October 22, 2019, 03:13:27 PM

Author Topic: 3d printing parts?  (Read 965 times)

Offline FCs Rule

3d printing parts?
« on: April 17, 2019, 04:45:03 PM »
So I've been working on my car lately and some things are pissing me off that is broken in my fc with the old  broken plastic. So I was wondering if anyone done any 3d printing of parts for your car? I'm currently playing around with making vents for my fc. Next I want I want to make those mirror triangles. What have you guys tried to print?
._________________________
|.....Overnight.....................| ||
|........Japan Parts................||'|";,___.
|_..._...____________======||_|_|...,]
"(@)'(@)""'''''''''''''"'''"**|(@)(@)*****"(@)

hate to say it but i told you so!

Offline digitalsolo

• Administrator
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • LS1FC.com
Re: 3d printing parts?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2019, 09:43:19 PM »
You'll want ABS for anything that has strain/load on it, FWIW.   PLA will have issues with interior temperatures and glassing temp.

I've printed lots of brackets and such.   Mostly ABS/PETG.
Blake MF'ing McBride
1988 Mazda RX7 - Turbo LS1/T56/ProEFI/8.8/Not Slow...   sold.
1965 Mustang Coupe - TT Coyote, TR6060, modern brakes/suspension...  project car
2016 BMW 428i xDrive Gran Coupe - Completely stock...ish

Offline Venom13132

• Staged
  • 95 RX-7 LS1 T56 FEED Widebody
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • Venom Speed Shop
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2019, 06:44:23 AM »
I have thought about it as well.  I have access to a 3D scanner at work but don't have a 3d printer.  I have a buddy that could print for me though.   You do want to be mindful of interior temperatures for the material  you choose.   Some parts you want to print then make a mold and make it out of a resin from the mold.
1995 RX-7 - LS1, T56: LS6 Intake, Feed wide body, Feed CF Side skirts, Ray's Gram Lights, K-Sport coilovers, 99 spec\ tails and spoiler, SpeedHut Gauges, Aeromotive fuel pump, TwinZ Rear Diffuser
2000 Ford Excursion - V10 Tow monster
2006 BMW 650i - 4.8l V8 6-Speed Manual - Daily Driver

Online shainiac

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2019, 07:56:36 AM »
In all honesty, just buy new OEM parts from Mazdatrix. Those mirror triangles and corner vents are cheap. a 3D print will cost more and look like crap. No PLA part is going to match the appearance of an OEM injection molded part. And an SLA part isn't going to hold up to UV. If you have CAD abilities, there is a resource called CADBLU that contracts 3D prints. They're very reasonably priced for 3D prints, but not nearly as cheap as OEM parts.
'88 TII -  SBE 5.3L, Twin EFR 6758s, T56 Magnum, Ronin 8.8" IRS, MS3Pro Ultimate
716whp/662wtq @1.3bar

Offline Venom13132

• Staged
  • 95 RX-7 LS1 T56 FEED Widebody
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • Venom Speed Shop
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2019, 08:15:33 AM »
In all honesty, just buy new OEM parts from Mazdatrix. Those mirror triangles and corner vents are cheap. a 3D print will cost more and look like crap. No PLA part is going to match the appearance of an OEM injection molded part. And an SLA part isn't going to hold up to UV. If you have CAD abilities, there is a resource called CADBLU that contracts 3D prints. They're very reasonably priced for 3D prints, but not nearly as cheap as OEM parts.

yeah A lot of people don't realize you can still get a lot of those small trim pieces new and they aren't very expensive. 

OP.  If you already have a 3d printer and some good experience with printing and modeling it could be practical to make parts but if you have to pay someone to print it and all that it will cost more than buying new.
1995 RX-7 - LS1, T56: LS6 Intake, Feed wide body, Feed CF Side skirts, Ray's Gram Lights, K-Sport coilovers, 99 spec\ tails and spoiler, SpeedHut Gauges, Aeromotive fuel pump, TwinZ Rear Diffuser
2000 Ford Excursion - V10 Tow monster
2006 BMW 650i - 4.8l V8 6-Speed Manual - Daily Driver

Offline fastfalcon94

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2019, 11:28:39 AM »
I got into 3d printing to mess around with it. I designed a discontinued part for Subarus and went through the learning curve of using ABS vs PLA in cars. To get a finish that would look as good as factory, it will require sanding/filling/painting afterwards. If you can still buy the new part, that is definitely the way to go.

https://802projects.com/blog/cabinfilter/cabinfilter.php

Offline FCs Rule

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2019, 01:14:10 AM »
Thanks for the feed back. I have a really good 3D printer at my finger tips and I have a spool of abs black. I was thinking out the box too like a cup holder and other things like that to mess with. I wish I had a 3D scanner that would be great to have too
._________________________
|.....Overnight.....................| ||
|........Japan Parts................||'|";,___.
|_..._...____________======||_|_|...,]
"(@)'(@)""'''''''''''''"'''"**|(@)(@)*****"(@)

hate to say it but i told you so!

Online shainiac

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2019, 08:04:31 AM »
There's a rotary FC guy who 3D prints a lot of interior parts. I bought his triple gauge pod for the center vents. It fits okay, but would definitely need sanded, filled, and painted to look like anything OEM.

Here's his store:
https://www.shapeways.com/shops/_fcjg15_

Here's the center pod

'88 TII -  SBE 5.3L, Twin EFR 6758s, T56 Magnum, Ronin 8.8" IRS, MS3Pro Ultimate
716whp/662wtq @1.3bar

Offline CKxx

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2019, 02:20:12 PM »
I got into 3d printing to mess around with it. I designed a discontinued part for Subarus and went through the learning curve of using ABS vs PLA in cars. To get a finish that would look as good as factory, it will require sanding/filling/painting afterwards. If you can still buy the new part, that is definitely the way to go.

https://802projects.com/blog/cabinfilter/cabinfilter.php

Very cool page with some solid info!

Offline darthmayndawg

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2019, 07:58:10 AM »
Thingiverse.com has free FC interior models and has an option for someone to print for you and send it to you

Offline spacevomit

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2019, 11:33:24 AM »
Apparently SLS printers can make UHMWPE parts.

Offline freeskier7791

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2019, 08:20:05 AM »
Apparently SLS printers can make UHMWPE parts.

Yea but they break down over time.  HP now makes a $500k printer that prints ABS that is basically as flexible as a molded part
https://www.youtube.com/thedriftingdad
1985 Mazda RX7 GSL Drift Car

CCVT