February 18, 2019, 04:48:02 AM

Author Topic: Kingers Garage  (Read 20659 times)

Offline kinger

Re: Kingers Garage - Enjoying the Mississippi built Stroker 7 by Halfspec
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2016, 01:12:10 PM »
Hi Wicked,

I actually hijacked thekanezzi thread located here:http://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=21184.15 sorry thekanezzi!!
93 Touring, 6.2L, 415/425 Whp/Wtq, 8.8, samberg everything, AC, PS, TC, Cruise, LED Tails, HID head lights, immaculate interior and paint.

Offline Cman

« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2016, 12:08:01 PM »
Coming back to the bucking, does this happen at cruise on very light throttle openings? 

Yes that is the worst, under even moderate throttle no bucking is present. 

Aug 11th I'm leaving the car for 2 days for a comprehensive tune with a highly regarded tuner in St. Paul.  He has tuned OTR (over the radiator) intakes on swapped 7's and knows the MAF table has to be 100% perfect.  He was quick to point out, if its not making progress he will disable the MAF, leave it in place, just to use the thermoresistor (LS7 MAF), and run full SD off the tables.  He keeps the car overnight to evaluate cold start the next day. 

I'm excited because if we can smooth it out, it will be the sweetest DD!  The car is so smooth and rides so nice once the bucking and my J pipe drone eliminator gets installed on the exhaust and it will be my dream cruiser with the power to scare the wee out of you at any given time!

This wouldn't be Carl @ Lancer would it ? Really knows his stuff. He tuned my OTR intake FC and it runs perfect
1986 Fc, LS1 T56
2012 Focus  - Winter beater
2015 Mazda 5 - Wifemobile

Offline kinger

« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2016, 12:26:17 PM »
Coming back to the bucking, does this happen at cruise on very light throttle openings? 

Yes that is the worst, under even moderate throttle no bucking is present. 

Aug 11th I'm leaving the car for 2 days for a comprehensive tune with a highly regarded tuner in St. Paul.  He has tuned OTR (over the radiator) intakes on swapped 7's and knows the MAF table has to be 100% perfect.  He was quick to point out, if its not making progress he will disable the MAF, leave it in place, just to use the thermoresistor (LS7 MAF), and run full SD off the tables.  He keeps the car overnight to evaluate cold start the next day. 

I'm excited because if we can smooth it out, it will be the sweetest DD!  The car is so smooth and rides so nice once the bucking and my J pipe drone eliminator gets installed on the exhaust and it will be my dream cruiser with the power to scare the wee out of you at any given time!

This wouldn't be Carl @ Lancer would it ? Really knows his stuff. He tuned my OTR intake FC and it runs perfect

Yes it is!  CJ tunes is what he calls his tuning dept.  Yes I drop the car at Lancer Auto.  He was the ONLY one that called back and he sounded like this was a piece of cake.  I had e-mailed him the specs of the car and he is like yep it will make 420whp, will idle and drive like stock, just need to get in there and tweak a few things and check the cold starts.  He was worried about the AC not being controlled by the PCM but of course halfspec wired it correct so that should also be no issue.  I'm excited he was personable and seemed to really know whats up.  Glad to see a review of him on here!
93 Touring, 6.2L, 415/425 Whp/Wtq, 8.8, samberg everything, AC, PS, TC, Cruise, LED Tails, HID head lights, immaculate interior and paint.

Offline Cman

« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2016, 09:03:18 PM »
So when are you in the twins ? I'll be at car and coffee tomorrow.

Steve

1986 Fc, LS1 T56

Offline XLR8

« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2016, 11:24:09 PM »
Here are the specs. Is this considered mild? 

Patriot custom cam .585"/.585" lift, 226/226 duration and 112 lsa

XLR8- what would your detailing recommendation be?  I am looking to have stuff to not scratch the immaculate black coat of paint when I wash and dry it. I see your the detailing expert :). Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry for the late reply...

On the cam, yep.  I would call that mild for a 383.  Mild is good for a street machine.  Keeps things enjoyable.

Your paint, and mine for that matter is extremely delicate and highly susceptible to scratches.  Literally, a dry micro-fiber with some dust will scratch my car, I have done it and learned from it.  The less any foreign object touches the paint, the better.  But when you do have touch it, it must be clean.

