July 16, 2019, 03:56:08 AM

Author Topic: 57 Buick Special GMT900 AWD Frame swap  (Read 7498 times)

Offline etizz

Re: 57 Buick Special GMT900 AWD Frame swap
« Reply #105 on: July 09, 2019, 10:54:34 AM »
IT STARTED! lol I honestly am not sure what I did different now but I went to key on and check if codes popped up when I was in start position or not and it started cranking . I tried it again just to make sure it wasn't a fluke and it tried to start with only like 2 plug wires put on from me having the manifolds on and off. so for now I'm postponing the turbo idea with all the headaches this system might cause me, the e38 pcm tuning is tricky from what I understand so ill wait till its driving around without any problems before I add boost to the mix.

so I did weld up my exhaust manifold down pipes with o2 bungs to just be side exit for the time being with some mufflers clamped on , looks real bad but itll be quiet so I can test everything lol. got a few things to button up before I can try to move it under its own power but I had no clue id be ready so soon this is great!
1957 Buick Special, LS1 08 ESCALADE AWD FRAME SWAP
WEIRD SAAB THING PROJECT TUBE CHASSIS REAR ENGINE V4 LS1 PCM CONTROL DBW EFI CNP IGNITION

Offline digitalsolo

• Administrator
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • LS1FC.com
« Reply #106 on: July 09, 2019, 03:21:19 PM »
Heck yeah!   Congrats on getting it going!    How long till you can drive it around?
Blake MF'ing McBride
1988 Mazda RX7 - Turbo LS1/T56/ProEFI/8.8/Not Slow...   sold.
1965 Mustang Coupe - TT Coyote, TR6060, modern brakes/suspension...  project car
2016 BMW 428i xDrive Gran Coupe - Completely stock...ish

Offline etizz

« Reply #107 on: July 09, 2019, 05:09:11 PM »
Thanks! depends on how much time I get with it, I'm hoping before end of the month.
WEIRD SAAB THING PROJECT TUBE CHASSIS REAR ENGINE V4 LS1 PCM CONTROL DBW EFI CNP IGNITION

Offline etizz

« Reply #108 on: July 10, 2019, 01:51:47 PM »
so another quick update. I came home with a few things after work, installed the brake booster hose, map sensor, had to lengthen those wires, exhaust manifold bolts and an exhaust clamp for one of my mufflers. finally got to start and let it run. seemed to run ok, saw oil pressure build with my mechanical gauges I threw on there temporarily. throttle pedal responded. went ahead and shut it off cuz no coolant in the system. noticed that the cluster has been lighting up but the tach wasn't working. so it must be more communication issues because I already verified power/ground to the cluster and its obviously turning on. so I finally found a good wiring diagram for the low speed can bus system which included the instrument cluster.  I ohmed out the wire that it should be and found I crossed the only 2 green wires when I had to put the cluster back into, ok no big deal, swapped them, no change. guess my problem was a little deeper than that.

so I read up some more about can bus systems. seems like its resistance based, which means with alot of wires going nowhere in my case mean more resistance, if resistance value isnt what it needs to be , no data communicates at all like a Christmas tree light set, 1 bulb down, they all go down, in low speed at least.  overall seemed pretty simple once I saw the diagram in conjunction with it.  so I used the sp205 splice connector where all the can bus wires go to. and instead of using the part of it that connects all of them together into the "bus", I only picked 5 out of the 14 pin slots to connect together because that's what modules I know I have.

so after a quick wiring of those together to test my theory, I turned the key and instantly noticed a change in the cluster. most lights went away, I got different messages on the dash, the gear indicator light came on, I could actually see the odometer reading, no security light. fuel level is reading now, my abs/light and traction control light went out too. so I think those systems are going to work too! I'm almost in disbelief still that I was able to get that figured out in such a short amount of time, I thought id have to contact gm techs and all kinds of bs that I didn't want to do. so with that big hurdle solved, I feel a lot better about test driving once I get to that point.

really all I need to do is finish welding up my firewall panel for the brake booster/pedals about 80% done, finalize my steering shaft which is about 75% done, reinforce my column brace I made so its stronger, technically it would work for a test drive but I want to beef it up with thicker material. then double check trans fluid level and coolant and move my interior wiring out of the way so I'm not stepping on wires and itd be good for a go around the block . so I'm hoping that I can do that by my birthday (sunday 14th) which id say as long as I can get a few hours per night after the kids are asleep I'm well on my way to do that.

