March 22, 2019, 08:09:13 PM

Author Topic: Blake's 1965 Mustang Project  (Read 153205 times)

Offline digitalsolo

• Administrator
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • LS1FC.com
Re: Blake's 1965 Mustang Project
« Reply #1770 on: November 28, 2018, 09:14:01 PM »
If Iím ever declared king of the planet, I am burning all 60s Mustang aftermarket trim factories.

In other news, I yanked the spring clips off and Iím gluing that shit down with Windo-Weld.     This is more work than designing the freaking turbo kit!
Blake MF'ing McBride
1988 Mazda RX7 - Turbo LS1/T56/ProEFI/8.8/Not Slow...   sold.
1965 Mustang Coupe - TT Coyote, TR6060, modern brakes/suspension...  project car
2013 Focus ST3 - Stage 1 BPU

Offline 7m-gtte

• In The Bleach Box
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #1771 on: November 30, 2018, 09:50:47 AM »
Looking good. I try to avoid Scott Drake products when possible. They just never fit right.

Offline freeskier7791

« Reply #1772 on: December 05, 2018, 10:27:54 AM »
Who sells the daniel carpenter stuff?  Not sure if they have trim parts or just sheet metal.  They actually bought the old ford dies, and reverse engineer them.  I almost took a job there a few years ago

Offline freeskier7791

« Reply #1773 on: December 05, 2018, 10:29:52 AM »
I have not, but I'll take a look.    My weatherstripping so far has pretty much been all Scott Drake, which is pretty good (they resell a lot of the stuff, so it may be from Steele, in fairness).    I've had no issues with that so far.   The problem stuff has been the stainless steel trim around the front/rear windows.    The rear window lower piece didn't fit for crap, and the front upper was even worse.    I have Scott Drake lower in the rear now, and Scott Drake upper up front (again, made by others) and the fitment, while not 110% is MILES better.   In fairness, I'm sure the stock stuff didn't fit PERFECT either.    I occasionally have to remind myself this isn't a 2018 Bentley.  :P

If you need anything else https://www.steelerubber.com/search?year=1965&make=ford&model=mustang&style=2-door-hardtop&p=4

Offline digitalsolo

• Administrator
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • LS1FC.com
« Reply #1774 on: December 06, 2018, 09:08:04 AM »
Yeah, I hear Daniel Carpenter stuff is really nice;  I'd have gone that way if I knew about it before.  :(    That said, I do have all the trim on (finally) and almost all of the weatherstrip.   The door seal makes the door hard to shut (have to slam it) but I've read that's normal for a while and it'll get better once it's out in the sun (and not in 50* garage weather because it's stupid winter time).   So I'm not going to worry about that part for now.   If it still sucks this spring I'll swap it to Daniel Carpenter stuff though (I have Scott Drake door seals).

I now have ALL of the glass in the car, and all of the power windows functional (though not on switches yet).    That was a ROYAL PITA, and I still need to adjust things just a tiny bit.  It turned out my driver door was too far out, and then I aligned my fender to that, so I had to loosen the fender and the door, realign them all and start over.   I then chipped the paint on the door against the fender (damnit).   I've gotten good at fixing it, and I have spare paint though, so I touched it up and it's already basically invisible unless you know to look for it, and once I'm done it should be back to perfect, or at least as good as the rest of the paint.

My seats came in (Corbeau Trailcats) and I'm EXTREMELY happy with them.   They're nice and narrow (2" per side narrower at the shoulders, vs my old seats) which is a big deal because the old ones hit the door (just BARELY, but they did).    I'll get updated pics shortly.

I did scratch the poop out of the black paint on one of my rear quarter windows, so now I have to bag off the back part of the car, sand and respray that frame, which will be annoying, but such is life.    Next up immediately is finishing a bunch of sound deadening in the car, so that I can put down carpet, then after carpet is seat mounting for the new seats, then center console, then I can finish up the wiring.   I also bought texture paint to paint the interior side of the doors (which will also require bagging off the car to shoot them).

In other sorta related news, I actually sold one of my little CANbus boxes to AndrewB from the forum here for use in a Cougar project he has, to make electric power steering work properly, which is pretty neat.
Blake MF'ing McBride
1965 Mustang Coupe - TT Coyote, TR6060, modern brakes/suspension...  project car

Offline Cobranut

« Reply #1775 on: December 06, 2018, 04:53:09 PM »
Blake,

Any chance you could outline your chip repair technique?
I have a few bad chips I'd like to fix when I get the time.

Thanks
1995 FD, 7.0 Liter stroked LS3, T56, 8.8, Samberg kit.

