January 17, 2019, 10:16:26 PM

Author Topic: UNLEASHED '94 Restoration/Swap  (Read 3451 times)

Offline bstallion

• In The Bleach Box
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
UNLEASHED '94 Restoration/Swap
« on: January 17, 2016, 12:56:45 AM »
This has been the journey so far....

Will be making videos of Build on Youtube.
Subscribe for the progress YouTube.com/uunleashedd

Iíve searched years and finally found my first FD about 7 years ago, itís a 1994 chaste white. It stayed mostly stock for a long time, I was concerned about the reliability of the car at first. The thought of owning an rx7 was more important to me than anything (favorite car), at the time I did not know the car was only running of one rotor. I was told the only thing the car needed was a tune, a few months later I took the car to a shop to get some work done to find out it either needed a new engine or rebuild. I started spending more and more time on the forums, mainly rx7club, to help make a decision. It didn't bother me at all to take the rotary out to put something else in, I've noticed it does bother others, but if the rx7 came from the factory with a 2jz or LS1 it wouldn't bother those same people? I've start from the beginning up until now, with pictures.

After a few weeks of heavily searching for an FD I locked down on one in Houston and the next day I went buy a trailer and went pick up the car.

Engine bay from day one when I unloaded the car..

I had a spare set of rx8 wheels and wanted to see what they looked like mounted on the car..

Sending it off to get some work done..

After Some Work, exhaust, new intake, pulleys, intercooler, power fc, gauges, vacuum hoses, and so on...

Another set of wheels

put an rx8 shift knob and steering wheel in

Pulled the engine and was thinking of going 2jz at the time, pressure washed to start cleaning

An LS6 blocked I picked up, I decided to go with an LS swap instead of 2jz

Went with the Samberg swap kit and got it powder coated ink black

Here I have the interior out, got the seats wrapped in black and red leather, bought a new black carpet..

The calipers were rebuilt and powder coated candy red, I also had some LS6 valve covers done with this color..

Here is an LS1 and T56 I picked up from a Trans Am, the engine was originally pulled from a Corvette, I had sold the LS6 block before getting this set up. I was impressed with the build sheet on the engine.

The engine bay was prepped and primed and I wanted to go with a black paint, I am very satisfied with the results of the black.

I traded my T56 and sold the LS1 then recently picked up a 1998 LS1 and a 2004 GTO T56, I am keeping this set up..

« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 10:51:05 PM by bstallion »

Offline karsty

Re: Rise of the Seven- '94 Restoration/LS1 Swap
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2016, 02:48:28 PM »
Nice work!  Looks like you're going top to bottom with this thing.

Offline airwolf16

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2016, 09:27:26 PM »
Great start!
ďThe good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.Ē ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Offline bstallion

• In The Bleach Box
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2016, 08:44:59 PM »
Thanks for the kind words guys, I appreciate it..

I got the Subframe and Diff Mount in.

The front wells are coated with 3M Rubberized Undercoating, I need to get around to getting the back done, Iíd really like to get most of the under side of the car done..

Got coilovers installed and doors taken off for paint..

Took my set of Super Advans get powder coated in Satin Black..

Before:

After/Mounted:

I want some Super Advan V2s but these will do for now..
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 02:37:26 PM by bstallion »

Offline FC3S Murray

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2016, 11:24:02 PM »
You sure that engine is from an 04 gto? The valve covers are screaming 1998 (not to mention you have a passenger side valve cover mounted on the wrong side..rocking 2 oil fill caps :) ). If it is in fact a 2004 LS1 you should have a LS6 intake manifold(P/N 12573572) and a LS6 block(12561168 stamped near back of the block). The heads should have the 241 casting number as well.

I really hope you didn't get hosed man. :(

Nice FD btw, white compliments the 3rd gen so well.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 11:29:14 PM by FC3S Murray »
[smg id=9386 type=full align=center caption="82a12596 bbff 4215 91f6 83f370e7eb35 zpsdd7bd7b2"]

7 years and still running STRONG!

Offline digitalsolo

• Administrator
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • LS1FC.com
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2016, 10:05:07 AM »
Yeah, those definitely aren't 2004 cylinder heads.
Blake MF'ing McBride
1988 Mazda RX7 - Turbo LS1/T56/ProEFI/8.8/Not Slow...   sold.
1965 Mustang Coupe - TT Coyote, TR6060, modern brakes/suspension...  project car
2013 Focus ST3 - Stage 1 BPU

Offline bstallion

• In The Bleach Box
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2016, 09:40:44 PM »
Sorry, the engine wasnít originally from the gto. I had an ls6 intake but sold it. Iíve been celebrating marriages and graduations lately and recently got engaged. Iíll be spending more time with the car and wrapping it up soon.

I managed to find the time to take a road trip to get some parts from friend. He had an intake, driveshaft, an MGW shifter, and some other misc parts. I wasnít planning on using an MGW shifter but I like the feel of it and glad I decided to get it.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 02:40:36 PM by bstallion »

Offline digitalsolo

• Administrator
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • LS1FC.com
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2016, 10:51:29 PM »
Congrats!
Blake MF'ing McBride
1988 Mazda RX7 - Turbo LS1/T56/ProEFI/8.8/Not Slow...   sold.
1965 Mustang Coupe - TT Coyote, TR6060, modern brakes/suspension...  project car
2013 Focus ST3 - Stage 1 BPU

Offline jparker7

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2016, 06:29:49 AM »
98 heads have perimeter valve cover bolts.  Those don't

Offline nadeem

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2016, 09:00:37 AM »
The Engine Bay Looks Very Neat and Clean - Always Nice to See an FD with a New Engine Going In.

Offline bstallion

• In The Bleach Box
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2016, 09:49:05 PM »
Thank you..

