July 12, 2020, 05:52:19 AM

Author Topic: AV8rZ (Refine, Enjoy, Drive) Build  (Read 17495 times)

Offline AV8rZ

Re: AV8rZ (Refine, Enjoy, Drive) Build
« Reply #60 on: September 25, 2017, 10:45:34 PM »
Awesome update!  Looking good!
Thank you Sir, getting there
Hey throw us the part number please!

Also what size grill did you get, did you install it as 1 piece or 3 pieces?
i think Iím going to to buy a couple just to have for sure!

On the grill mesh, I bought the 16Ēx48Ē sheet and installed 5 different pieces.  Your bumper may be more or less depending on what you have obviously.  I cut each piece for each opening.  You almost have to due to the way the cutouts are in the back.  Iíll try and remember to take some pics behind the bumper but Iím out of town for a funeral at the moment. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Donthitme

« Reply #61 on: September 26, 2017, 11:39:56 AM »
thanks! you did such a good job it looks like it was 1 peice!

Offline AV8rZ

AV8rZ (Refine, Enjoy, Drive) Build
« Reply #62 on: October 07, 2017, 11:12:51 AM »
Finally worked up the courage to convert my HVAC panel lighting to LED.  Unfortunately there wasnít much info in the DIY step by step on this with good pictures so Iím going to do a pic heavy post for the future of the community.  Luckily there is however a thread on the RX7club with all the lights needed though. 

I had never pulled my HVAC panel so I didnít know what everything looked like on the backside.  I owe kinger a HUGE Thank You because he just so happened to have a spare HVAC panel that I could reference.  It was trashed but allowed me to see the inner parts and workings.  It also allowed me to familiarize myself and memorize what went where, kinda.  It wasnít fully intact but it was enough.  Thank you sir! 

Detailed pics of my panel

I ordered the lights from SuperBrightLEDS.com.  Have had good luck with them.  I bought the 360í 74 for the backlighting and the NEO3 for the buttons.  Cool white with a red one for the Hazard Button.

All disassembled.  Johnny #5

New Gauge Dial Faces from BlackCatCustoms.  Thanks halfspec for the reference!  The only thing I donít necessarily care for is the Blue and Red didnít match my 1994 but other than that these are awesome.  I do personally like the 1994 better but thatís splitting hairs at this point!  I think they gave me both fan speeds to be safe.

Old yellow vs new clear!

Installed!

I was concerned about hot spots from the LED backlights so I got some small mirrors from Hobby Lobby and hot glued them on the backside to help reflect light. 

Amazingly my plastics came apart and went back together pretty easy.  I think that has to do with the fact my car is a 1994 plus being in great condition and being taken care of over the years.  Every time I work on my car I am reminded how good of condition it really is in and I thank God I spent the extra money on it.  These are the kind of things you canít put a value on because they are so rare and make owning a car like this so much more enjoyable!  With that said I purchased som Plast-aid beforehand to be safe.  A few of my screw holes were not in the greatest shape so I used this for some reinforcement.  I cut straws for a mold.  Borrowed idea from four, Thank you sir!
I reassembled everything, plugged it in the car and only half of my panel lit up!  I was like ďoh *$&#@ what did I breakĒ?  Even though the lights are not supposed to be polarity sensitive I thought maybe just by chance they were.  I turned the 74 lights around that werenít working and BAM, it worked!  My Hazard button light wasnít working but that just ended up being the bulb.  I luckily had ordered 2 red ones to be safe.  The finished product!

Sorry for the terrible pictures but you get the idea.  The very first pic is with the dimmer on low and you can see the difference. 

I think the mirrors really helped for sure because I donít have any hotspots and the light is very even.  Only the defrost symbol is slightly less bright but you can barely tell. 

The hardest part was unplugging the inner small plug on the backside.  That thing was terrible!  Also removing the old yellow coating from the gauge face was very difficult too.  I used everything (paint thinner, lacquer thinner, xylol, oven cleaner, acetone) and what worked the best was Turtle Wax label and sticker remover.  I still had to scrub with a toothbrush and my fingernail but it finally worked.  That was over an hour in itself! 

