April 18, 2019, 03:18:25 PM

Author Topic: Blake's 1965 Mustang Project  (Read 156229 times)

Offline digitalsolo

• Administrator
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • LS1FC.com
Re: Blake's 1965 Mustang Project
« Reply #1815 on: February 11, 2019, 07:54:46 AM »
Thanks!
Blake MF'ing McBride
1988 Mazda RX7 - Turbo LS1/T56/ProEFI/8.8/Not Slow...   sold.
1965 Mustang Coupe - TT Coyote, TR6060, modern brakes/suspension...  project car
2013 Focus ST3 - Stage 1 BPU

Offline digitalsolo

• Administrator
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • LS1FC.com
« Reply #1816 on: February 14, 2019, 12:09:36 PM »
Dropped the seat off at the upholstery shop.   Should be ready in a few weeks!   Excited to see the interior all together!
Blake MF'ing McBride
1965 Mustang Coupe - TT Coyote, TR6060, modern brakes/suspension...  project car

Offline wickedrx7

« Reply #1817 on: February 14, 2019, 12:21:31 PM »
I hope they are doing a diamond pattern to match the front seats... ha!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 08:04:11 AM by wickedrx7 »

1993 Touring, 2012 L99, T-56, Ronnin 8.8, Ohlins, Speedhut, Samberg and lots of custom parts
Build Thread - http://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=19354.0
Pictures - www.flikr.com/wickedrx7

Offline digitalsolo

• Administrator
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • LS1FC.com
« Reply #1818 on: February 14, 2019, 01:29:32 PM »
Yep, that's why I'm having it done custom.   They're matching the vinyl pattern that's in place around the rear seat ("Sierra Grain") and matching the stitch color and pattern (including the size/layout of the diamonds).   Not sure if it'll just be all diamond stitch or an insert pattern, but they place does nice work (I took a look at a bit of it) and I'll trust their judgement on that.
Blake MF'ing McBride

Offline Nfinitecc

• Staged
  • [URL=http://s919.photobucket.com/user/WCStanford/m
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #1819 on: February 15, 2019, 01:33:07 AM »
Glad to see you got your seats done! That pattern is beautiful, it gets attention everywhere I go. I havenít been on this thread since you painted, very slick color.

Offline wickedrx7

« Reply #1820 on: February 15, 2019, 08:07:08 AM »
Yep, that's why I'm having it done custom.   They're matching the vinyl pattern that's in place around the rear seat ("Sierra Grain") and matching the stitch color and pattern (including the size/layout of the diamonds).   Not sure if it'll just be all diamond stitch or an insert pattern, but they place does nice work (I took a look at a bit of it) and I'll trust their judgement on that.

That will look killer!!!

1993 Touring, 2012 L99, T-56, Ronnin 8.8, Ohlins, Speedhut, Samberg and lots of custom parts
Build Thread - http://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=19354.0
Pictures - www.flikr.com/wickedrx7

Offline frijolee

« Reply #1821 on: February 19, 2019, 03:52:25 AM »
Just saying hello, dig the progress, and WOW what a difference an interior makes. 
LS2 stroker FC, Mandeville big brakes, widebody, etc
Build thread:  http://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=1274.0
www.roninspeedworks.com

LargeOrangeFont says: "Joel is right, and I love Joel. But his car sounds like the wrath of God."   ;)

Offline digitalsolo

• Administrator
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • LS1FC.com
« Reply #1822 on: February 19, 2019, 05:36:07 PM »
Thanks Joel!
Blake MF'ing McBride

Offline airwolf16

« Reply #1823 on: February 22, 2019, 02:48:36 AM »
Jelly!

looking great Blake! been digging the YT vids too
ďThe good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.Ē ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Offline digitalsolo

• Administrator
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • LS1FC.com
« Reply #1824 on: February 25, 2019, 09:33:34 AM »
Thanks!   I'll get some more videos put together shortly.    I've been working on wiring rework, interior stuff and alignment, none of which makes for entertaining video/pictures currently as it just looks the same before/after I'm done mostly.

I do have a couple plugs and other things en route to make some progress though.  I'm becoming pretty aware that time is not on my side to get this thing sorted if I want it on the road in May, so I'm going to try to start working on it more consistently.   The past few weeks have been less than useful as I was out of town 2 weekends in a row, then started a new job, got sick, had my son's birthday (with tons of family from out of town) so the car has mostly been sitting the past 3-4 weeks, with probably only 10-12 hours of time on it.

