April 24, 2019, 04:08:49 AM

Author Topic: Ten Pounds of Shit in a Five Pound Bag - Twin Turbo 5.3 Daily Driver Build  (Read 11275 times)

Offline N2v8fcs

The 9.96 was in my PG car . The 5.3 that was in the PG car is now in the stick car. I'm currently putting the finishing touches on the new 370 /6.0 engine for the PG car.
:drive:
new personal best 11.45 @ 120 mph N/A car...9.11 @152 mph for the turbo car.

1987 FC  355 SBC, T-5, T2 rear        retired 5-4-11
1991 FC  383 SBC, sold to Dad. Now 5.3 w 76mm turbo, G-force T-5, 8.8 Ronin rear 
1990 FC  370 CID 6.0 w 88mm turbo, Powerglide, Ronin 8.8 w 3.15 gears

Offline shainiac

I bet that's a lot of fun. Auto is the only way to go for a drag car. IRS can definitely still go fast though. My good friend just went 9.2@150 in a 3600# E36 BMW sedan. 6.0/TH400, twin S366s and a OEM BMW 7 Series diff and axles.  Full interior on a drag radial. It cut a 1.4 60 off the foot brake! I know doing a stick shift car isn't going to be the fastest thing around, but the nearest drag strip is 2.5 hours and I have no interest in street racing. Stick shift is more fun around where I live.

Does anyone have any recommendations for 8.8" IRS output seals and bearings? I just found out my rebuild kit is for a solid axle so it doesn't include those. I'd also like to do a solid pinion spacer if anyone has a reliable part number.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 08:54:31 AM by shainiac »
'88 TII - 13BT, MS3X , EFR 9180 IWG, A2W Intercooled
539whp/407wtq @ 25.5psi

Soon to be Alum 5.3 GenIV LS, Twin EFR 6758s, T56 Magnum, Ronin 8.8" IRS, MS3Pro Ultimate

Build Thread      Instagram      Youtube

Offline shainiac

Re: Ten Pounds of Shit in a Five Pound Bag - Twin Turbo 5.3 Daily Driver Build
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2017, 09:02:43 AM »
I got the car back up on jack stands and started working on mounting the radiator. It's going to be interesting. I really dont like how half the core is blocked by the intercooler. I'm thinking I may just pull the trigger on Ford Countour fans now and see just how far back I can set the rad to get better airflow. Right now, there is so little gap between the rad and IC that there will be a pretty large dead spot . Also, all the rad core above the IC won't really get any airflow.

I'm thinking about trying to duct air from the brake duct holes on the FC2000 bumper to this top section of the rad???
I can lower the rad a little, but it worsens the interference I get with the downpipe. The IC has 2 end tanks on the inlet side with a gap in the middle, If I drop the rad low enough, I might be able to get some extra airflow there too.

539whp/407wtq @ 25.5psi

Soon to be Alum 5.3 GenIV LS, Twin EFR 6758s, T56 Magnum, Ronin 8.8" IRS, MS3Pro Ultimate

Offline shainiac

« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2017, 12:45:25 PM »
I was able to get both sides of charge pipe mocked up and started trying to figure out the intakes.
It looks like I'm going to be able to get the intakes behind the bumper openings pretty well.
I'm think i'll make "buckets" for the filters to get better air flow, but I'm not sure how important that'll  be.

I'm also tossing around the idea of dumping the downpipes with a 45* in front of the tires (see first photo).
Not not sure how much havoc this will wreak on the tires and brakes when the car is moving?

I also figured out that a 1" SCH40 aluminum pipe 'el' will work to kick my radiator inlet away from the turbo $30 for one of the little bastards, but it should work perfect.

539whp/407wtq @ 25.5psi

Offline N2v8fcs

« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2017, 05:30:32 PM »
I'd go with a 16 AN upper radiator hose, and fire sleeve it.
  My .02
:drive:
new personal best 11.45 @ 120 mph N/A car...9.11 @152 mph for the turbo car.

1987 FC  355 SBC, T-5, T2 rear        retired 5-4-11
1991 FC  383 SBC, sold to Dad. Now 5.3 w 76mm turbo, G-force T-5, 8.8 Ronin rear 
1990 FC  370 CID 6.0 w 88mm turbo, Powerglide, Ronin 8.8 w 3.15 gears

Offline shainiac

« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2017, 10:32:43 PM »
Even if I did, the bend radius on a AN fitting and a AN 90 is too much to clear the turbo. I suppose I could do a cast elbow, AN adapter and go AN after it clears the turbo, but then I'd have to put an AN fitting on the water pump. But if I ever have to replace the water pump, it'll be an ordeal. I'm not opposed to going AN completely, but if I did, if go AN20 and push lock so I could keep the OEM 1.25" water pump outlet.
539whp/407wtq @ 25.5psi

Offline shainiac

« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2017, 09:33:20 AM »
So, my Ford Contour fans showed up.
They fit the BeCool Boneyard LS 26.5x17Ē radiator very well.
They do not, however, fit in the car. They foul the driverís side turbo by about an inch unfortunately.
I only paid $60 for the fans and theyíre supposed to kick ass, I really donít want to buy a pair of Spals for $250 and have less performance.
My only other option is to move the intercooler forward. I still have the factory sheet metal in front of the IC for the horn and relays, but thatís not big deal to move. The problem is that Iíd be pushing the IC further into the nose of the car, so hood clearance is about to get interesting. I already cut out the entire hood latch sheet metal and the boost coupler is nearly touching the hood skin.
I need to bolt up the front bumper and see how much ground clearance I actually have. If itís close, I may say the hell with it and drop the IC a bit and push it as far forward as I have hood clearance for. 

