January 17, 2019, 10:01:46 PM

Author Topic: 57 Buick Special GMT900 AWD Frame swap  (Read 4518 times)

Offline etizz

Re: 57 Buick Special 5.7 LS1 4L60E 8.8
« Reply #60 on: September 26, 2018, 11:56:00 AM »
thanks guys.  the seats not in too great of condition, plus id like to add seatbelts to it. im thinking a Silverado bench with the seatbelts built into the seat, well see if it measures out ok.  i'm getting closer with being able to drop it in hopefully for good.  went on another junkyard lunch break (only way I get things done anymore lol) picked up the remainder of ls parts I needed other than I'm still figuring out what I want to do about a ps pump. probably will go the same route I did before but trying to find a setup that I can use a oem tensioner and not have to start begging for money afterwards. 

currently I'm making my life harder at the moment by being cheap per usual , I have a cutup truck harness with most stuff there but not the pcm connectors or a few other things that came with a 5.3 I bought awhile ago.  ive been using that as a parts harness in recent times.  so I had to get another better shape harness for a good deal but it didn't have the trans connectors to it...not a big deal since I have all that on my parts harness right?. DONT DO IT. lol there are at least 2 of every wire color going to different things back there...what a holy pain to figure out, I only have like 4 wires left to splice together, my battery died on my phone switching between lt1swap pinouts to google photos of the trans connector pinouts, and the pinouts of the prndl switch, and also making sure nothing got switched between red blue to blue green since that's the dbw setup I'm using, ALL the while standaloning the harness in the process. I think next time ill just fork over a few hundred for a complete setup rather than junkyarding a pedal, ebaying a tac module and harness, and splicing together about half a harness lol. my motivation was that I had a blue/green pcm I already unlocked for a friends swap that didn't workout because he was dbc so I'm saving money there too by not unlocking another pcm.  phew at least it sounds good in my head lol.   

so I'm waiting on my ebay tac module with the pigtail that comes from that and connects to the throttle body, need to wire in my obd2 port, need to wire in the fusebox and relays for the standalone part,  then I can have everything plugged in that needs to be other than the power/ground/key on. I already mocked up my dbw pedal, looks like it ll be fine.  gotta modify/clean up the firewall there since ive got a new pedal, new steering column, no throttle cable, pcm is gonna be hidden in the engine bay instead of going inside the car like last time. so once I do that I can finally install the engine and then start the homestretch. ill try to get pics of my wiring mess so far later today If I can lol.
1957 Buick Special, LS1 08 ESCALADE AWD FRAME SWAP
WEIRD SAAB THING PROJECT TUBE CHASSIS REAR ENGINE V4 LS1 PCM CONTROL DBW EFI CNP IGNITION

Offline etizz

« Reply #61 on: September 27, 2018, 02:20:35 PM »
my tac module came last night unexpectedly early so figured out the labyrinth of wiring for that. after understanding what I was looking at its not too bad . 3 wire cruise, stop lamp wire, power , ground , 2 wires to pcm serial,  then all the rest to the throttle body. it took me awhile to realize since I'm coming from a db cable harness that I'm not using any of the wires that went to the tps or iac, I originally thought I was going to be routing them somewhere but nope they're gone completely, once I was comfortable with that it made more sense lol. So now I guess next step is to finish the stand alone part then itll be ready to drop it in the car.
WEIRD SAAB THING PROJECT TUBE CHASSIS REAR ENGINE V4 LS1 PCM CONTROL DBW EFI CNP IGNITION

Offline etizz

« Reply #62 on: October 01, 2018, 04:52:24 PM »
ok another update, finishing up some more engine wiring, thinned it out, double checked all my trans wiring I had to splice in, found I was missing bank 1 sensor 1 o2 connector, spliced that in, wired the tac module serial data to pcm, lengthened obd2 connector wiring and added that in. all I have left now is the fusebox/relay stuff which is minimal at this point, and I was going to maybe reroute the harness to come out the backside of the engine instead of the front truck location. I found a spot in between the inner fender and outer fender that I can put the pcm/tac module box to keep things clean looking so that's nice.

I also made a piece to patch the original giant hole in the firewall for the steering column had to fit through. the new column only needs a small hole for the steering shaft so instead of like a 6"x7" piece its a 1" hole max lol.  got my oem mechanical gauge sensor adapters in so I can use the oem gauges which is exciting to me.  patched a few more holes in the process. im gonna try to relocate and condense all the holes that were already in the firewall so the bare minimum, some from me, some from previous owner, some from the factory. basically all I need is the fuel pump wiring, tac pedal wiring, original harness wiring, starter wiring, oil pressure and coolant temp gauge stuff,  the steering column column shaft hole and the column shifter cable.  I also need to finalize everything in the engine bay so I can drop the motor in finally this week. its the little dumb stuff that's going to make all the difference while the engine is still out. I need to make room for a new project coming my way next Monday so I need the garage space cleared out so my time is limited.  lol apparently I only make progress under pressure. its a wonder I get anything accomplished.

