August 21, 2019, 05:40:17 AM

Author Topic: AV8rZ (Refine, Enjoy, Drive) Build  (Read 12613 times)

Offline AV8rZ

Re: AV8rZ (Refine, Enjoy, Drive) Build
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2017, 09:10:32 AM »
Now just to get some bigger rubber on the car so it isn't all over the place when you gas it.  :punch: I'd go wider and taller personally. You have the space to fit them.

Just give them a nice 45 second burnout and tell your wife they're bald and need changing.  :secret:
I need to get better tires for sure!  Spins in 4th as you obviously know, lol.  Hopefully in the Fall I will be able to afford to re-barrel the wheels and get some rubber that can handle the power. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline AV8rZ

« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2017, 11:09:58 AM »
Did a full interior and exterior LED bulb swap.  They all turned out fantastic, especially the reverse lights.  They will blind you if you look at them and you can actually see while backing up! 

I did have to do the circuit board mod for the turn signals but all I did was snip the wire, no need to add a resistor!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline AV8rZ

AV8rZ (Refine, Enjoy, Drive) Build
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2017, 11:29:55 AM »
When I first bought the car I wasn't sure about the Ganador Mirrors.  The little mirrors with the wide fenders were throwing my sense of symmetry off a little.  Secondly was the ability to actually see out of them.  At their full adjustment i still had to lean over a little to see out of them, especially the passenger side.  When Eric (grandmighty) announced he was having some custom made that were going to be concave AND blue tinted, I was all in.  So I ordered them. 

While waiting on them to be completed I noticed mine already appeared to be concave.  This is what I found
Sure enough mine were already concave.  So I told Eric and he said that he knew some were made with concave lenses but only knew of them for Honda cars.  I still went through because I was sure Eric's would be good no matter what and the blue tint would match the blue in my car too.  Final product with comparison.

You can really see the difference in the color of the lenses and the concave shape in the last pictures.  After installing them I noticed the new ones are more concave and I can see better out of them vs the old.  I no longer have to lean to see out of the passenger side.  While it wasn't a huge improvement it was just enough but the quality of the glass was easy to see!  This was a great investment.

Offline AV8rZ

« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2017, 11:52:23 AM »
Car went up on jacks for about a month due to a small radiator leak.  I have the Samberg and found out this is a real problem with many Samberg Radiators.  On top of that he offers no support in repairing them or getting it fixed!  You've been warned!  See the thread titled "RADIATOR LEAK FROM CRACKED CORE" and you will find more info.  Luckily there is someone (VITOMAN1977) working on a new setup.

After much research here and Facebook, and more opinions than I can count, I found out from Earl Schexnayder (guy who tuned car and builds dragsters for a living) that the AC Delco tabs are perfectly safe and work great!  So I tried them and after a few days of driving and letting the tabs do their thing I don't have a leak anymore.  As everything else it may be temporary but that could mean 20+ years so I am thankful the car is on the road again. 

My leak was small and I caught it right away so I'm sure that played a role as well.  For more info read both mine and others comments in the thread mentioned earlier in this post. 

Offline Nfinitecc

• Staged
  • [URL=http://s919.photobucket.com/user/WCStanford/m
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2017, 12:35:09 PM »
I had to put tabs in mine after only 50 miles, been over 4,000 on it now, no leaks, seems to be a pretty solid fix.

Offline Four

« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2017, 01:36:59 PM »
Excellent read so far. Dale seemed like a good guy, the few times I talked to him. I am happy to see the car is still on the forum and getting future updates. Ill be following along.

Cheers!  :cheers:

Offline FC3S Murray

« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2017, 08:31:04 PM »
Man this is such a beautiful FD. XLR8 did such a fantastic job maintaining the paint.

What was the price on your coilovers? I am contemplating upgrading to a higher quality setup.

8 years and still running STRONG!

Offline AV8rZ

« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2017, 10:24:30 PM »
Man this is such a beautiful FD. XLR8 did such a fantastic job maintaining the paint.

What was the price on your coilovers? I am contemplating upgrading to a higher quality setup.
The paint does have some minor imperfections that I wish didn't exist but they are minor and easily overlooked.  The only ones that weren't there are new rock chips on the front bumper, but that's because I do drive the car.  XLR8 owned the car more than 8 years and only put about 5000 miles on it during that time.  Crazy!

