June 20, 2019, 08:39:34 AM

Author Topic: 57 Buick Special GMT900 AWD Frame swap  (Read 6780 times)

Offline freeskier7791

Re: 57 Buick Special 6.0 T56 8.8
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2017, 02:16:25 PM »
can you fit rams horns?  May be the cheapest option for now

Offline digitalsolo

• Administrator
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • LS1FC.com
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2017, 02:33:32 PM »
I like the idea of the cast manifolds, hit them with some cast coat VHT and they'd look pretty stock.   Nice clearance too.
Blake MF'ing McBride
1988 Mazda RX7 - Turbo LS1/T56/ProEFI/8.8/Not Slow...   sold.
1965 Mustang Coupe - TT Coyote, TR6060, modern brakes/suspension...  project car
2016 BMW 428i xDrive Gran Coupe - Completely stock...ish

Offline etizz

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2017, 08:40:53 AM »
Well one step forward two steps back haha. I cut the floor for the shifter hole so I could get the angle of the driveline looking better and actually mount the trans crossmember. Only to realize that my shifter is pretty much under the seat with it all the way back lol. So I moved the whole driveline forward an inch or two to where I could at least put the shifter base on, although the stock shifter might be too much throw in the end to not hit stuff while shifting.  This process may sounds easy, but keep in mind I had to worry about 60 year old insulation setting on fire (which I may have had a scare there) while I was initially cutting the floor. I used a sawzall for the rest to minimize potential fire hazards lol although its not the nicest looking cut.  That was somewhat good progress , but ill have to make a new trans crossmember due to the location shift forward.  Not a big deal, but now my engine mounts I made are not lining up, so I had to fab some more engine mounts. I'm not finished with them yet, just have to mate them with a plate that bolts to the stock ls location again and it should be good.  They look like they'll be stronger than the old cobbled together first attempt mess anyway.  I also discovered that my new mount design and location will let me use my headers I have with no issues hitting the steering box or anywhere else, so that's exciting.  I'm ready to get the engine mounted for good then I can start really making progress to get it done.
1957 Buick Special, LS1 08 ESCALADE AWD FRAME SWAP
WEIRD SAAB THING PROJECT TUBE CHASSIS REAR ENGINE V4 LS1 PCM CONTROL DBW EFI CNP IGNITION

Offline etizz

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2017, 11:29:43 AM »
I had to make my final motor mount design, but still havent had time to implement it. hopefully will tonight. as well as my trans cross member.

i unexpectedly sold my headers i had over the weekend to a friend looking for some. so i ordered the cast iron manifolds that look more period correct , definitely should clear no issues.

got my intake/fuel injectors/rails in. still had to modify those to work for some reason and make several trips to the hardware store for bolts because they didn't give me the right stuff lol but theyre on there now. then its ready for one fuel line to be ran up from the fue filter to be connected and fuel system is complete. then i only have all the other systems! lol

so for a list maybe of what is left for my own reference lol
fuel: above mentioned, install a flex hose for the filler neck.  good to go.

brakes: make hose from front brake splitter to master with the correct fittings so no adapters. modify brake pedal angle . bleed, check and done. i was going to try to adapt a pressure switch for the stock brake lights but the brake pedal assembly has a switch on the pedals so ill just wire that instead of all the connection adaptors for that.

steering: waiting on a pitman arm from partsmike in CA, should be here next week. clearance slightly for the steering box, mount it for good. fab a u joint to steering column adapter. try to hang steering column, make a brace as needed. run ps lines once pump is on

engine: still needs an alternator and ps pump, brackets, plugs, wires , throttle body after my friend makes my adapter plate, figure out throttle cable , mount gas pedal.  my standalone harness should be here tomorrow so itll just be a few wires and itll be ready to go. fill with oil and try to start it as long as i have fuel system done and the drive train mounted.

drivetrain:
trans fluid filled, driveshaft potentially shortened, swap yokes, shifter made for bench seat clearance.

cooling:
connect upper and lower hoses, see what fan option would be best.

exhaust:
mount manifolds, fab something lol
WEIRD SAAB THING PROJECT TUBE CHASSIS REAR ENGINE V4 LS1 PCM CONTROL DBW EFI CNP IGNITION

Offline freeskier7791

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2017, 01:10:56 PM »
nice list, speedway has a nice set of the intermediate tubes if you are using ramshorn style manifolds that may save you some bending.