Offline tai-lun

« Reply #63 on: October 02, 2018, 03:01:05 AM »
Such a cool project, keep at it! Looking forward to hearing about more of the progresss.
Tai - 93 LS2 Ronin Widebody FD - rebuild time with ITB's soon... :banghead:
Build Thread: http://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=9172.0

Offline etizz

« Reply #64 on: October 02, 2018, 08:09:49 AM »
Well another quick update to make me feel like I accomplished something . Went to tidy up the harness more and move it towards the back. Started looming everything up . Taping it all up. Discovered that I somehow lost #6 injector wire 12v when I was tidying it up. So I had to strip it back . Also found i labeled a few things wrong lol. And somehow my coolant temp ground wire got cut out of the harness somewhere . So after fixing all that itís probably safe to say thereís nothing left to look at lol . So I taped everything back up. Got my 3 wires together for the fuse box 12v ign and the 1 wire for the 12v bat + ready . What a mess lol . If something isnít working right when I start it eventually Iíll know whoís fault it is thatís for sure lol. I donít think Iíll ever wanna go through that again lol. So next task will be preparing the firewall more and finding a place for the pcm and tac module so I can  get the engine ready to drop in finally . Iíll add the fuse box and relays once itís in the car. Whew .

Offline etizz

« Reply #65 on: October 03, 2018, 10:08:50 AM »

again, not the best photographer in the world but the engine harness is pretty much finished now other than a few little things. I worked more on the firewall stuff last night, mounted the dbw pedal, I don't hate the location but I don't really love it either but itll work lol. also mounted my tac module in a trick place , and found a spot for my pcm out of the way. so now I just need to finalize the fire wall stuff and my engine mounts and I can drop it in.

Offline digitalsolo

• Administrator
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • LS1FC.com
« Reply #66 on: October 03, 2018, 12:15:48 PM »
w00t, progress!
Blake MF'ing McBride
1988 Mazda RX7 - Turbo LS1/T56/ProEFI/8.8/Not Slow...   sold.
1965 Mustang Coupe - TT Coyote, TR6060, modern brakes/suspension...  project car
2013 Focus ST3 - Stage 1 BPU

Offline etizz

Re: 57 Buick Special 5.7 LS1 6L80E AWD
« Reply #67 on: January 08, 2019, 01:10:03 PM »
So....things have made an interesting turn. the more I thought about driving this car the more I didn't like the old suspension design, didn't like my brake issues I had with the disc conversion, don't like steering boxes, not sure the quality of the 8.8 swap design geometry, didn't like multiple bolt patterns.  thought about upgrading to better all that in a bunch of different ways.  ultimately it was way too much work for me to try to fabricate something like that and most options would quickly add up in price to do it all on top of that.  so I went to the next obvious choice.... 2008 escalade awd frame swap!  Right? well its close enough. got a hell of a deal on it. does everything I want it to . has that unique factor I like, and I can tow my other projects with this lol.   so before you talk me out of it I'm already in progress! lol will be bringing my buick over tonight to put the body on the rack and see what all I'm working with here. going to keep the bcm so abs and air ride etc should work.  sure it may look redneck when I'm done, but I'm tired of having this car in my garage and it hasn't moved in almost two years, its a little too large to be inop given my limited garage space as is. so wish me luck lol.
my friend towing the donor vehicle
some things I saved
body off the frame in less than a day, engine ready to come out for the guy I got it from(part of the deal), going to use my engine I already built with a 58x crank 4x cam so the pcm will like it, already did that.

Offline wickedrx7

« Reply #68 on: January 08, 2019, 01:39:50 PM »
That is very interesting to say the least. Will you be able to get relatively close ride height or is it going to look like a Trucar?

1993 Touring, 2012 L99, T-56, Ronnin 8.8, Ohlins, Speedhut, Samberg and lots of custom parts
Build Thread - http://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=19354.0
Pictures - www.flikr.com/wickedrx7

Offline etizz

« Reply #69 on: January 08, 2019, 01:56:35 PM »
My guess is i maybe be able to play off a gasser stance but Iím not sure. Iíll still be running the same wheels and tires thatís on the Buick already so Iím not going for the big mud tires or something lol. 

Offline freeskier7791

« Reply #70 on: January 08, 2019, 02:36:42 PM »
can't wait to see where this goes.  I hope you can get car like ride height, would be a sweet tow rig

Offline etizz

Re: 57 Buick Special GMT900 AWD Frame swap
« Reply #71 on: January 14, 2019, 11:31:00 AM »
got the buick to the shop and played some musical cars to get it in position. next up is swapping engines out while the bodys still off and then the buick surgery will commence.

Offline digitalsolo

• Administrator
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • LS1FC.com
Re: 57 Buick Special GMT900 AWD Frame swap
« Reply #72 on: January 14, 2019, 12:30:11 PM »
That's quite the conversion.   I'm excited to see how it goes!
Blake MF'ing McBride
1988 Mazda RX7 - Turbo LS1/T56/ProEFI/8.8/Not Slow...   sold.
1965 Mustang Coupe - TT Coyote, TR6060, modern brakes/suspension...  project car
2013 Focus ST3 - Stage 1 BPU