This was tedious but I am very glad I did it!  Now along with having HID headlights, the entire car from front to back, interior and exterior is lighted by LED!  Well, when the new gauges go in it will be! 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 01:39:35 PM by AV8rZ »

Offline AV8rZ

« Reply #64 on: October 08, 2017, 07:14:13 PM »
Nice work Curtis. I know from experience that those BlackCatCustoms overlays are a much harder install than most would think.
I also like the mirror idea. Thinking outside the box  :cheers:

Lane
Thank you sir!  I did hear or read the mirror idea somewhere but I canít remember where so I canít take full credit but it did seem to work pretty good.  Not perfect but I think itís better than it would have been had I not put the mirrors in. 

Your LED work in your car inspired this and no way would I have been able to do it without your guidance in your build thread so hats off to you!

Offline markfluko

« Reply #65 on: October 11, 2017, 12:24:19 AM »
Wow man, great job. Looks real bright and nicely packaged.

Offline AV8rZ

« Reply #66 on: October 11, 2017, 08:53:48 AM »
Wow man, great job. Looks real bright and nicely packaged.
Thank you! 

It actually isnít that bright in person, but for some reason the pictures make it appear that way.  I wish the pictures were better and showed how they really look so it doesnít scare people from doing this.  I believe itís because of them being white in color and the iPhone camera enhanced the light.  I have sensitive eyes at night and the brightness doesnít bother me at all. 

Iíll get a much better idea when my new gauges go back in so I can compare them all lit up together.  I canít wait!

Offline Four

« Reply #67 on: October 12, 2017, 01:55:35 PM »
Excellent work on the LEDs for the HVAC. That is one of my peeves as well and will have to get mine changed out.

Glad to help with the straw idea. Works great!

Offline AV8rZ

« Reply #68 on: October 13, 2017, 10:21:30 AM »
Excellent work on the LEDs for the HVAC. That is one of my peeves as well and will have to get mine changed out.

Glad to help with the straw idea. Works great!

Thanks man, youíll be glad you did!

Offline VladtheSmiter

« Reply #69 on: October 16, 2017, 12:10:45 PM »
Nice job on the plastaid fix, makes me want to blow apart all my interior and fix all my broken mounts I hot-glued back together.
93 RX7 R1:416 LS3 Stroker/T56 530whp/500ftlbs  :drive: <--Wrecked
94 RX7 <--Flooded  :banghead:  >:(
94 RX7: 416ci LS3 Stroker/T56 Magnum/ 3.73 8.8" IRS Widebody <--In progress (KEEPER CAR)
93 RX7: LS1/T56/upgraded stock rear<---SOLD
93 RX7: currently roller (future budget track car)

Offline Four

« Reply #70 on: October 16, 2017, 12:52:52 PM »
Nice job on the plastaid fix, makes me want to blow apart all my interior and fix all my broken mounts I hot-glued back together.

It works great. I have gone through 2 bottles fixing all my little issues

Offline bstallion

• In The Bleach Box
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 24, 2017, 11:17:45 PM »
I dig the lights.. and that shift knob..

Offline AV8rZ

« Reply #72 on: December 24, 2017, 11:43:53 PM »
I dig the lights.. and that shift knob..
Thanks brother, canít wait to cruise alongside yours too!

Offline kinger

« Reply #73 on: January 15, 2018, 12:52:14 PM »
Looks amazing man!!!!  Your welcome on the cluster glad it helped.
93 Touring, 6.3L, T56 Magnum, Mamo RPS BC2 clutch, FAST 90, NW 90TB TB, 8.8, samberg everything, AC, PS, TC, Cruise, LED Tails, HID head lights

Offline AV8rZ

« Reply #74 on: January 15, 2018, 08:25:15 PM »
Looks amazing man!!!!  Your welcome on the cluster glad it helped.
Thank you, hope you enjoyed your goodies