Offline digitalsolo

• Administrator
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • LS1FC.com
« Reply #1776 on: December 27, 2018, 07:19:31 PM »
Sorry, been a crazy few weeks, I will cover the technique, but it's nothing fancy.  Basically, I do this:

Clean chip out well with fiberglass "chip cleaner" pen-thingie (Griots sells them)
Dab end of toothpick into color matched paint
Set toothpick end into chip and let capillary action feed paint into chip
Repeat until chip is fully matching color, repeat 1-2 more times just to get a good base that is even in color with car
Repeat above steps with clearcoat chip repair paint (I get it at Autozone)
If it's visible after repair, you can level it by gluing a piece of 2000 grit paper to a pencil eraser and lightly spinning the eraser/paper against the chip while keeping it slightly damp
Buff by hand with Meguiars M105/M205.

It'll get most chips between completely gone and only visible from like 8" away, which is good enough for me.  :)

I've been working on the car, slowly.   The paint chips are fixed, the wiring is in progress, and mostly, the center console is coming along.   I made it out of green foam board from Lowes, then wrapped that in fiberglass, then bodyworked it (fairly) smooth.  I was going to carbon wrap it, but I decided that A) it would be "fake" since it's just a top layer of carbon and B) that I'm not 100% sure I can get it "perfect" enough for my taste and that's an expensive lesson if I fail.    So, it's getting wrapped in marine grade vinyl fabric instead.   It should match the seat and I'm fairly comfortable with upholstery wrapping of parts, though this is a fairly complex piece.

I also picked up a new fusebox to run the power windows/power door locks.   I think I'm going to swap a second one of those in place for the one that was in the glovebox.    Nothing wrong with the old one, but this one looks nicer, is more compact, fits more fuses/relays and most importantly, when I open the glovebox, they'll both match and be symmetrical, because glovebox aesthetics are very important.   

The goal for this weekend is to get the center console wrapped, hopefully redo the seat rails a bit to fit my Corbeau piece, put the carpet in (YAY!) and final mount the CANbus boxes.    Stretch goal will be to get the power windows/power door locks/glovebox work done, which would mean that nearly the entire car will be wired up and ready.   Honestly, once all that's done, its just interior trimmings, grille/hood final work and the car should be streetable.

Oh!  And I ordered some 88# high impedance injectors from FAST.   They should drop into my rails and cover my HP goals for the near future.    Once this stuff is done, I need to borrow some toe plates and set camber/caster/toe and string up the car for alignment, then I just need new wheels/tires.   Pretty set on the Konig Dekagram in bronze, 17x9 +25 with (not sure on brand of tire yet) 255/40/17s on it.   I -can- fit a 275/40/17, but I think a 255 is sufficient for the car, and will fit better up front, and keeping it square should help balance for autocross/track/general behavior as well as allow me to rotate them.

Anywho, progress!   I'll get new pictures up in the very near future, so far its been boring non-photogenic stuff.  :P
Blake MF'ing McBride

Offline freeskier7791

« Reply #1777 on: December 30, 2018, 11:43:35 PM »
Sren the pics on IG, center console looks awesome.  I agree with a square setup on this car.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Offline digitalsolo

• Administrator
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • LS1FC.com
« Reply #1778 on: December 31, 2018, 01:40:42 AM »
Thank ya sir.   I'll get pics put up here shortly, it's been a busy December, haha.
Blake MF'ing McBride

Offline digitalsolo

• Administrator
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • LS1FC.com
« Reply #1779 on: January 03, 2019, 03:42:24 PM »
Still boring stuff, but I was able to validate that I can press a button a key fob and it unlocks the door.  Woohoo!

Working on the glovebox fuseboxes right now, the "main systems" box is working (stereo, EPAS, CANbus etc) and wired up (mostly) and the secondary fuseblock (power window relays/fuses and power door locks fuse) is about 60% done.   It just takes a LONG time.
Blake MF'ing McBride

Offline digitalsolo

• Administrator
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • LS1FC.com
« Reply #1780 on: January 14, 2019, 12:19:36 PM »
So...   I'm still working on this, just lots of boring crap getting marked off the list.

Here's what I've been doing:

1.  Glovebox fuseboxes are built, tested and diagram'd.
2.  Power door lock ECU is final wired and works properly.
3.  Power window switches are final wired and work properly.
4.  3 out of 4 power windows are fully wired and working.   Still need to wire up the driver side door, but the wiring is scabbed out at least.
5.  Stereo is wired up and functional.
6.  I rewired the ECU circuits for the brake light switch and clutch switch, and these now work properly.
7.  I rewired the ECU circuit for the AC and traction control disable switches, and these (probably) work, but the rest of it isn't done yet so I can't test it.
8.  I terminated and hooked up the flex fuel sensor, just need to power up the rear fusebox to make sure it works correctly.
9.  I filled one of the two "fresh air vents" in the dash that pull air from the cowl, as I don't use them.   I made a plate out of aluminum and attached it with urethane window weld (3M).   That actually worked very well!
10.  I remounted the brackets that hold the CANbus ECUs to the HVAC system (more window weld, 3M tape kept failing).
11.  I fixed a bad terminal in the CANbus ECU that was stopping it from working properly.    All functions seem to be working correctly now.
12.  I installed my 80# fuel injectors and test ran the car on them for a few minutes.
13.  I started reworking my fuel tables on the ECU to handle boost and look sane enough to start actually tuning once the weather breaks.
14.  I started building the Teensy 3.6 powered CANbus gauge adapter that will hook up to the new stereo to show AEM Infinity data on the Android head unit via RealDash.