Offline digitalsolo

• Administrator
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • LS1FC.com
« Reply #109 on: July 10, 2019, 04:46:28 PM »
If you ever need help understanding CAN, I'm pretty good at it.  :)
Blake MF'ing McBride
1965 Mustang Coupe - TT Coyote, TR6060, modern brakes/suspension...  project car

Offline etizz

« Reply #110 on: July 11, 2019, 02:52:16 PM »
If you ever need help understanding CAN, I'm pretty good at it.  :)

I may take you up on that, not sure if I'm out of the woods yet, so we'll see once I get a test drive in.

so last night I pulled my firewall panel out and welded it up for good. then a quick paint job, and bolted it back in with some seam sealer. then I bolted in my pedals and booster/master up so I have brakes again! then I decided to just put my column brace piece in so I can at least make the steering shaft piece right, I can always reinforce it later. once it was in I was trying to locate the wiring mess in a usable spot. overall wasn't too bad but ill probably have to redo some things once the factory dash goes back in ill have to see what happens. for now lots of zip ties are getting me thru lol. I'm going to run all the grounds from the interior into the engine bay so I can get a good ground directly from the battery, I did that before but It was a temp setup for testing purposes.  also I should get my surge tank in today, noticed it was cracked when I went to fill up the radiator so I ordered one.  so really I'm just a steering shaft, a surge tank swap and coolant fill/ trans fluid level check and a few grounds away from driving I think for now. will hopefully have pics/video of that

Offline etizz

« Reply #111 on: July 12, 2019, 08:01:58 AM »
Well last night I swapped my coolant reservoir out, took like 5 min. then I was bolting up my column so I could test fit the steering shaft.  So apparently I'm going to have to reengineer my column piece anyway. went to just see what I've got to do to make the shaft piece connect and I realized that along the way I had shifted my brake pedals/booster to the passenger side about an inch to clear my hood hinge once its bolted up. so the shaft its hitting the booster and doesn't have a straight shot at the rest of the shaft near the rack. only needs to move like an inch over. so I'm just going to make a new piece using a 2x4 box that spans the width of the car to make my life easier and it ll be stronger as one piece . itll just be a pain to get in and out but really nothing will be in the way where it would need to in the future so I may just weld it in lol. so my test drive may be delayed a few hours but ill make it happen this weekend still.

Offline etizz

« Reply #112 on: July 15, 2019, 07:42:13 AM »
so for my birthday I got to drive it!

many long hours this past weekend but  I made it happen. had a minor coolant leak to fix with a heater hose, had to make my steering column brace again which is way better, should actually have a chance at fitting the factory dash again. made a battery tray mount in the passenger side front fenderwell. tried to tuck all the wires that were hanging around the drivers side. had to modify my gas pedal once the steering column was in place the column was hitting so I had to trim that some. then I had to make my steering shaft coupler and fit that up. fired it up pulled it out of the garage and topped the fluids up as it warmed up and checked for leaks and then took it for a spin around the block. still running the factory tune for the 6.2 Id say it did pretty well. each shift was weird until it did it at least once then it was fine. steering was a little harder than expected but not bad at all. brakes felt good. the ride was a bit bouncy but I have no idea how old the suspension is , could be the weight difference now I'm not sure.  definitely didn't put it thru any paces or anything I was just making sure nothing was going to fall off haha.  overall I'm happy with it.  obvious need to do the exhaust up right, fix the bumpers, wire up the lights before I can drive it more regularly, everything else should fall into place as I go hopefully.

Offline digitalsolo

• Administrator
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • LS1FC.com
« Reply #113 on: July 15, 2019, 10:02:04 AM »
That looks so wrong and awesome at the same time.  Nice work sir!   Congrats on getting to drive it!
Blake MF'ing McBride

Offline freeskier7791

« Reply #114 on: July 15, 2019, 03:49:54 PM »
so awesome.