics I will likely get rid of it. My hope is that I can stop putting money into it for a while and enjoy it. It is a very fun car when it's running well.

I assume you know why Colin Chapman called the company Lotus?

Offline freeskier7791

« Reply #393 on: July 11, 2019, 02:42:14 PM »
that looks awesome!

CCVT

Offline spacevomit

« Reply #394 on: July 15, 2019, 10:05:59 AM »
Beautiful.

Offline digitalsolo

• Administrator
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • LS1FC.com
« Reply #395 on: July 15, 2019, 10:22:48 AM »
Absolutely fantastic.
Blake MF'ing McBride
1988 Mazda RX7 - Turbo LS1/T56/ProEFI/8.8/Not Slow...   sold.
1965 Mustang Coupe - TT Coyote, TR6060, modern brakes/suspension...  project car
2016 BMW 428i xDrive Gran Coupe - Completely stock...ish

Offline sciff5

« Reply #396 on: July 15, 2019, 09:30:57 PM »

I assume you know why Colin Chapman called the company Lotus?

Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious?

BTW I'm getting there. The only technical challenge is disecting the wiring harness for the stereo system.
Going to pull the thermostat tomorrow, it was sticking closed at times last year
Put some last peices of trim on the car and then I'm going to lower it about half an inch, and if I have time, put a straight pipe on it for lawls.,

Offline sciff5

« Reply #397 on: July 22, 2019, 09:20:36 PM »
I was on a mission last week to make it to the Mission 22 new england rally. Every summer a local group of car clubs converge to make one giant rally group for a giant charity rally weekend full of shenanigans and high speed hijinx.
I recieved the chassis back from paint about a week  before the rally but I still had parts coming back from paint up until 2 days before the rally so I was working on the car up until midnight, the night before the rally and my drive to the rally meeting spot at 6am was literally my shake down.
I ddn't post much about the re-assembly of the car because it was mostly tedious yet uneventful. Just like the RX7 I still seemed to be able to remember where most things were, recognize all of the major bolts just by looking at them, and I was able to find the majority of the peices easily although the car came back to me well less than assembled lets say... so it was a full week from wake up till after dark every day with help from friends.

But that morning, we drove approx 50 miles to the rally start point without issues, in fact the braking from the larger rear radially mounted calipers I installed and the lowered (+ more rake) stance transformed the handling along with the A052 tires (Never going back to R888Rs).

We started the rally which was high paced from the git-go, and made it another 30 miles before hitting traffic. While putting through traffic the car started sputtering and stalled out then stalled out again and again and started puffing a bunch of white smoke out of the ehaust (but no coolant smell)
One of the guys on the rally (a vintage racer) pulled over and made the determination that it was fuel coming out of the exhaust and flooding the cylinders. Insted of quitting on the rally the guys told me to tow it to the race track (our final destination for the day) and we'd get cracking on it.

Sat on the side of the highway for an hour and a half with temps over 100 degrees due to the traffic/hot road. Got a chance to talk to lots of people crawling by at about 3mph:

We got to the track towards the end of the day, and people got busy looking through the car. Car would barely stat and continued to puff smoke out of the exhaust. So we pulled the plugs and 3 of 4 were nasty. Changed the plugs and she started up but it was running 9:1 A/F. Super rich and was starting to foul the new plugs. We went on a hunt to look for injectors but finding even stock injectors was impossible.

The next day one of the other Elises on the rally actually crashed on the track, so we decided to try to borrow injectors from him even though they were stock 300 cc injectors instead of my 750cc injectors. Figured they should work perfect for idling and low rpm/low load. So it would be a guaranteed way to get home.
Didn't work and the car was lean even at idle to the point it barely revved.

So we had to throw the old injectors back in and magically after tapping them a bunch and working some carb cleaner through them, they seemed to be working perfectly again. Burned 2 days till they decided to work again, but the car was up and running and maintained A/F the rest of the trip, allowing us to go on the Kanc cruise on the third day.
(Think NH version of Tail of the Dragon)

We did the trip up as a group of about 30 from Loon mountain and the car's handling and braking was really really next level. Nothing short of flat out amazing.