Congrats!

I was supposed to be hitting the car hard and putting in more time but all I have is a new hours each weekend, my fianace and I just put an offer in on a few house and will be moving soon so I'm busy with that also, still getting a little done here and there..

T56 Mount came in, now I can install the engine and transmission..

Intake, new filters, driveshaft, master cylinder, msd wires, and corvette fuel filter.. I also have a dakota digital speedo correction module somewhere.. A radiator is one of the last things on my list, thinking of going with a mishimoto..

We have an extra day in the weekend coming up so hopefully I can take advantage of it and at least get the rear fender wells coated..

We started putting the car back together last weekend..

« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 02:45:43 PM by bstallion »

Offline FC3S Murray

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2016, 12:41:48 AM »
....what type of animal is that next to your T56 mount...cute but freaky  :scratch:

Nice to see some progress on the FD. Enjoy working on it with your girl...hopefully it stays that way and becomes a memorable experience for the both of you
[smg id=9386 type=full align=center caption="82a12596 bbff 4215 91f6 83f370e7eb35 zpsdd7bd7b2"]

7 years and still running STRONG!

Offline bstallion

• In The Bleach Box
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2017, 03:59:21 PM »
....what type of animal is that next to your T56 mount...cute but freaky  :scratch:

Nice to see some progress on the FD. Enjoy working on it with your girl...hopefully it stays that way and becomes a memorable experience for the both of you

its a Sugar Glider, long awaited update to come

Offline bstallion

• In The Bleach Box
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2017, 04:51:08 PM »
Itís been a while since an update but this build will be finished, even if I have to pay a shop to finish it. I last left off only working on the FD on the weekends because of living in an apartment with no room for the car with me. My fiancť and I was looking for a house and new jobs and found what we were looking for in Baton Rouge. The build came to a pause while we looked and moved from Houma to Baton Rouge. We closed on our house July 29, 2016, we were very excited as first time home owners! The FD stayed down but it was stripped down for paint, everything that was to go back in had been moved. Two weeks after closing the neighborhood flooded.
The past year I have been mostly putting time into the house, its mostly rebuilt with little trim left here and there. I have started working on the build again, and see something is up with photobucket when I tried uploading my progress, sorry if some of the pictures are repeated.
I lost pretty much everything for the car but have been collecting parts and almost back to where I was before I had to almost start all over.

Was going to be my engine later on but sadly it flooded

Needed a better cleaning but it went in anyways, looks like GReddy strut bar will clear

New wire harness and tuned PCM from Wiring Specialties, still needs to be installed

Got the wheels Iím been dreaming of, Yokahoma Super Avan V2s

Picked up a roller/shell to get some parts off of as well, thanks for the deal Colt. I reserved a trailer in advance from U-Haul and they ended up sending a dolly to location, that was fun loading the car on that. May keep it for future build or sell it, not sure yet. Played around with this one for a few days. The biggest pain was transferring over the chassis harness but glad its done

LBR Dash Vent w/ RX-7 logo, nothing was wrong with the factory one just couldnít pass up on this one

FEED style fenders from Group A Motoring, going to love when these go on, will probably need to get wider wheels also

Needed to get some replacement seats, I took the red and black leather skins off my old seats to swap over but they are damaged pretty bad :[ Hog Ring pliers are a good tool for this for those who need to recover seats

Got to see this animal and follow it for like half an hour in a convoy to Import Face Off, got the roller from the owner btw, VladtheSmiter

Organized me a shelve and table to work with until I can build a Shop

Pulled the engine/trans back out, needs a new clutch, starter, and alternator
The intake tubes are powder coated Red, they used to be wrapped, kind of mocked them up for now. When I get a Samberg Roll Bar it will go the same color

So this last portion of an update was just getting back to where I was. My paint guy canít do the job anymore, so Iíll have to find another one. I still have a few odds and ends to sort out but have a plan, get the car up and running as is, put 243 heads and fast 92mm intake manifold on, swap to an 8.8, then get fenders installed and paint. I welcome anyone who would like to come and help with the build or see it.

Offline bstallion

• In The Bleach Box
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2017, 06:33:43 PM »
Update from the past few weeks, its seen snow for the first time since I've had it

Christmas provided a few goodies

Street Faction Bash Bar

Cables for battery relocation

a few interior parts

iPad Mini dash install in the making

Dash and roll bar for the spare FD

Got the 243 Heads early, I should've kept the ones I had from an LS6 I got rid of but planned to do an LS3/TR6060 for a moment until that flooded. I'll need to find a place to rework the heads, the valve covers and a few other parts are getting powdered coated, glad to be doing away with the parameter covers. I'll convert to an LS6 valley cover, which is also being powder coated. Decided to take the alternator and starter get tested, the starter was good but the alternator failed so bought a new one with lifetime warranty. The clutch looked pretty nasty, a new oem spec clutch is ready to go in.

AMW oil catch can, probably won't need it because of converting to LS6 valley cover and pcv system, won't hurt to have it though. FAST 92MM intake manifold, can't wait to get this on.

Mishimoto Radiator and condensor, still need fans.

I'm doing what I can when I can, I have a few house projects going on and it gets dark right after I get home from work, I use time in the evenings to read threads and write ups to help me plan the next step.

I put together a list of what I still have to do and what I still need to search for and buy here and there. Its not in any particular order, need to prioritize it and stick to it.

Things still to do:
Install Clutch/ Flywheel
Install Corvette Fuel Filter
Install LS6 Valley Cover/ Steam Vent
Install 243 Heads
Install Oil Catch Can
Install iPad Dash Mount
Install Radiator
Route Engine Harness
Get Y-Pipe Made
Drop Fuel Tank and Clean
Paint