April 14, 2021, 09:10:45 PM

Author Topic: XJ Frame Stiffeners (or how to waste time on side projects)  (Read 20008 times)

Offline Cobranut

Re: XJ Frame Stiffeners (or how to waste time on side projects)
« Reply #105 on: September 01, 2019, 11:46:13 PM »
Just dealt with a similar situation on my boat. Finally got it fixed after having it on and off 3 times and the pump repair shop twice.

Pump comes off in 20 mins, but cleaning the PS fluid out of the bilge sucks.

One more reason I love outboards, especially the 2-stroke racing motors. 😎

The newer 4 strokes are pretty bad ass. The new 450 V8s rip!

Maybe, but a 500 pound outboard motor would sink the type of boats I used to run.  :o LOL
1995 FD, 7.0 Liter stroked LS3, T56, 8.8, Samberg kit.

Offline frijolee

« Reply #106 on: March 11, 2021, 06:45:18 PM »
You guys seem to like my side projects so I figured I'll keep posting on the Jeep too.  Figured I should catch up on some maintenance and such. 

Replaced my valve cover gasket to solve a leak.  Yeah my power steering still leaks too but I at least have a plan on that score (more on that later).

I always scrape the surfaces to remove old residue, if using a blade you need a shallow angle or you’ll nick it.

NAPA gasket:

This video was helpful for the process:

BUT viewer beware!  He called out the 1/4-20 fasterners as 17 ft-lbs.  That’s wrong!  It should be 7 ft-lbs. 

Guess what happens when you check your brain at the door and just follow along with the video…  Yeah, you prove the torque spec is wrong the hard way.

Thankfully I was able to get this back out without too much difficulty and it was better the hardware failed than had it ripped the thread out of the head.

I replaced several door checks that had the pins had wallowed out the holes.  Before digging this up, I couldn’t have told you a “door check” was named a door check, so now you know too.

Jack stands and square tubing make for a nice alignment rig.

Clear coat on my roof was failing.  I’d had the hood resprayed before but I gave that some love as well.  Apparently this was a while back since my little helper already has her front teeth back in.

Coming up, a review on LED headlights…  Certainly one of the best bang for the buck mods I’ve made.

I also need to go through all my front end bushings as I’m developing a clunk that needs some attention. 

I also managed to bend a control arm on some lava.  Anyone have suggestion on whether I leave it alone or try to bend it back?  I do have a 20 ton press.

Hope this finds you all well and happy wrenchin'
-Joel
LS2 stroker FC, Mandeville big brakes, widebody, etc
Build thread:  http://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=1274.0
www.roninspeedworks.com

LargeOrangeFont says: "Joel is right, and I love Joel. But his car sounds like the wrath of God."   ;)

Offline Cobranut

« Reply #107 on: March 11, 2021, 09:55:53 PM »
OMG Joel, that pic of your daughter sanding the roof is the cutest kid pic I think I've ever seen.  :D :bacon:

You're certainly raising them right.  8)

Offline digitalsolo

• Administrator
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • LS1FC.com
« Reply #108 on: March 12, 2021, 09:27:10 AM »
I vote try and straighten it.  It’d bug me anyway.  :)

Great to see some progress on the XJ!
Blake MF'ing McBride
1988 Mazda RX7 - Turbo LS1/T56/ProEFI/8.8/Not Slow...   sold.
1965 Mustang Coupe - TT Coyote, TR6060, modern brakes/suspension...  project car
2016 BMW 428i xDrive Gran Coupe - Completely stock...ish

Offline freeskier7791

« Reply #109 on: March 18, 2021, 02:52:05 PM »
I would be concerned snapping or severely comprising the threaded portion when you bend it back.  I imagine the threaded part is harder than regular steel and more brittle
https://www.youtube.com/thedriftingdad
1985 Mazda RX7 GSL Drift Car

CCVT

Offline frijolee

« Reply #110 on: March 19, 2021, 10:06:16 PM »
I reached out to BDS suspensions who made the lift to see what they say...  I agree if it has a temper or heat treat I'd need to be extra careful.  In the meantime: another review for y'all.

Headlights:

Bought some bitchin LED headlights.  https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BWBRDJ5/

These ones are brand Afeax and use Osram LED chips.  Pretty sure they’re a JW Speaker knock off.  Honestly, it might be the highest bang for the buck mod I’ve done on the Jeep.  $86 shipped, it’s awesome.