And some short videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Gf2SaWT3IY&feature=youtu.be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YH0A01sAwcA&feature=youtu.be

Amzing weekend, and surprisingly we made it home

Offline freeskier7791

« Reply #398 on: July 23, 2019, 07:33:55 AM »
Typical Lotus right??  Magically fixes itself.  That color is insane!!  I bet you were getting lots of comments on it, and makes all the hard work worth it.  I really miss being able to drive my car on the street

CCVT

Offline digitalsolo

• Administrator
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • LS1FC.com
« Reply #399 on: July 23, 2019, 08:39:39 AM »
I know it took way too much work, but it sure turned out well.  Congrats on getting to (mostly) use it for purpose!
Blake MF'ing McBride
1988 Mazda RX7 - Turbo LS1/T56/ProEFI/8.8/Not Slow...   sold.
1965 Mustang Coupe - TT Coyote, TR6060, modern brakes/suspension...  project car
2016 BMW 428i xDrive Gran Coupe - Completely stock...ish

Offline Grumpy

« Reply #400 on: July 23, 2019, 02:30:54 PM »
Did the cruise go to the Tamworth NH track on Rt 25 ?
Dan
AKA "Sleeper6"

9.999 @ 135.96
Buick GN V6 Turbo
8.8 Ford rear end. 308 gear.
200 R4 with a LU converter
Drag Radials
3324#s

Offline sciff5

« Reply #401 on: July 23, 2019, 04:08:35 PM »
Did the cruise go to the Tamworth NH track on Rt 25 ?

Yep, club motorsports. Great track.
We were there 2 days and I literally never even saw the track i was just head down on the car. I came back yesterday and basically slept the whole day.
When it ran though the car was an absolute monster in the corners. It's really too bad I didn't get to use it on the track as the limits are so much higher now, I really need to re-adjust.

Offline sciff5

« Reply #402 on: July 23, 2019, 04:11:19 PM »
I know it took way too much work, but it sure turned out well.  Congrats on getting to (mostly) use it for purpose!

Typical Lotus right??  Magically fixes itself.  That color is insane!!  I bet you were getting lots of comments on it, and makes all the hard work worth it.  I really miss being able to drive my car on the street

Thanks guys, I did get a lot of compliments on the color, and just the look of the car overall. I slammed the car before the event which helps a lot too, but was getting some rubbing in hard corners. Only scraped once though. Pretty good all else considered

Offline sciff5

« Reply #403 on: August 20, 2019, 09:26:54 PM »
Finally got it out on track,
First time to this track, but had a good time. Actually had a couple "moments" on the track and luckily found my biggest on on video from a car chasing behind. He seemed more enthusiastic about it then I was Lol. Is that a "bug-aboo" chant?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQ9J_KIpsA8&feature=youtu.be&t=555

And From in the car (not soo much drama) The A052s are pretty progressive during breakaway but I'm not honestly sure what caused this slide so I just let the cars behind me pass and let the tires cool off a bit.
https://youtu.be/gxqygDy3rfs?t=440

Offline freeskier7791

« Reply #404 on: August 21, 2019, 07:34:46 AM »
Finally got it out on track,
First time to this track, but had a good time. Actually had a couple "moments" on the track and luckily found my biggest on on video from a car chasing behind. He seemed more enthusiastic about it then I was Lol. Is that a "bug-aboo" chant?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQ9J_KIpsA8&feature=youtu.be&t=555

And From in the car (not soo much drama) The A052s are pretty progressive during breakaway but I'm not honestly sure what caused this slide so I just let the cars behind me pass and let the tires cool off a bit.
https://youtu.be/gxqygDy3rfs?t=440

That thing understeers like crazy.  It looks like you are braking pretty late and deep into the turns as well.  braking and turning is never good on a racetrack

CCVT