July 20, 2019, 12:06:57 PM

Author Topic: Adjustable bumpsteer kit - FD tie rod end taper size?  (Read 3620 times)

Offline largeorangefont

• Top Fuel
  • I steer with the gas pedal.
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
Re: Adjustable bumpsteer kit - FD tie rod end taper size?
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2015, 09:12:55 PM »
So the shank diameter is OK for the FD?
Quote from: cool
Sell it to spacevomit.  He'll finish it.

Offline Sketch_hs

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2015, 11:02:21 AM »
I attempted to install mine the other day when I replacing my bushings.

I noticed they will not fit my 17' wheels.

They do not give the samberg helm joints full range of motion unless a tapered spacer is installed on both sides of the joint.

Yeah you'll want these:
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Steel-Cone-Spacers-for-Rod-Ends-5-8-Inch,32702.html

They were pretty close already on my 18s, so for 17s you'll need to cut them down

Offline Sketch_hs

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2015, 11:03:33 AM »
So is this an alternative to the samberg or you saying these are better ? Did you not use the samberg for a certain reason?

This is so you can adjust the bump steer out - the samberg kit is fixed!

Offline ls3_rob

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2015, 12:33:45 PM »
could you post a picture. I am having a hard time understanding how these are installed
07 tl type s daily
93 rx7 ls3

Offline Sketch_hs

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2015, 03:55:18 PM »
They just replace the non adjustable part from the samberg kit. You still need everything else! :yay:
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 06:08:24 PM by Sketch_hs »

Offline Cobranut

« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2015, 03:16:33 AM »
Are you guys needing to shorten the tierod spacer that Samberg supplies to correct the bump-steer?
I hope so, because I have absolutely no clearance to lengthen mine, and there's only about 1/8" I can space up the rack.
I haven't actually measured bump steer on mine, but it sure feels like it.
Even after setting the alignment, the car still darts around on a bumpy road, and wants to follow ruts as well.
My front tires do have bad camber wear, the outside is worn out and they still have probably 1/2 tread depth on the inner edges, so I'm sure that's not helping any. (Looks like the camber-cut tires on my racecar, LOL)
New tires are on the short list, by the way.

David
1995 FD, 7.0 Liter stroked LS3, T56, 8.8, Samberg kit.

Offline Cobranut

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2016, 12:08:37 AM »
I spaced my rack up .120" (all the space I have) and reset toe back to 1/8" out.
It made a major improvement, even with the old tires.
The car is much more stable over bumps now, but I still get a LOT of feedback through the depowered rack (not a totally bad thing), and it still follows ruts like mad.  :o

I'm holding off buying tires because I haven't decided on sticking with the 17's or switching to 18's.  Tire selection in 17" is getting pretty limited, but I really dislike extreme low profile tires, and I love the period look of the Blitz Type-03's.

Any suggestions on a lightweight 18" wheel, along with the width and offsets to get the most tire under the car with nothing more than rolled fender lips, would be appreciated.  :cheers:

Thanks,
David
1995 FD, 7.0 Liter stroked LS3, T56, 8.8, Samberg kit.

Offline paul_3rdgen

• Supporting Member
  • Launching!
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
93 RX7 R1 500rwhp
LS2, H/C combo... ARE drysump
Race Logic traction Control and 4 wheel Stoptech BBK
3.73 gears installed in the stock diff  :o

Offline BeasTT

• Supporting Member
  • Top Fuel
  • Twinz for teh winz
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2016, 10:27:56 PM »
Bump for updates
Nick Shultz

1993 Rx-7
371ci, Twin Billet 6265's, Twin A2W's, ProEFI 128, RacePak IQ3,
McLeod RXT, Speedfab 8.8 solid axle, QA1s, FIC 2150cc, Magnafuel 4303

Offline Cryptic

« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2019, 01:40:38 AM »
Anybody have a picture of this installed?  Trying to understand how to this replaces or is used with Samberg's bump steer. I dont get it. Am I looking at the right thing? Is this like a taller spacer?

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Pinto-Spindle-Bump-Steer-Correction-Kit,52425.html

I'm assuming we disassemble this tie rod end and replace with the above???
1995 427 LS3 Burnout Widebody FD
My build thread
2011 Ford F250 CCSB 6.7L

Offline Exidous

« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2019, 09:01:52 AM »
That's not the right speedway pinto item above.

Here is a pic. I cut the length after I got the bump steer dialed in.

I should mention, I have ccw's and most of their wheels have a 17" barrel. Even on the 18's. Including mine. I've had them in for over 2 years now.
94 BB SBE LS1 Full Mamo top, MS3ProU with TC, RONIN 8.8 and another custom dual 2.5" stainless exhaust. Too loud, need bigger muffler....

Offline Cryptic

« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2019, 04:58:16 PM »
Did you need the cone spacers like someone mentioned above?

What method did you use to adjust the bump steer? Did you have one of those Longacre tools like this:

« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 05:04:03 PM by Cryptic »
My build thread
2011 Ford F250 CCSB 6.7L

Offline Exidous

« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2019, 01:56:30 AM »
I did not use the spacers. Don't seem to have any issues. I don't think the full range of the joint is necessary on the Rx.
I did it the way bad obsession Motorsports did it on Binky. A laser and a piece of paper to mark the movements.
94 BB SBE LS1 Full Mamo top, MS3ProU with TC, RONIN 8.8 and another custom dual 2.5" stainless exhaust. Too loud, need bigger muffler....

Offline Cryptic

« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2019, 05:45:59 PM »
Copying from my facebook thread I started:

I was driving back from the Tail of the Dragon to my hotel and it started to rain hard (again). The kind of rain where you can barely see anything. I slowed her down and I noticed the car was darting all over the place. I wasn't sure at the time if it was the rain or the damn alignment slipped again. Luckily, I was on my way to the enclosed trailer to pack her up to home anyway.

I have been chasing a problem on the RX-7 for the last 5 years. The car has always felt a little unsettled on our craptastic WI roads. The alignment has been bumped or forced out of alignment on at least 3 occasions. I believe it happened again at the Tail of the Dragon. That could have resulted in bad things if it slipped anymore than it did.

I found one end link stud (Samberg) was actually BENT and one of the caster/camber bolts slipped out of position. (I took pics of them after my 3rd trip to the alignment shop) Also carved out a piece of steel to brace any alignment slipping and tacked it into place.

Replaced both end link studs, tested for bump steer, and did an old school alignment. (I'm actually getting good at this now LOL)

Took the car for a test drive and it has NEVER felt so planted and sure-footed over crappy roads. I have actually changed tire sizes (taller sidewall) because of this issue. I questioned my coilovers being too stiff. Nope! Just incorrectly corrected bump steer.

Adjustable Pinto Tie-Rod Adapter Stud to Heim: https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Adjustable-Tie-Rod-Adapter-Stud-to-Heim,3333.html?sku=91636055-PINTO

Cone Spacers: https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Steel-Cone-Spacers-for-Rod-Ends-5-8-Inch,32702.html

« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 05:55:42 PM by Cryptic »
My build thread
2011 Ford F250 CCSB 6.7L

Offline ducat

« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2019, 07:20:28 PM »
Any part numbers/direction on the tie rod/heim itself?