- Washing - I pressure wash with a wide tip pressure washer before the mitt touches the car.  I use Maguires Gold Class soap, and a healthy dose of it.  My wash rag is a micro-fiber mitt.  I pressure wash the mitt, and bucket before filling.  Always wash top to bottom.  Obviously the lower sides of the car will catch the most dirt so keep things moving progressively down.  I have a separate micro-fiber mitt for the wheels, though identical.  I hand wash them as well.  I never use any "rim cleaner" or abrasive cleaner on them.  I hand polish them twice a year with Mothers. 

- Drying - My wife purchased me a Car Dryer a few years back and I absolutely love it.  Touch less and thorough.  They aren't giving them away, but it was definitely worth the money.  They are no joke powerful, made in the USA, and you will never have to touch the car to dry it again.  I did a short video on it, and the link is below.  The exact one I own... https://www.metrovacworld.com/Air_Force_Master_Blaster_Car_Dryer_MB-3CD/overview

- Waxing - I ONLY hand wax.  Inspect the waxing and removing rags periodically for foreign specs of dirt.  The slightest piece can cause light scratches throughout the process.  Stay away from orbital buffers or anything mechanized.  Your clear is likely pristine with such recent paint.  I buy micro-fiber rags by the bulk and use a new clean one every time I wax the car.  For removing the wax I like 100% cotton rags.  I prefer an old shirt.  I have a few that I know are 100% cotton that I re-use.

- The in between - Maguires Quick Detailer is awesome!  I use it constantly.  It's nice for the in between jobs of waxing the car and washing.  It's quicker than a full wax but still shines well and it's very easy to apply.  Same method of rag choice with waxing.

- Working on the car - Some time ago I purchased 4 micro-fiber fender covers from Griot's Garage.  Worth their weight in gold.  I used them throughout my entire swap process and they were awesome at preserving my paint while leaning over a fender or doing work under the hood.  They are magnetic and easy to attach to the car.  AGAIN, make sure the painted surface is clean and dust free before placing them!  https://www.griotsgarage.com/product/ultra+soft+fender+cover.do

- Common sense w/ added care -  Never let anyone lean on the car, or get too close.  Be mindful yourself as you get in and out, walk around and drive the car.  A blue jean pant leg brushing against a bumper can scratch it.  Hands touching the paint can also scratch it.  ANY amount of dirt or residue on the paint being moved around will create light scratches that can be seen in the sun.  Put the car away clean.  Dirt will bond to your paint, which is why people are so amazed at how their paint feels after buffing or using a clay bar.  It feels so glassy because all the shit that bonded to the surface has been removed.  They probably wash their car once a month if that... The more frequently you wash and keep a good coat of wax, the longer it will retain it's premium condition.

- Clear Bra - I have yet to do this, but it's needed.  The bumpers take a beating on freeway roads and any driving where there are other vehicles to follow.  Find a quality detail installer and it's virtually invisible.  They will protect the paint in high wear areas like the bumper, and mirror faces.

- Final Thoughts - Ultimately, there is nothing you can do to completely preserve the paint while driving the car.  In turn, paint wear is mostly attributed to doing what we love to do the most, drive!  I don't drive my car in the rain, or if the road is wet.  I don't drive down unknown shitty roads with construction or loads of gravel.  I don't park next to people, in fact, I rarely park.  I don't take my car out to dinner or to the movies.  I drive, enjoy, wash, detail, store.  Daily driving my car was never an option.  In fact, it's one of the quickest ways to wear out a car.  These cars are 20 years old and they don't take wear and weather like new cars.  It's my Ferrari.  For me, enjoying the car during excellent conditions on less frequent occasions makes the drive that much more fun and experience more regal.  It will also keep it looking amazing for many years, and protecting my investment as such.

I hope this helps.  Cheers.  :)

http://youtu.be/_SgWQrAuQY8
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 11:43:19 PM by XLR8 »
94 MB Base...416 LS3 Stroker......Build Thread

Offline kinger

« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2016, 09:23:03 AM »

Steve

Hi Steve,

I'm there Thursday and Friday this week.  Carl gets the car Thursday and I get it back on Friday. 

Offline kinger

« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2016, 09:28:52 AM »

XLR8- what would your detailing recommendation be?  I am looking to have stuff to not scratch the immaculate black coat of paint when I wash and dry it. I see your the detailing expert :). Thanks!!

On the cam, yep.  I would call that mild for a 383.  Mild is good for a street machine.  Keeps things enjoyable.