One cool thing, a guy on LS1tech built a similar exhaust to what I have with the vacuum-close cutouts. They work awesome! There is a video in his post here.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction/1829671-twin-turbo-93-ls-notch-16.html#post19721607

539whp/407wtq @ 25.5psi

Offline kinger

« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2017, 10:49:56 AM »
Things are getting tight in there!  Looks great
93 Touring, 6.2L, 415/425 Whp/Wtq, 8.8, samberg everything, AC, PS, TC, Cruise, LED Tails, HID head lights, immaculate interior and paint.

Offline SuperSlow

« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2017, 07:50:31 PM »
Who is this @forcefed86 guy anyway? hahaha

Offline shainiac

« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2017, 08:56:24 AM »
Over the weekend, I cut out the front support and moved the intercooler and rad forward 2". I should have done this from the beginning! I did have to cut a lot more ribbing out towards the front of the hood and my boost coupler still touches the hood when closed. I should be able to trim another 1/2" off of the bottom of the coupler to lower it some more. It's a 3.5"-3" 90, so the more I cut, the smaller the ID and more difficult to get over the intercooler barb. The only downside is that my Tial-style blow off valves no longer fit under the hood, even when trimmed. I'm likely going to have to buy Turbosmart-style BOVs which use a Tial-style flange, but are shorter and have the vac port on the side. Kinda of a bummer, but worth it to not have to hack up the exhaust with the previous radiator location.

I was able to get my radiator modified for the steep price of a chicken sandwich and an ice coffee. I got everything mocked up and had my friend TIG it last minute for me. It's nice having friends who can TIG weld!
I also had him weld on two 4AN bungs for coolant return for the turbos and a third 4AN bung at the to top of the rad for coolant return to the expansion tank.
McMaster carries some nice 13mm OD/5mm ID aluminum standoffs that I'm using for mounting points for the fan and radiator supports. They tap out really nicely to M6x1.0. Really happy with how they turned out.

539whp/407wtq @ 25.5psi

Offline shainiac

« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2017, 08:28:00 AM »
Got the radiator halfway mounted. I still need to figure out a lower mount, but canít really think of an elegant way to do so. I donít have a welder at my new house yet, so Iím stuck using whatever I have laying around. Iím thinking of buying a Rivnut kit and throwing a couple in the frame rail and just making brackets to cup the bottom of each end tank. I already have tabs at the top of the radiator to stabilize it fore/aft.

Got the coils and plug wires mocked up as well. Iím going to heat wrap the manifolds and try to re-use the stock sheet metal heat shields. Iím happy to not have to snake the wires between the manifold and block, but I am still worried about baking the wires. I also have the ďtitaniumĒ plug booties, so hopefully that helps too.

After buying 2 reman Fbody pumps, I finally committed to using the used Nascar Sweet pump I already own. Both Fbody pumps I bought from Advance Auto had a lot of slop in the shaft. The Sweet pump is super solid and all aluminum. I tried using the Fbody reservoir on the Sweet pump, but the Inlet fitting isnít the same and the o-ring doesnít work. The Sweet pump has a ĺ-16 (8AN) threaded inlet and already has a 10AN fitting. I mocked up and old turbo drain and it looks like Iíll be able to run a remote reservoir by the clutch master. It doesnít look like itíll touch anything hot, but Iíll definitely want to put some heat sleeve on it. It does look like Iíll have to pull the driverís side wastegate to change the plugs though. Passenger side is easy.

539whp/407wtq @ 25.5psi

Offline shainiac

« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2017, 08:59:59 AM »
Iíve been seriously slacking on this car. Iíve mostly been picking away at small stuff on the car, but still lots of loose ends. Hereís all Iíve done over the last month or so.
ē   Remove dash and strip down HVAC to just defrost. Manual heater core solenoid valve, 4Ē Bilge fan blower to make room for ECU panel under dash.
ē   Removed sunroof assembly and half-way through installing carbon sunroof panel and cleaning/regreasing tracks.
ē   Made the oil and coolant lines for the turbos. Iím pulling coolant from the front steam ports on the head. Probably not the best place for them, but since this isnít an endurance car and water cooling is strongly suggested, but not required, I think itíll be okay.
ē   Mocked up wastegate dump placement. 95% sure Iím going to put them out the hood. If I buy the LRB vents, they should be out the slats in the vents.

Up next-
ē   Mount surge tank
ē   Finish fuel lines
ē   Finish Charge pipe
ē   Make lower rad mount  (bought Rivnut set since I donít have a welder at the moment)
ē   Find a suitable expansion tank and run heater core lines through passenger side of firewall.

539whp/407wtq @ 25.5psi

Offline 1320king

« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2017, 01:37:11 PM »
wow looks pretty sick cant wait to see this thing running

Offline shainiac

« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2017, 01:39:48 PM »

Thanks, man. I'm sure yours is going to be running way before mine! I move slow.
539whp/407wtq @ 25.5psi

Offline Fuhnortoner

« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2017, 09:24:05 AM »

+1