We’re doing the country living thing out here on the Big Island so the last street light is more than a mile from my place.  It’s DARK at night (I mean I work in astronomy so I know that’s why we’re all here, but still…)

Before shot…  Kinda anemic.

Install is pretty straightforward, you just have to pull some trim and the support rings.

The lights come with surprisingly good packaging and they literally drop right in.

Big difference (both before and after are low beams only)…

One surprise I didn’t know about, the light have a bit of a daytime running light affect that’s always on.  Kinda cool in a Vin Diesel, Pitch Black/Chronicles of Riddick kinda of way.

The new headlights mean I finally get to throw light sabers at the sky.

Here’s a quick shot of the pattern out wheeling…  Pardon the slightly out of focus shot but it was fun chasing this wild boar for ~300 yards up the road.  He couldn’t give a rip that I was following him. 

The pattern is a touch blotchy and I wish they cast a little more light to the sides but overall, it’s such a massive improvement I can’t complain.  $86!!!

Night run with some buddies…  Used a flashlight to paint the foreground and that turned out pretty cool.

One twist I didn’t think about before doing headlights.  Having serious light being cast below your line of sight is better for technical wheeling.  Your elevated vantage point (relative to the lights) means you see shadows on the far side of rocks and such.  By comparison a roof mounted light bar has light thrown from above your line of sight so you can’t see the shadows and lose a good bit of your depth perception.

I actually had a friend give me a light bar so I’ll probably mount it up regardless (more lumens down range is still good for running fast) but I hadn’t ever thought this through before so it was an interesting epiphany.  I've been seeing more an more trophy trucks where all the light is bumper mounted with the roof left open so apparently others are thinking about this too.

Aiming the headlights requires a long skinny torx bit, FYI, but that's just an XJ thing, not specific to these lights.

Happy wheeling!
-Joel
LS2 stroker FC, Mandeville big brakes, widebody, etc
Build thread:  http://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=1274.0
www.roninspeedworks.com

LargeOrangeFont says: "Joel is right, and I love Joel. But his car sounds like the wrath of God."   ;)

Offline digitalsolo

• Administrator
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • LS1FC.com
« Reply #111 on: March 20, 2021, 09:43:32 AM »
I have the 7” round version of those on my Mustang.    Very happy with them as well.
Blake MF'ing McBride
1988 Mazda RX7 - Turbo LS1/T56/ProEFI/8.8/Not Slow...   sold.
1965 Mustang Coupe - TT Coyote, TR6060, modern brakes/suspension...  project car
2016 BMW 428i xDrive Gran Coupe - Completely stock...ish

Offline Cobranut

« Reply #112 on: March 21, 2021, 02:03:33 AM »
I have the 7” round version of those on my Mustang.    Very happy with them as well.

I really do miss the days when there were only 4 headlight profiles for all US cars.
I've run Cibie and Hella lights back in those days, and you could get them for ANY car.
Marchal also made some impressive headlights.

I had a set of Cibie's in a 1973 Cougar.  I had 80/100w bulbs in the outers, and 100w in the inners, run through solid state relays mounted on the radiator support, and I think #6 wire directly from the alternator.
I could light up trees well over a mile away like it was daylight, and the pattern was so good that the lowbeams didn't blind other traffic.
Also, it didn't take but ONE flash to convince oncoming traffic to dim their lights. LOL

I'd love to find a good set of LED housings for my daily beater 2004 Focus, but no luck so far.

Offline cholmes

« Reply #113 on: March 24, 2021, 11:54:53 PM »
Hmm, in checking the ad, they are available in black or silver, same price. In checking the technical specs for the silver ones, they claim to fit in place of "H6054" lights, which is what the FC takes. Cool! The black ones don't mention that in the specs, but I'll bet they're the same.

Thinkin' I might have to get a set for my FC.......

Offline freeskier7791

« Reply #114 on: March 25, 2021, 08:29:52 AM »

Cool!  Definitely need a set for my FB, stocks are abysmal
https://www.youtube.com/thedriftingdad
1985 Mazda RX7 GSL Drift Car

CCVT

Offline Cobranut

« Reply #115 on: March 25, 2021, 09:41:07 AM »
I wish these were available for the FD as well.  :(