Coilovers were $2k and by far were the best money spent so far.  I am so glad I did.  They make the car ride so good!  Wouldn't hesitate if I were you FWIW.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 10:39:42 PM by AV8rZ »

Offline VladtheSmiter

« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2017, 11:16:59 AM »
You should maybe consider some sort of paint protection film or ceramic coating to prevent further rockchips etc. On top of making the paint harder to damage, the ceramic stuff is pretty much rain-x for paint. Give Hi Performance Detail a call. The owner Andrew is one of the main guys setting up the cars n coffee meets locally, really good guy. That's my plan for once my car is done and paint is cured at least.
93 RX7 R1:416 LS3 Stroker/T56 530whp/500ftlbs  :drive: <--Wrecked
94 RX7 <--Flooded  :banghead:  >:(
94 RX7: 416ci LS3 Stroker/T56 Magnum/ 3.73 8.8" IRS Widebody <--In progress (KEEPER CAR)
93 RX7: LS1/T56/upgraded stock rear<---SOLD
93 RX7: currently roller (future budget track car)

Offline AV8rZ

« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2017, 12:35:06 PM »
You should maybe consider some sort of paint protection film or ceramic coating to prevent further rockchips etc. On top of making the paint harder to damage, the ceramic stuff is pretty much rain-x for paint. Give Hi Performance Detail a call. The owner Andrew is one of the main guys setting up the cars n coffee meets locally, really good guy. That's my plan for once my car is done and paint is cured at least.
I have something in the works, I'll fill you I. When we get together.  I think you're gonna benefit from it too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline AV8rZ

« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2017, 10:06:52 PM »
Wife and kids are out of town so I finally have some time to update my thread.

I actually HATE this part of it all but I feel that it is paramount for this community and my car!  The level of documentation on my car was the main reason I was so comfortable in not only purchasing it,   but paying a premium as well so I plan to keep it going.  Almost 10 years now with ZERO secrets or unknowns!

So my main goals in owning this particular car or any "fun" car I will ever own will not change.  Quality, functionality, reliability, and individuality.  My $0.02. Who gives a shit about how great something looks or wins car shows if it doesn't work and isn't practical.  Whoever gets my car after I'm done with it will not be disappointed, that's all I can say!

So I've driven the car MAYBE 500 miles at most.  All I really care about is feeling my neck snap and pulling G's from a stop to about 60-80 mph and I'm good.  I can't afford a reckless driving charge or my career will be over, so no street racing for me. 

So for drivability my next mod was HID Retrofit Headlights.  Now I don't plan on driving my car much at night but one of my biggest pet peeves in life is struggling to see because of poor lights. 

What prompted this was me driving home one evening and needing to use my lights.  When I flipped them on I was pissed!  I decided then I had to do something.

So I bought the clear lens housings off eBay and the HID kit from The Retrofit Source.  I can't say enough positives about them and their customer service!  And no I'm not getting anything for talking about them in return, it's just the truth!

This will be a pic dump but I will try and explain all in writing. 

Lights and buying from eBay were great.  Same with TRS. 

Many people helped me in this including 802projects and Truong Tran, but Truong is still rocking the Doritos so he's not on this forum yet. 

I will say this isn't rocket science but it was intimidating for me.  Many write-ups have been done and you can find that info there but I will share my personal experience.

1.  A lot more grinding was required than I expected
2.  It is EXTREMELY difficult to keep dust particles out
3.  There is no need for the extra glue TRS recommends!  (Biggest frustration)
4.  Perfectionism will be the death of me!

So I stripped the chrome finish with Easy Off Heavy Duty oven cleaner.  Al I did was spray it on and let it sit for about 2 minutes, then rinsed off.  Easy! 

I painted them satin black at first but that ended up showing too many imperfections for me so I went with Flat Black and turned out great. 

TRS recommends extra glue so I bought some.  They say heat it up in oven, stretch it thin and put an additional line around the housing.  I did this.  Problem is this; When I put the cover/lens back on with the extra glue, it seeped out WAY too much and you can see on the inside of the housing.  You will see this if you look close in the pics.  This affects absolutely nothing but drives me nuts.  That is until drove around the neighborhood with the new lights.  WOW is all I have to say.  And I went with the smallest upgrade TRS had for our cars, the Mini H1. 

Now I am all about supporting our community and would have bought from SakeBomb if I could have but I went this route.  I will agree with them and say I'm sure these aren't as nice and perfect as SakeBomb does for sure, but they are far better than stock and allow me to see at night now while driving the FD.

I also baked my headlights at 275 for about 12-15 minutes, 225 didn't cut it.

Also, I have about $450-$500 total in these.

There is more to come!

« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 09:32:00 PM by AV8rZ »

Offline Four

« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2017, 11:08:07 AM »
For someone that said they didnt have a lot of experience turning a wrench, you look like you are doing a fine job!

Glad to see another good review of the Ohlins. I have them sitting in a box in my office. They are assembled, but just waiting as there are other things going on with the build.

If you have any issues with the LEDs you purchased, check out Diode Dynamics. I used to order LEDs from various places until I found them and haven't looked back. Every light I have purchased has lasted and not a single issue with them.

