June 17, 2019, 09:11:57 PM

Author Topic: UNLEASHED rx7 FD Build  (Read 4084 times)

Offline FC3S Murray

Re: Rise of the Seven- '94 Restoration/LS1 Swap
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2018, 11:30:06 AM »

Santa was good to you!

You will still want a catch can. I have the LS6 valley cover and I still collect a fair amount of oil in my Warner can.

Just curious, are you running a MAF with that intake set-up?

8 years and still running STRONG!

Offline bstallion

• In The Bleach Box
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2018, 04:20:43 PM »

Santa was good to you!

You will still want a catch can. I have the LS6 valley cover and I still collect a fair amount of oil in my Warner can.

Just curious, are you running a MAF with that intake set-up?

I'll use the MAF, it was a poor mock up that I showed.

Offline bstallion

• In The Bleach Box
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2018, 04:36:53 PM »
Kicked around and sorted the spare car, decided I'll sell it or trade it for some goodies, made a post in the for sale section.

Found a sub enclosure I made years ago, not sure if I'll use it, I think I lost my subs to the flood.

iPad Mini Dash coming out well being my first time doing something like this, needs minor touch ups now.

Pulled parts out the hatch to clean up a bit and was going to reinstall the interior but realized a lot of clips are broken or missing so I am making an order for more.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 08:22:56 AM by bstallion »

Offline 7th Heaven

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2018, 10:33:26 PM »
I like the iPad mini idea. Thatís interesting.
Want a FD/FC A/C wire harness? Message me if in need!!  :cheers:

Offline bstallion

• In The Bleach Box
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
Re: UNLEASHED '94 Restoration/LS1 Swap
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2018, 02:55:27 PM »
Been awhile I had any updates on this one but I'm ready to continue. I had two FDs and worked more on the other one that I didn't have a build thread for, pictures below for reference. Sold this one with a swap kit, the engine, and transmission. It was an LS1 and I really wanted an LS3 anyways, I had an LS3 but it flooded.

It will still be a long time before my FD will be ready but for the time being I picked up a 280z a few months ago to drive while I take my time to work on this build. The Z needed way more work than what was lead on but its just about wrapped up, I made a build thread on it to show the progress, its pictured with my FD. In the next coming weeks I will scrape the FatMat out to spray Lizard Skin. I plan on taking the project on with a heat gun and scraper, if anyone has done the same I'm open to suggestions. I got a new Samberg subframe getting powdered coated, my first one was sold with the other FD. So I gave it a wash and cleared out the interior.

Thank you everyone for the kind words throughout this terribly long build.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 10:56:25 PM by bstallion »

Offline bstallion

• In The Bleach Box
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2018, 12:41:49 PM »
Removed most the FatMat, got at it with a heat gun and scraper. Itís not going to be completely removed but a little leftover residue wonít hurt to be covered by Lizard Skin. Next time we can a day when itís warm and doesnít rain Iíll spray the Lizard Skin. 

Also starting the do videos, got my first one below. I know it sucks but Iíll have plenty to do and time to get better.
https://youtu.be/HTWkt3xCJXk

Online Cobranut

« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2018, 10:13:23 PM »
What's the advantage to the LizardSkin over the Fat Mat?
It looked like the Fat Mat was installed pretty well.  Before I did all that work, I think I'd have just sprayed LizardSkin on the parts that weren't covered by the Fat Mat.
1995 FD, 7.0 Liter stroked LS3, T56, 8.8, Samberg kit.

Offline sonicgroove

« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2018, 01:15:54 AM »
Did you weigh that bucket afterwards? I'd be curious to know how much weight was removed from that amount of fatmat.

I forgot to mention try goo gone. Spray it all over the black tar stuff and let it sit then wipe it off. Maybe 2 or 3 passes and it should all be gone. I've had good experience removing difficult adhesives with this stuff.

-groovin
1987 MAZDA RX-7 LS1 T56 | 1995 MAZDA RX-7 ST PORT BOLT-ON'S ADAPTRONIC PNP | 1994 MAZDA RX-7 TSP 416 LS3 T56 MAGNUM E40 ECM

Offline bstallion

• In The Bleach Box
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2019, 11:21:11 PM »
What's the advantage to the LizardSkin over the Fat Mat?
It looked like the Fat Mat was installed pretty well.  Before I did all that work, I think I'd have just sprayed LizardSkin on the parts that weren't covered by the Fat Mat.

Ease of mind, it was in good but I had the doors off and it rained inside (car cover blew off) . It dried out of course, I fell better removing it just in case no water was trapped and cause problems later.

Did you weigh that bucket afterwards? I'd be curious to know how much weight was removed from that amount of fatmat.

