April 26, 2019, 01:39:55 AM

Author Topic: 1993 Volvo 945 L33  (Read 19021 times)

Offline Chigliakus

• Staged
  • '09 STi grocery getter -- '93 FD LS1/T56 money pit
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
Re: 1993 Volvo 945 L33
« Reply #165 on: February 04, 2019, 12:03:24 AM »
Always glad to contribute!   :D

Offline rallydallas

« Reply #166 on: February 16, 2019, 10:18:52 PM »
Got the pump installed FINALLY.  Took me all day, and that includes a trip to Summit Racing to get some AN6 bits.

Removed the old pump
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Modded the mount I bought

Installed new pump and bits I got from Summit

Drove it around the last hour, drives nice!  Pump is SUPER NOISY though.  It's sitting right under the driver seat and I don't have all the console bits in yet, so maybe that's why.  Time will tell.

Offline rallydallas

« Reply #167 on: February 18, 2019, 12:29:59 PM »
Ok, so this is from yesterday.  I'm worried that the pump I got from Amazon might be a fake.  Chigliakus said I should ask everyone here their opinion on it.

https://youtu.be/MbwlUjqFWxA

So the problem is the pump is crazy loud.  Questions:
1)  Is this a fake pump due to the noise?
-   "Sold by Amazon" so at least it isn't a straight-up reseller, but what is Amazon's source for Bosch pumps??
-   Had the new blue Bosch box with the fancy stickers and everything, the bag had shipping oil in it, etc, seems legit?
2)  Could the line between the tank and the Bosch have a crack and be pulling in air?
-   There is a test Schaeder valve in-line that I can look at the pressure, I'll try and do that soon.
3)  Could the in-tank pump be bad?
-   I ran the in-tank pump by itself last week just to verify that it was working.  It seemed to spin up for like 2 or 3 seconds and stop, I assume it stops after it builds up pressure?

:confused:

Offline rallydallas

« Reply #168 on: February 18, 2019, 10:55:18 PM »
Ok, I just got inside from fiddling with it a bit.

First thing I did was check the schraeder valve that's between the bosch and the in-tank pump.  It drooled some gas out.  No big deal.  This valve is like a bike tire one so I went and got a regular tire gauge.

I forced the fuel system on, no engine.  The bosch started quietly and then within like 4 seconds it ramped up to getting noisy noisy noisy, growling.  Ok so now I think I'm getting somewhere.  With the "pumps" on, I checked the pressure and it didn't read.  Then I opened the valve with my finger, the bosch got only a little bit louder.

So I think I have narrowed things down a bit to:
1)  Bad hoses leaking, up high, letting in air
2)  Bad in-tank fuel pump not flowing at all probably

Next I need to check:
1)  Run just the bosch for like 5 seconds to "clear the line"
2)  With the bosch off, run the in-tank pump
3)  Check for fuel in the line / pressure in the line (my guess is there isn't any)

Offline rallydallas

« Reply #169 on: April 01, 2019, 11:04:08 AM »
Boring boring stuff here.

Yesterday I finished dropping and replacing the gas tank.  Now that it is all back together, the 044 is actually normal-ish volume now.  Turns out the in-tank pump was in fact toast.

New intank pump and submersible hose from NAPA

~20 gallon tank with the new hoses

Repaired the dumb hose barb on the top of the tank

Hoping this keeps that barb from leaking / working its way out

Seems to work OK so far.

Offline etizz

« Reply #170 on: April 01, 2019, 03:56:12 PM »
I'll throw my 2 cents in cuz I kinda miss my volvo wagon. I had the same notchy shif ting with the oem master . Tried some tob shims,  still didn't make a difference . When I 8.8 swapped My car my shifts became butter . It was like the factory rear axle was binding somehow and making my shifts weird. I didn't have the car much longer after that but just some personal insight . Also I only used a walbro 400 in tank on mine no external pump
1957 Buick Special, LS1 08 ESCALADE AWD FRAME SWAP
WEIRD SAAB THING PROJECT TUBE CHASSIS REAR ENGINE V4 LS1 PCM CONTROL DBW EFI CNP IGNITION