Anywho, I'm hoping to get back into it tonight as I'm mostly un-sick-ified and I should have the parts I need to finish up the wiring and start getting the HVAC work done/interior finished.    Then I need to find the pinhole leak in my radiator and fix it, double check everything, cut/buff the hood and install it, and align it for street testing.    Woohoo.
Blake MF'ing McBride

Offline digitalsolo

• Administrator
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • LS1FC.com
« Reply #1825 on: March 04, 2019, 12:56:04 PM »
So... updates.

Good news:   I finished rewiring the front fuse assemblies for the new mVEC CANbus modules (Eaton/Cooper/Bussmann mVEC 31m-000-2 for those curious).   I also wired up the driver door wiring pass-through to the a pillar area, power windows and power locks and tested all of that.   All the door wiring works well, though I need to flip some directional pins for the power window controls as a couple are going up instead of down, etc.  Anyway, success there.

Bad news:   A couple things here.   1.  My mVEC CAN controlled PDMs were working great in my test lab area.  I think they may have worked in the car, but I can't tell, because in the process of configuring one of the relays to be "on" when powered up, I apparently bricked them and now they report that there are no relays/fuses installed.   That's not good news.   I have an email out to Cooper/Bussmann to see if they can help, but it's somewhat disconcerting as those aren't cheap to replace.  I guess if they're bricked I'll tear them apart and rebuild the control circuitry myself or something.   Anywho, annoyed on that one.   2.  I may also have too much noise in the CANbus wiring in the car (unrelated to the bricking issue), but I went ahead and ordered some more wire and connectors so that I can split it out for dedicated connectivity if that's the case.   If it's not necessary, that's fine, a few spare wires and connectors are always handy to have around.  :)

I am hoping to finish up the driver door panels tonight/tomorrow and I did get most of the dash trim in.   Still fighting with the trim between the dash and windshield.   I need to get the rear package tray finishing panel modified for the 3 point rear seat belts and installed, and whenever I finish sorting out the fuse/relay control issues I can put the glovebox, HVAC hoses and gauges in, which should really start finishing off the interior.    I need to make mounts for the shifter and parking brake boots and then I can paint/install the center console cover and finish that off as well.

Rear seat should be done in the next couple of weeks as well, so I need to finish those interior rear quarter panel covers so that I can install the seats when they come in as the panels have to go in first.

I also ordered a steering wheel quick release as my wheel is a bit close to the dash and if it needs spaced out a couple inches, making it removable seems convenient.  :)

Oh, one more piece of good news I suppose.  The engine can be run even with the CAN relay control boxes "down" as it's a separate system where the ECU controls all of the relays/subsystems for the engine itself, so I have no turn signals/lights (other than brake lights, those are hardwired), so the car IS drivable, at least.
Blake MF'ing McBride

Offline freeskier7791

« Reply #1826 on: March 04, 2019, 01:31:18 PM »
are your Canbus circuits shielded?  Also the PDMS may need to be grounded a certain way to work

Offline digitalsolo

• Administrator
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • LS1FC.com
« Reply #1827 on: March 04, 2019, 05:11:53 PM »
Oh I can talk to the CAN modules, they just say they have no fuses/relays installed.   Itís weird.
Blake MF'ing McBride

Offline freeskier7791

« Reply #1828 on: March 04, 2019, 07:05:56 PM »
Oh I can talk to the CAN modules, they just say they have no fuses/relays installed.   Itís weird.
Weird, sounds like a board problem

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Offline digitalsolo

• Administrator
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • LS1FC.com
« Reply #1829 on: March 04, 2019, 11:47:01 PM »
So a quick update.   Eaton/Cooper/Bussmann (they have a lot of names) are quite helpful.   Makes me glad that I basically wired the whole car with their stuff (and plan to do a couple more that way).    They think the units may have somehow reset back to a factory flash state for some reason, but they're testing a unit on the bench to see if they can replicate.   They do agree it doesn't seem to be an expected behavior for what I did, so I feel about 9% better about that at least, LOL.

At any rate, I'm at least a bit optimistic that they'll find a solution to it.   I'd like to use these in some other builds in the future (because they're cool and a hell of a lot cheaper than most of the fancy PDUs, even if they aren't fully solid state).

I did put on my quick release steering wheel and bolted down coil packs.   So, small victories or somesuch.   I need a lemon squash.
Blake MF'ing McBride