Your paint, and mine for that matter is extremely delicate and highly susceptible to scratches.  Literally, a dry micro-fiber with some dust will scratch my car, I have done it and learned from it.  The less any foreign object touches the paint, the better.  But when you do have touch it, it must be clean.

- Washing - I pressure wash with a wide tip pressure washer before the mitt touches the car.  I use Maguires Gold Class soap, and a healthy dose of it.  My wash rag is a micro-fiber mitt.  I pressure wash the mitt, and bucket before filling.  Always wash top to bottom.  Obviously the lower sides of the car will catch the most dirt so keep things moving progressively down.  I have a separate micro-fiber mitt for the wheels, though identical.  I hand wash them as well.  I never use any "rim cleaner" or abrasive cleaner on them.  I hand polish them twice a year with Mothers. 

- Drying - My wife purchased me a Car Dryer a few years back and I absolutely love it.  Touch less and thorough.  They aren't giving them away, but it was definitely worth the money.  They are no joke powerful, made in the USA, and you will never have to touch the car to dry it again.  I did a short video on it, and the link is below.  The exact one I own... https://www.metrovacworld.com/Air_Force_Master_Blaster_Car_Dryer_MB-3CD/overview

- Waxing - I ONLY hand wax.  Inspect the waxing and removing rags periodically for foreign specs of dirt.  The slightest piece can cause light scratches throughout the process.  Stay away from orbital buffers or anything mechanized.  Your clear is likely pristine with such recent paint.  I buy micro-fiber rags by the bulk and use a new clean one every time I wax the car.  For removing the wax I like 100% cotton rags.  I prefer an old shirt.  I have a few that I know are 100% cotton that I re-use.

- The in between - Maguires Quick Detailer is awesome!  I use it constantly.  It's nice for the in between jobs of waxing the car and washing.  It's quicker than a full wax but still shines well and it's very easy to apply.  Same method of rag choice with waxing.

- Working on the car - Some time ago I purchased 4 micro-fiber fender covers from Griot's Garage.  Worth their weight in gold.  I used them throughout my entire swap process and they were awesome at preserving my paint while leaning over a fender or doing work under the hood.  They are magnetic and easy to attach to the car.  AGAIN, make sure the painted surface is clean and dust free before placing them!  https://www.griotsgarage.com/product/ultra+soft+fender+cover.do

- Common sense w/ added care -  Never let anyone lean on the car, or get too close.  Be mindful yourself as you get in and out, walk around and drive the car.  A blue jean pant leg brushing against a bumper can scratch it.  Hands touching the paint can also scratch it.  ANY amount of dirt or residue on the paint being moved around will create light scratches that can be seen in the sun.  Put the car away clean.  Dirt will bond to your paint, which is why people are so amazed at how their paint feels after buffing or using a clay bar.  It feels so glassy because all the shit that bonded to the surface has been removed.  They probably wash their car once a month if that... The more frequently you wash and keep a good coat of wax, the longer it will retain it's premium condition.

- Clear Bra - I have yet to do this, but it's needed.  The bumpers take a beating on freeway roads and any driving where there are other vehicles to follow.  Find a quality detail installer and it's virtually invisible.  They will protect the paint in high wear areas like the bumper, and mirror faces.

- Final Thoughts - Ultimately, there is nothing you can do to completely preserve the paint while driving the car.  In turn, paint wear is mostly attributed to doing what we love to do the most, drive!  I don't drive my car in the rain, or if the road is wet.  I don't drive down unknown shitty roads with construction or loads of gravel.  I don't park next to people, in fact, I rarely park.  I don't take my car out to dinner or to the movies.  I drive, enjoy, wash, detail, store.  Daily driving my car was never an option.  In fact, it's one of the quickest ways to wear out a car.  These cars are 20 years old and they don't take wear and weather like new cars.  It's my Ferrari.  For me, enjoying the car during excellent conditions on less frequent occasions makes the drive that much more fun and experience more regal.  It will also keep it looking amazing for many years, and protecting my investment as such.

Awesome recommendations.  The car came with zaino on it so I took the plunge and have been playing with that.  Pretty amazing.  I also got their towels and some microfiber mitts for washing (actually I think they are like lambswool or something weird).

Its a lot of work to maintain the finish that is for sure!  I appreciate the suggestions, I may look into the dryer. 

Offline Cman

« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2016, 10:16:06 AM »

Steve

Hi Steve,

I'm there Thursday and Friday this week.  Carl gets the car Thursday and I get it back on Friday. 