Nice chatting the other day. Its nice to learn who people actually are.

Offline markfluko

« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2017, 11:35:01 AM »
Nice! Looking good.

Offline kinger

« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2017, 12:22:20 PM »
Nice!  You and I are in the same boat, we arguably bought the two highest quality swaps on the market!  Like you love I to wrench, tinker, modify but have little time.  Its funny how our 'perfect' swaps that are highly documented still require tinkering.  For me its perfect (the minor tinkering) but on paper you and I should just be able to turn key and drive LOL totally not the case in either of our circumstances. 

If you watch my thread I am continually 'tweaking' and refining my car.  I had a no start issue as well as the car was being unloaded at delivery!  Mine was simple it was the clutch interlock switch and I bypassed and car starts perfect now. 

I like you had to adjust the top of my budget to get the quality of the car I did and boy am I glad I did!  I think a lessor build would force guys like us (OCDs) into WAY more money out. 

The car is simply epic, I mean the look of it, the performance of it they are insane and I actually enjoy fixing small things like my sunroof switch broke, etc because it fits into my little time windows between when kids go to bed but before I go to bed.  No major engine trans swaps will happen with my schedule.  There is no doubt these cars are special and will be very hard if not impossible to duplicate with any other model/swap/mod.  I spent 8 years looking for the perfect one and found it can couldn't be happier. 

Good luck with yours! 
93 Touring, 6.2L, 415/425 Whp/Wtq, 8.8, samberg everything, AC, PS, TC, Cruise, LED Tails, HID head lights, immaculate interior and paint.

Offline AV8rZ

« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2017, 06:23:45 PM »
Nice! Looking good.
Thank You!
Nice!  You and I are in the same boat, we arguably bought the two highest quality swaps on the market!  Like you love I to wrench, tinker, modify but have little time.  Its funny how our 'perfect' swaps that are highly documented still require tinkering.  For me its perfect (the minor tinkering) but on paper you and I should just be able to turn key and drive LOL totally not the case in either of our circumstances. 

If you watch my thread I am continually 'tweaking' and refining my car.  I had a no start issue as well as the car was being unloaded at delivery!  Mine was simple it was the clutch interlock switch and I bypassed and car starts perfect now. 

I like you had to adjust the top of my budget to get the quality of the car I did and boy am I glad I did!  I think a lessor build would force guys like us (OCDs) into WAY more money out. 

The car is simply epic, I mean the look of it, the performance of it they are insane and I actually enjoy fixing small things like my sunroof switch broke, etc because it fits into my little time windows between when kids go to bed but before I go to bed.  No major engine trans swaps will happen with my schedule.  There is no doubt these cars are special and will be very hard if not impossible to duplicate with any other model/swap/mod.  I spent 8 years looking for the perfect one and found it can couldn't be happier. 

Good luck with yours!
Yes, I am very happy I chose to spend a little more for a well sorted car.  I would probably not have bought the car from pictures alone though due to all the MB hate out there, lol.  It's just a car you have to see in person to truly appreciate it!  I wanted a black one, haha.  But I love my MB FD and all the things that make it unique such as the front bumper.  I've really grown to appreciate this car for sure.

The wrenching that fits me is in the "Optional" category and not the "Mandatory" category.  My skill level is low so it's easy for me to get overwhelmed and frustrated from hitting a brick wall.  I really enjoy seeing this car grow and get even better too.

The OCD thing is tough.  It's hard for me to find the balance between making the car better and more refined, and being too nervous about driving it or working on it so I don't mess something up.  You unfortunately understand that all you have to do is breath on our paint wrong for it to get a defect.  I will hopefully be addressing that soon enough though.
For someone that said they didnt have a lot of experience turning a wrench, you look like you are doing a fine job!

Glad to see another good review of the Ohlins. I have them sitting in a box in my office. They are assembled, but just waiting as there are other things going on with the build.

If you have any issues with the LEDs you purchased, check out Diode Dynamics. I used to order LEDs from various places until I found them and haven't looked back. Every light I have purchased has lasted and not a single issue with them.

Nice chatting the other day. Its nice to learn who people actually are.
it was great talking to you as well!  I too enjoy meeting people on the forum from behind the curtain.

Thank you for LED info, I'm sure it will come in handy someday.

As far as turning wrenches I am definitely a rookie but unfortunately I usually defeat myself before I ever get started for 2 reasons.  Fear is one and my perfectionism is the other.  If it won't be perfect I don't even want to try it.  I'm working on all that though!

No doubt the Ohlins were probably the best investment so far, you're going to love them.  The only change I will probably make with mine is lower them just a little once I get my wheels flush.