March 23, 2019, 12:37:45 PM

Author Topic: 57 Buick Special GMT900 AWD Frame swap  (Read 6010 times)

Offline screamin88

• Supporting Member
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
Re: 57 Buick Special 6.0 T56 8.8
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2017, 04:52:46 PM »
Wait, wait, wait.   Did you mount a stock throttle body vertical with a carb adapter to that manifold, to hide under an air cleaner?   That's some creative stuff right there.

Yep, that's definitely what's happening. I planned on doing the same thing when I build a rat rod someday.

Offline etizz

« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2017, 05:22:39 PM »
Wait, wait, wait.   Did you mount a stock throttle body vertical with a carb adapter to that manifold, to hide under an air cleaner?   That's some creative stuff right there.

funny since this is like the only picture I have of my "progress" I made lately. that's correct.
1957 Buick Special, LS1 08 ESCALADE AWD FRAME SWAP
WEIRD SAAB THING PROJECT TUBE CHASSIS REAR ENGINE V4 LS1 PCM CONTROL DBW EFI CNP IGNITION

Offline etizz

« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2017, 08:39:16 AM »
no pics, just doing boring stuff, got a belt on, hooked up a fuel filler neck, will need changed later but just want to get some gas in the tank to test start soon, wired my fuel pump sender and grounds, ran a line up for the 12v pump to the relay. need to connect that and key 12v and bat + to the box and I could start it, still need some oil in the engine before I do lawl. I fixed my engine mount for the last time on the passenger side, so my manifold fits, is bolted up, torqued, plugs gapped and in, plug wires on, dip stick  in. alternator wiring was lengthened so that should be the last of the harness except for the above mentioned which is exciting. ran my fuel line up to the rail, I need one short piece of efi rubber hose to connect from my hardline to the corvette fpr outlet, just haven't done it yet.   still need to fix the drivers side mount, mount that exhaust manifold, reassemble steering, fab my ps fluid reservoir, fill all fluids, fab some kind of exhaust, fab a shifter, get the driveshaft shortened, see whats left after that I guess.
WEIRD SAAB THING PROJECT TUBE CHASSIS REAR ENGINE V4 LS1 PCM CONTROL DBW EFI CNP IGNITION

Offline jasons

• Staged
  • Mr. Nice Guy
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2017, 11:36:58 AM »
This is so awesome! Fantastic car, fantastic build!
I can't wait to see more pictures and progress.
Nice job.
-Jason
There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'
-C. S. Lewis

Offline etizz

« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2017, 03:35:03 PM »

a few more pics of progress I snapped, again very bad at this lol, one is a my vacuum block made out of a fuel y block so I could have my map sensor, pcv and brake booster hooked up. one shows the front accessories, one shows the fuel pump assembly, and one shows the engine with the harness thru the firewall finally, that turned out nicely, will be no signs of a pcm or wiring on the inside either, wiring is done other than 12v key and constant battery power and ground, had to snake my fuel pump power wire up to the front, hook up the fuel tank gauge wire, and grounds for both on the frame

Offline digitalsolo

• Administrator
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • LS1FC.com
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2017, 06:49:06 PM »
Very cool!   I like the attention to detail!
Blake MF'ing McBride
1988 Mazda RX7 - Turbo LS1/T56/ProEFI/8.8/Not Slow...   sold.
1965 Mustang Coupe - TT Coyote, TR6060, modern brakes/suspension...  project car
2013 Focus ST3 - Stage 1 BPU