Offline rallydallas

« Reply #171 on: April 04, 2019, 12:35:06 AM »
I'll throw my 2 cents in cuz I kinda miss my volvo wagon. I had the same notchy shif ting with the oem master . Tried some tob shims,  still didn't make a difference . When I 8.8 swapped My car my shifts became butter . It was like the factory rear axle was binding somehow and making my shifts weird. I didn't have the car much longer after that but just some personal insight . Also I only used a walbro 400 in tank on mine no external pump

Ok, thank you for the info!  At some point this will get an 8.8 for sure.  I've often wondered, how does everyone deal with the weird clam-shell rubber mounting of the 7XX/9XX rear when upgrading?  Just re-use / re-do the weird clam-shell rubber mounting?  I wonder if the rubber mounting might be causing the problem.

If I ever have to go into the tank on it again I'll probably do an in-tank install, so no worries there!  I'm thankful that this Bosch actually does work and isn't a weird screamer.

Offline SuperSlow

« Reply #172 on: April 04, 2019, 02:20:48 PM »
Love the car! I've been lusting for a swapped Volvo wagon to use in just the same way you are, would make the perfect daily.

Offline rallydallas

« Reply #173 on: April 05, 2019, 12:14:24 AM »
Love the car! I've been lusting for a swapped Volvo wagon to use in just the same way you are, would make the perfect daily.

Thanks!  All the 940s are pretty good and inexpensive cars.  I'd tell anyone to be prepared to replace the seats because at this point the supple Swedish leather is on its last thread in all of them.  The electrics are great, really simple 12V systems.  Good room in the engine bay for pretty much anything, and of course the solid rear axle makes it pretty easy to deal with.  This gas tank can be a pain in the ass but once you get the hang of it its not so bad.  Also my paint is finally beginning to grenade.  Since it is outside all the time, it is getting worse by the month.  I'm going to have to repaint it at some point.  Well I could go on forever about them!  If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Offline etizz

« Reply #174 on: April 05, 2019, 09:42:53 AM »

Ok, thank you for the info!  At some point this will get an 8.8 for sure.  I've often wondered, how does everyone deal with the weird clam-shell rubber mounting of the 7XX/9XX rear when upgrading?  Just re-use / re-do the weird clam-shell rubber mounting?  I wonder if the rubber mounting might be causing the problem.

If I ever have to go into the tank on it again I'll probably do an in-tank install, so no worries there!  I'm thankful that this Bosch actually does work and isn't a weird screamer.

not the thread jack but heres pics of my 8.8 swap. I used john giffin brackets (giffins performance shop on facebook) . then used speedway motors  swedged tubes with rod ends 10 and 12 inch I believe length. you swap backing plates left to right from normal so they don't hit the springs I think.  reuse the oem trailing arms but you knock the studs out and use longer bolts with spacers in between. I ended up converting to a 1 pc driveshaft which you have to hack some things underneath to clear that which includes 1 brake line needs rerouted . if you did a 2 piece theres no Volvo u joint to ford u joint that I'm aware of.

1957 Buick Special, LS1 08 ESCALADE AWD FRAME SWAP
WEIRD SAAB THING PROJECT TUBE CHASSIS REAR ENGINE V4 LS1 PCM CONTROL DBW EFI CNP IGNITION

Offline rallydallas

« Reply #175 on: April 05, 2019, 03:18:30 PM »

not the thread jack but heres pics of my 8.8 swap. I used john giffin brackets (giffins performance shop on facebook) . then used speedway motors  swedged tubes with rod ends 10 and 12 inch I believe length. you swap backing plates left to right from normal so they don't hit the springs I think.  reuse the oem trailing arms but you knock the studs out and use longer bolts with spacers in between. I ended up converting to a 1 pc driveshaft which you have to hack some things underneath to clear that which includes 1 brake line needs rerouted . if you did a 2 piece theres no Volvo u joint to ford u joint that I'm aware of.

Wow, that is money!!  You've gotta be one of the few I've heard of cutting the driveshaft tunnel support for a one-piece shaft!  I'm running a 2 piece right now, but maybe in the future 1 piece.  Thanks for the pics, they pretty much don't exist on the internet.