I'd love to get a look at your car. I'll pm you my phone. Let me know if you want to meet up.

Steve
1986 Fc, LS1 T56

Offline Cobranut

« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2016, 11:00:54 AM »

I've been using a Weed Eater electric blower to dry my cars, and even my tractor and lawn equipment, for several decades.  The warm air works especially well for drying the engine bay and wheels, and anywhere water collects in nooks and crannies.

Whatever you do, don't use a gas powered blower, as they spew tiny specks of 2-stroke oil from the exhaust.  :'(
1995 FD, 7.0 Liter stroked LS3, T56, 8.8, Samberg kit.

Offline cool

« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2016, 12:40:10 PM »
I use high speed driving to dry my car.  It work just as good as a leaf blower, but is more fun. 

Offline kinger

« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2016, 11:00:31 AM »
Not much to update but more for documentation purposes here is some of the latest things I have been tinkering with on the 7. 

Rattles, noises, oh my.  They keep coming LOL  It appears this will be a never ending worm hole as I quieten the loudest ones the next batch will now be audible.  Here are the latest ones to be isolated:

Clutch creak was actually the clevis of the MC pushrod twisting sideways and digging into the side of the clutch pedal.  Also there is no bushing installed its just a pit through a hole.  This has been isolated and will be fixed possibly with the bearing fix posted on the club which actually makes the clutch pressure easier from reduced friction.  (Winter project)

Hatch rattles, the main one I talked about earlier went away with duct tape on the latch.  Looking for a more permanent solution I removed the rear plastic and lowered the hatch latch to suck the hatch down to the bump stops tighter.  This not only fixed my problem it aligned the hatch properly as it wasn't sitting flush before.  Win Win!  Also I started systematically removing plastic panels and its apparently the plastic around the hatch is the next largest culprit.  Up next will be some felt tape and/or industrial velcro strategically placed to keep the panels tight.  Materials on order and will update with pictures at a later date.

Purchased a improved racing front strut bar with MC brake support that was 'used' but still brand new.  I got it for much less then even their best GB pricing and its a nice piece.  Anodized in black it fits the bay well. 

I have purchased some exhaust upgrades/changes.  First I got a UHF cat from vibrant #7830 (yes the mega $$) to help keep the smell down and it will replace my resonator.  I also got a borla XR multicore #400371 out back and a J pipe to help with the drone.  Neither are installed and both waiting on the Anthony to weld up and ship back to me.  I'm excited for these changes.

I have a plastic grinding noise coming from up front when coming to a stop VERY slowly and its about 95% identified as the plastic wheel well liner on the drivers side.  More testing needed here, there are stretched 255's up front and its tight. 

Tune appointment got rained out and another is in the works.  Really excited for that! 

I keep driving the car, and putting it through its paces.  I'm pretty much used to the power now and it just plain makes me happy to drive and stare at!  I even raced a heavily modified cobra and he dusted me but said I was the only one ever close to him LOL!  (something like 1800whp cobra that you couldn't see over the hood LOL)

I'll try to take more pictures.  Thanks!

Project refinement continues! 

Offline halfspec

• Top Fuel
  • Resistance Is Futile
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • HalfSpec.com
« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2016, 01:55:48 PM »
I always wanted an improved racing strut bar. I think it'll really make the engine bay pop  :cheers:
Also very curious to see how the exhaust comes out. I think after you're done it will certifiably be the most expensive SS exhaust built for a RX7 ;)

Lane

Offline kinger

« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2016, 09:43:15 PM »
I got my helper and we installed the strut bar, it's a very nice piece, it appears they are no longer making it anymore???   Nice that it's brand new and exactly how I would have ordered it. 

Installed:

MC brace part to help with brake feel:

My crazy helper who actually tightened the strut bolts to spec by hand!!  Crazy for a 6 year old haha:

It's fun she is into the car and my snowmobile so much.  She rules.  Car rules. Life rules.  :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline kinger

« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2016, 04:15:55 PM »
Polished it up and zaino today. Dat black!!!  Never had a black car with ZERO swirl marks...awesome.

Offline wickedrx7

« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2016, 05:50:19 PM »
Wow. That's all, just wow.

1993 Touring, 2012 L99, T-56, Ronnin 8.8, Ohlins, Speedhut, Samberg and lots of custom parts
Build Thread - http://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=19354.0
Pictures - www.flikr.com/wickedrx7