Offline etizz

« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2017, 03:55:28 PM »
update, only a few pics, ended up ordering a mgw shifter cuz I liked it so much with the mazda, plus it offsets the rod from the base for clearance purposes. went to install it and I just couldn't get it bolted down due to the bench seat, so I unbolted the seat, and plan to relocate back some so  it actually has some adjustment (it was all the way back so it would even clear the shifter) . I got a cheap ebay 12" shifter extension and a real 8 ball shift knob, and im loving how the shifter feels and I think ill like the location in relevance to the steering wheel once its back in , the longer rod helps me determine where the gears are a little better than when I had one in the mazda with a short stick.  Ill probably make a center console for the car eventually (cup holders, any extra gauges(boost?)) , but I ended up pulling up the front 60 yr old rubber mat and asbestos insulation and ill put down some carpet and some home depot dynamat for now at least . cleaned up the mess from the pics a lot haha, will take better pics once its a little further along.  still need to pull up the rear section too. nasty stuff there. I wired the rest of my engine harness (12v key, bat + , grnd), still need to tuck it up out of sight,  removed those aftermarket gauges that the PO installed, I dont think they look right for the car and im gonna try to make all the stock gauges work that I can.  wired my brake switch for the lights, sent my driveshaft out to be shortened , got my pedals modified from my friend so they don't swing and hit the floor at full travel . got my cooling fan on, shroud on, filled with coolant, put oil in the engine, modified my frame rail to flushly mount the steering box , mounted my custom pitman arm, hooked it up to the linkage, verified it doesn't hit the oil pan which is good haha. im sure im forgetting some things, its getting close though, biggest hurdles now are steering column mounting/bracing and coupler fab to the box, and exhaust and really everything else is pretty straight forward I guess. fingers crossed.  thanks for reading my rambling

Offline Burntz

• Staged
  • Just trying to ball on a budget
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2017, 05:21:37 PM »
the throttle body adaptation is sweet if it works right. how do you plan to adapt the air cleaner to it?
2014 Chevy Cruze Diesel - Cross country work machine. Deleted and tuned. 50mpg+
1999 Chevy Corvette - LG 1-3/4" Longtubes & H Pipe. Forgeline GA3's, H/C/I soon. Road course car.
1979 Mazda Rx7 - 5.3L / TH350 / 8.8" / Turbo. Ms3-Pro, E85.
PB Currently 5.97 @ 118  - 1/8 mi

Build thread ->http://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=7441.0

Offline etizz

« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2017, 02:35:56 PM »
current ideas for the air cleaner is to use the 4 carb plate studs, use some coupling nuts off of those and bolt down a larger "pad" that goes around the throttle body opening, with some kind of frame to bolt the air cleaner down. not really on my priorities at the moment but I will see what happens soon hopefully. the air cleaner itself being an "oil bath air cleaner" is bizarre in its own right, ill be hacking that up in general so well see what things look like after that. ill try to take pics of that whole deal cuz its weird to me

Offline Cobranut

« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2017, 11:17:23 PM »
current ideas for the air cleaner is to use the 4 carb plate studs, use some coupling nuts off of those and bolt down a larger "pad" that goes around the throttle body opening, with some kind of frame to bolt the air cleaner down. not really on my priorities at the moment but I will see what happens soon hopefully. the air cleaner itself being an "oil bath air cleaner" is bizarre in its own right, ill be hacking that up in general so well see what things look like after that. ill try to take pics of that whole deal cuz its weird to me

Looks like you could cut a couple slots in the top flange, slide a piece of bar stock through and seal it in place with epoxy.
A tapped hole in the middle to hold a stud, and you could bolt the air cleaner down as normal.   8)
You may have to make an adapter ring to get the correct diameter though.
1995 FD, 7.0 Liter stroked LS3, T56, 8.8, Samberg kit.

Offline etizz

« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2017, 08:07:33 AM »
Looks like you could cut a couple slots in the top flange, slide a piece of bar stock through and seal it in place with epoxy.
A tapped hole in the middle to hold a stud, and you could bolt the air cleaner down as normal.   8)
You may have to make an adapter ring to get the correct diameter though.

That's a good idea, hadn't thought of that thanks ill consider it once I get to that point. 