Offline 65imp

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2017, 03:07:55 PM »
If you are considering truck accessory brackets I have an extra setup with powersteering pump from my Caddy build.  I think I have an alternator as well. 

For the accelerator pedal and cable I went with this one from Lokar:
http://www.classicperform.com/tech_articles/FloorIt/FloorIt.htm
and this throttle cable:
http://www.classicperform.com/Store/Pedals_Cables/TC1000HT.htm
which is a lot cheaper than the similar lokar piece. 

Just a couple options for ya.  Looking like good progress in here.
absolute power corrupts absolutely  :yay:
93 FD widebody - destroked
69 Suburban - positive manifold pressure
65 Impala - 5.7
59 cad  - WIP
53 spartan - shed status

Offline etizz

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2017, 08:26:41 AM »
finally free from its chains! lol overall fit is pretty good, still making trans crossmember but im happy with it, what a PITA lol.

put the radiator back in, put the battery in, as you can tell ran most of the harness just haven't ran it thru the car yet, put coils on, some progress is better than no progress lol

Online wickedrx7

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2017, 09:03:27 AM »
So much room for turbos. 🙂

1993 Touring, 2012 L99, T-56, Ronnin 8.8, Ohlins, Speedhut, Samberg and lots of custom parts
Build Thread - http://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=19354.0
Pictures - www.flikr.com/wickedrx7

Offline etizz

« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2017, 03:11:00 PM »

next little piece added, not sure how im going to to do the same on the other size (read: blower housing in the way lol) well see.
also my friend mated my two pieces for me for my throttle body

put my power steering pump on and part of my alternator bracket I could without the alternator, got that today in the mail, keep plugging away.  I wish I was good at taking pictures like most people on the internet lol I just suck at it

Offline freeskier7791

« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2017, 08:22:22 AM »
I like the coil covers, could you get clearance by jacking up one side of the engine?  How many weeks do you have left till the wedding?

Offline etizz

« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2017, 08:47:03 AM »
thanks, I could maybe lower the passenger side if I took the mount off, I really don't want to at this point lol. engine doesn't have to be pretty right now. wedding is may 19th so its coming up haha

Offline freeskier7791

« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2017, 01:24:12 PM »
thanks, I could maybe lower the passenger side if I took the mount off, I really don't want to at this point lol. engine doesn't have to be pretty right now. wedding is may 19th so its coming up haha

Yea I would wait too haha.

Offline etizz

« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2017, 01:22:29 PM »
OK  quick update, not really any pictures , so I had to modify my engine mounts AGAIN lol  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: my cast manifold was hitting them so I had to lower them, need to get some beefier bolts for them now but its sitting where it should and my exhaust manifolds can be bolted on. got my alternator on, need to lengthen the wires, that plug into that, not a big deal. measured for my belt, just need to get one, I actually had one at the store and forgot to checkout with it lol. decided ill probably just use an electric fan but hide it with the factory shroud, cooling system is pretty much done other than 1 steam tube fitting and some clamps.  haven't had much time to work on it lately I was out of town,  but ill hopefully make some progress this weekend. I did install the engine harness on the engine, all sensors are hooked up other than o2's, main power is ran other than adding one cable from positive to alternator stud, and then running my fuel pump wire, and hooking up 12v key on, still trying to figure out how I should route the harness into the car. not really a big concern yet, I could leave it in the engine bay for now and fix it later. throttle body is on, need to fab a bracket for the cable, and for the pedal, and get a cable lol, I could keep going and going but ill just update later with some more progress instead of whats to come

Offline digitalsolo

• Administrator
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • LS1FC.com
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2017, 02:06:43 PM »
Wait, wait, wait.   Did you mount a stock throttle body vertical with a carb adapter to that manifold, to hide under an air cleaner?   That's some creative stuff right there.
Blake MF'ing McBride
1988 Mazda RX7 - Turbo LS1/T56/ProEFI/8.8/Not Slow...   sold.
1965 Mustang Coupe - TT Coyote, TR6060, modern brakes/suspension...  project car
2016 BMW 428i xDrive Gran Coupe - Completely stock...ish

Offline freeskier7791

« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2017, 03:22:40 PM »
Wait, wait, wait.   Did you mount a stock throttle body vertical with a carb adapter to that manifold, to hide under an air cleaner?   That's some creative stuff right there.

Just saw that, way cool if that is what is going on.