I forgot to mention try goo gone. Spray it all over the black tar stuff and let it sit then wipe it off. Maybe 2 or 3 passes and it should all be gone. I've had good experience removing difficult adhesives with this stuff.

-groovin

I didn't but I'd guess about 10 lbs. Thanks for the heads up on the goo gone.

I scraped off everything I needed to remove. I do need to get some dry ice for the remaining factory sound deadening, I tried today but the market was out. I did also get the interior harness and pedals out. Just need a good day and I'll be good to spray.

Video update. I am open to suggestions to make better videos, all feedback is welcome.
https://youtu.be/AdDmp4KxsSk
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 10:18:04 AM by bstallion »

Offline bstallion

• In The Bleach Box
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
Re: UNLEASHED '94 Restoration/Swap
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2019, 10:30:52 AM »
Over the weekend I got some dry ice to remove some deadener, cleaned and scuffed the surface, and sprayed two coats of Lizard Skin Sound Control. Might be able to spray the Ceramic Insulation tomorrow.

Videos

Offline sonicgroove

« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2019, 12:49:37 PM »
Looking "super clean!" Haha

The factory deadener and dry ice trick worked very well. Out of curiosity did you try the dry ice on a small spot of tar and see if it would harden and break off as well?

I'm so jealous of the lizard skin. I really want to do that but watching your video just reminds me of how much work it entails. 

Making good progress. I look forward to watching the next videos.

-groovin
1987 MAZDA RX-7 LS1 T56 | 1995 MAZDA RX-7 ST PORT BOLT-ON'S ADAPTRONIC PNP | 1994 MAZDA RX-7 TSP 416 LS3 T56 MAGNUM E40 ECM

Offline bstallion

• In The Bleach Box
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2019, 08:53:59 AM »
Looking "super clean!" Haha

The factory deadener and dry ice trick worked very well. Out of curiosity did you try the dry ice on a small spot of tar and see if it would harden and break off as well?

I'm so jealous of the lizard skin. I really want to do that but watching your video just reminds me of how much work it entails. 

Making good progress. I look forward to watching the next videos.

-groovin

The work isn't that bad, removing the original sound deadener with dry ice is easy. The real work is taping and filling threads or parts you don't want covered.

Even though I am satisfied with the outcome I know I could have done it better. I gave the Sound Control a few days to cure and came back with two coats of the Ceramic Insulation.

Over the weekend I peeled the tape off. The look of the line on the door was so satisfying.

I got an idea from AZieger's Build with using a Friction Tape to rewrap a wire harness, I did this on the door harnesses and will do it to the dash harness as well.

Test fitted 6.5" speakers in the doors. The doors weren't a priority and was very hard to reach behind to pop tabs out so i just taped over them, you won't see that from an airplane.

Already scratched up some on my new surface when moving the harness around in the hatch, but it'll be covered up with a carpet anyways.

Videos

Offline digitalsolo

• Administrator
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • LS1FC.com
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2019, 02:44:37 PM »
FYI, if you rewrap harness stuff in the future, use "TESA" tape, that's what BMW uses OE, and it's cloth like the friction tape and nice to work with.
Blake MF'ing McBride
1988 Mazda RX7 - Turbo LS1/T56/ProEFI/8.8/Not Slow...   sold.
1965 Mustang Coupe - TT Coyote, TR6060, modern brakes/suspension...  project car
2016 BMW 428i xDrive Gran Coupe - Completely stock...ish

Offline bstallion

• In The Bleach Box
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2019, 08:23:27 AM »
FYI, if you rewrap harness stuff in the future, use "TESA" tape, that's what BMW uses OE, and it's cloth like the friction tape and nice to work with.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll get some next time.

I looked back on groovin's suggestion of using goo gone and applied that to take the glue off the firewall pad/mat. I traced the outline and holes with a silver sharpie then cut the ozite padding with some scissors and xacto knife. It seemed like it was a lot harder to get back in than it was to come out, I took it like 7 years ago though. The A/C components wasn't fun either, it was the worry of putting too much pressure and something breaking. Most of the smaller interior pieces were in containers, I sorted through them and put them into place. The interior is mocked up for now, the point is to see what I still have and what I still need to get. The carpet will need some heat before going back in, a warm sunny day will be needed for that.

Online wickedrx7

Re: UNLEASHED rx7 FD Build
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2019, 08:59:19 AM »
Coming along nicely!  Disassembling and Assembling the FD interior is a game of chance... what is the chance of breaking something.... 

1993 Touring, 2012 L99, T-56, Ronnin 8.8, Ohlins, Speedhut, Samberg and lots of custom parts
Build Thread - http://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=19354.0
Pictures - www.flikr.com/wickedrx7