I feel like I didn't do much but it seems like big things were done at the same time lol. I pulled up the front flooring, scraped all the old insulation and shop vac'ed it all up, drilled new holes for my seat relocation back, I did 3 inches back, after testing that I think itll work ok.  Put my steering column back in on the front hanger to see what itll take to connect it to the steering box and mount the lower part of the column. reinstall my pedals to check how those worked out after modification and they look great, they actually sit completely flush with eachother fore and aft I dunno how I made that happen lol. played race car driver :drive: to see how the pedals , seat , steering wheel and shifter positioning all felt together and Im very happy with it, I think the only thing I may change is the shifter rod maybe being angled backward some if im being picky but just from cobbling all this together I think it couldn't have turned out better as a complete setup. side note: photobucket absolutely blows and its a complete pita to try to link pictures lol. also im under the impression either I have the worlds worst steady hand for pics or my camera on my phone is bad lol could be both. or the fact that most pictures have so much other crap in the photo that it cant focus correctly haha looking back at my previous photos im sensing a pattern

« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 08:13:27 AM by etizz »

Offline bikedad

• Supporting Member
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2017, 08:41:28 AM »
also im under the impression either I have the worlds worst steady hand for pics or my camera on my phone is bad lol could be both. or the fact that most pictures have so much other crap in the photo that it cant focus correctly haha looking back at my previous photos im sensing a pattern

For picture taking get a broom handle or something like it. Cut a straight cut at the top.  Rest your phone/camera on the straight cut with the bottom on a hard surface. Cheap monopod.  ;)

For inside the car or tight area pictures just use a shorter piece or cut a broom handle in half.

Always have the light behind you shining on the subject. Never behind the subject. Take the picture low instead of high. It gives it perspective and dimension. Watch the shadows and where they lay. Give the phone enough time to focus.
Use the highest resolution setting on your phone camera. It will pick up details you didn't know were there.
Save your pictures right here in the Gallery. and just copy and paste the "bbc embed code" to your post.

Samsung Galaxy S4 phone pictures

Don Teifke  :drive:
[smg id=8489]
"Life is tough.,, Life is even tougher if you're stupid."
-----John Wayne-----

Offline etizz

« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2017, 03:31:27 PM »
few updates, so this car wont run without new carpet right? BOOM.

lol it was one of those "well I have take the seat out to relocate the seat bolt holes back 3 inches for the shifter and might as well while I have the seat out" things, didn't take long.

I finally modified my motor mount on the drivers side....only to find out my manifold hits the steering box now and not the mount lol. so I cant modify cast iron manifolds.... soooo new headers are ordered that should fit now that I have the final result of what to look for. hopefully they will be here tomorrow, guess ill try to sell these manifolds, anyone interested? hooker ebay specials, actually pretty nice.  as you can see I have a clutch and brake pedal again, no gas pedal though, still wondering how im going to accomplish that, I have one that matches, and a spare rx7 one for that matter lol, just need to fab a piece to mount it to first.  I did fab a steering column connector to the box so its a u joint on one end and a 2 bolt flange for the column, waiting on a friend to weld that better than my crappy welder will do, should be this week.  got my driveshaft back today so that's going in so I can fill trans with fluid. so really if I get my headers tomorrow I will bolt on and try to test start this weekend. maybe im closer to test driving than I thought. that's exciting. hardest part left is making a power steering reservoir out of the original, don't think it will be too bad but im not sure if ill just use a temp solution to get it running if it turns out to be a big hurdle then fix it like I want later. well see. if I can test fire it this weekend ill find a trailer I can borrow and tow it to get an exhaust put on ASAP.

Offline digitalsolo

• Administrator
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • LS1FC.com
« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2017, 06:45:08 PM »
New carpet looks great!   I'm super jealous of how far along you are.
Blake MF'ing McBride
1988 Mazda RX7 - Turbo LS1/T56/ProEFI/8.8/Not Slow...   sold.
1965 Mustang Coupe - TT Coyote, TR6060, modern brakes/suspension...  project car
2013 Focus ST3 - Stage 1 BPU

Offline etizz

« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2017, 08:23:19 AM »
New carpet looks great!   I'm super jealous of how far along you are.

Thanks! and I'm glad im this far too but lets be real, im not completely reengineering the whole car like you are , nor doing body work lol. so im sure if you didn't have those steps youd be just as far if not farther.