I need to finish wiring the passenger door, touch up a little bit of programming in the CANbus ECUs, finish wiring the center console (traction control switch, hazards switch and AEM trim pot for boost mapping) and wire the rear ECU so that rear turn signals/tail lights/license plate light work, then tweak the seat brackets so that I can install the carpet/seats/door sills.    Then I need to touch up paint on the driver's door interior panels, and the rear 1/4 window trim.

When tax time comes, I'll probably snag a few bucks to get my headliner, door panels, dash pads, etc and get the interior done.   Maybe my new wheels/tires.   
Blake MF'ing McBride

Offline sonicgroove

« Reply #1781 on: January 14, 2019, 01:31:54 PM »
The electrical part is tedious and one of the more critical aspects that you hope functions right because they eventually get covered up and hidden in difficult to work areas. Though it may be boring that is a ton of progress you got done. No matter the type, updates are always exciting and something I always look forward to :popcorn:. Keep at it so you can continue to motivate me to keep at it.  :cheers:

-groovin
1987 MAZDA RX-7 LS1 T56 | 1995 MAZDA RX-7 ST PORT BOLT-ON'S ADAPTRONIC PNP | 1994 MAZDA RX-7 TSP 416 LS3 T56 MAGNUM E40 ECM

Offline digitalsolo

• Administrator
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • LS1FC.com
« Reply #1782 on: January 15, 2019, 03:58:47 PM »
Updates!

Ordered (and received) some goodies:

FAST 88# fuel injectors:

Corbeau Trailcat seats:

Painted the inside of the door with texture paint and satinblack:

Sound deadened the roof, floor and passenger door (still need to do the driver door and rear seat pass through area (which has been welded shut):

And started building a center console!   This is just construction foam and hot glue.   I am going to wrap it in fiberglass, then sand/finish it and wrap it in vinyl/leather upholstery.

Blake MF'ing McBride

Offline digitalsolo

• Administrator
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • LS1FC.com
« Reply #1783 on: January 15, 2019, 04:04:14 PM »
Wired up the glovebox mounted fuseboxes.   The one on the left is power windows (2 relays per window) and the one on the right is the ancillary systems like HVAC, stereo, IGN+ controlled enablement of the power windows (runs the other fusebox), power door lock ECU power, CANbus ECU power, etc.):

And the center console wiring, mostly done.  There is a ton of stuff here.   The center console contains:

1. Stereo, which has a USB CANbus adapter to read and display ECU information from my AEM Infinity using an AVR compatible microcontroller assembly and code I authored.
2. BMW E36/E39 window switches for all power windows, including an "all down" window switch.
3. BMW E36/E39 power door lock "unlock" button
4. AEM Trim Pot for fuel/boost map control.
5. "Billet Buttons" hazard button (lights up surround when active)
6. "Billet Buttons" traction control button (lights up when pressed, which disabled 3 channel traction control in the AEM)
7. A few spare connections for future use if needed (like signal when parking brake is set).

And the center console progress.  It's now fiberglassed, finished out and wrapped in leather-look vinyl.   The top plate is aluminum and attaches with neodymium magnets.  I don't have the armrest in place yet, but it will be shortly.   The top plate will get painted black texture finish to match the dash/door panels/etc.   The shifter boot isn't quite finished out yet and I still need to make one for the parking brake lever (as well as a handle for that).

Blake MF'ing McBride

Offline wickedrx7

« Reply #1784 on: January 15, 2019, 04:27:51 PM »
Everything is coming along nicely!  Those seats are mint, I love the look of them.   

For the center console, my only suggestion would have been to have the sides come up slightly higher than the aluminum top panel.  As it sits, it is going to look "stuck on".  If you would have recessed it slightly, it would have a much more finished look IMO. 

The switch panel, stereo layout is top notch! And having all these modern little things like power windows with auto-up feature is amazing.  It makes me forget that this thing will be a turbocharged monster....

1993 Touring, 2012 L99, T-56, Ronnin 8.8, Ohlins, Speedhut, Samberg and lots of custom parts
Build Thread - http://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=19354.0
Pictures - www.flikr.com/wickedrx7